99 EVO street port - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Engine

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 04:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

99 EVO street port

I'm having my ports cleaned up by the man I was told built the original dodge hemi heads when he worked for Chrysler.

I'm not sure other then making them flow right what all will be done, same size valves I think. What idea of h.p and torque numbers can I expect. I know no one can guess exact but what is an idea, least to expect to max just to give my mind something to think on.

My wrench does not dyno, all he can tell me is he's just started using this guy and the last bike he had done by "Radar" in Waterloo, Iowa ran stronger as if he just added the high compression pistons.

Mine came off yesterday and should be mailed out Monday. As expected my rear exaust valve guide seal was loose causing me intermediate blue smoke!

Last edited by Softail99fb; 11-04-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Softail99fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Cool

Unless they have a flow-bench in their garage , they're probably just another BS artist with a die-grinder. Ya can actually reshape and make ports flow worse if ya don't know what yer doing.

There's no BSing the airflow meter.
pb68slab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

its hard to say how much you will gain, alot depends on what is currently done to the motor,

ex. lets say your bike is all stock and all you are doing is porting, well...you may not see much more then a few hp because the stock ports are decent

now lets say you already have an exhaust, intake, bike bore, high compression pistons, cam, carb....now here is were porting will gain the most

you can get 90hp with stock ports though, and depending on who does you port work you may get a better or worse outcome....if the ports get hogged out and big valves are installed but yet you still have a small cubic inch motor then odds are you will lose more then you gain
Old 11-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

I should have mentioned my mods.

CV using NOKK needle 195 main 45 pilot. SE breather using a taller and wider at the top K&N filter. Cycle shack M pipes. Crane H-286-2B advanced, wisco advertised 10:1 pistons actual not known.

And the same man doing my heads has a contract building heads for a well know race team. He also designed a head that is still used today on an American made engine. I won't go any farther then that at the risk of being a tad off on repeating what I heard. I will say, he has all he needs to make them go!

Now thinking about it I'll wait until they get back and have my wrench ask him what I can expect. I never asked my wrench what he thought, darn just got caught up in how great the guy sounded!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
nitro freak

sounds like your getting fed a line of crap,inventors/designers of the hemi head can go back to the early 1900`s,& even if we`re talking about the "modern" hemi,we`re still talking the 50`s & early 60`s.kinda doubt someone that old is porting HD heads or doing work for a race team.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softail99fb View Post
I'm having my ports cleaned up by the man I was told built the original dodge hemi heads when he worked for Chrysler.
Assuming the original engineer was 20 years old (extremely young to head up such a huge project), and assuming that it was only designed the year before it was released (very unlikely) which was 1951. That would make your machinist 82 years old???
99FLHRCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

The guy is older, one reason why my wrench was in a hurry to get them off and sent out. He has employees. A mutual friend of myself and my wrench knows him that's how my wrench got started using him, my heads being the third sent to him. Our mutual friend took his to him and then picked them back up. I was kind of skeptical about the info too but our mutual friend, knows the man so???

Last edited by Softail99fb; 11-09-2012 at 05:36 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softail99fb View Post

I'm not sure other then making them flow right what all will be done, same size valves I think. What idea of h.p and torque numbers can I expect. I know no one can guess exact but what is an idea, least to expect to max just to give my mind something to think on.

My wrench does not dyno, all he can tell me is he's just started using this guy and the last bike he had done by "Radar" in Waterloo, Iowa ran stronger as if he just added the high compression pistons.

Mine came off yesterday and should be mailed out Monday. As expected my rear exaust valve guide seal was loose causing me intermediate blue smoke!

It would be helpful if you could have some flow numbers for us to peek at.
We know what these require to produce power.
Scott
Old 11-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
nitro freak

does this "porter" have the initials "SBC"?he`s about the only guy i could see making such statements,real jerk
Old 11-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

Garage
The Hemispherical head design was developed by Chrysler in the 40's - first for their airplane engine- then later for use in automobiles.

The original Chrysler Hemi engines: creation of the "double rocker" dynamos
chauss is offline   Reply With Quote