99 evo engine upgrade? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Engine

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

99 evo engine upgrade?

so I've got some whine coming from the cam and I'm thinking inner cam bearing. motor is all stock, never been apart, 99 Evo with about 44k miles on her. got to looking and I'm thinking about kickin it up a notch. choices are:

1) Revtech 110" Evo motor for $4900...

or

2) S&S 96" big bore stroker kit for $3700 and a shop to do the install, which I have no idea how much more that would cost

was thinkin to just do the cam, bearing, dynojet kit for the carb, new air cleaner, and better flowing pipes, but I figured if I was unhappy with this, it'd be like throwing money away. any suggestions?

do most of my riding on back roads of WI with my wife, and don't need too much power, but would like a little more torque out of the corners when I needed it
sbaumann14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

I know you're gonna get some responses on this, but you might let everyone know if it's an 883 or a 1200. Also, it's kind of traditional to post up a New Member thread, introduce yourself, include pix of your bike (these guys LOVE pix, man), may tell us a little about yourself.

You'll be glad you did, because (1) there are some really cool people on this forum, and (2) there is an encyclopedia of knowledge for whatever bike project you embark upon.

Welcome from Arkansas, man. I ride a '93 XLH1200 Sportster that has quite a few mods and runs like a scalded dog. I am in the midst of researching some ideas on how to really amp mine up. Maybe a big bore kit to bring it to 1250cc, new XB heads, stouter cams, 2-1 performance exhaust, modified brakes, modified forks, and a few other little suspension-related goodies. With this forum, I can research using the search function and get tons of ideas, advice, and so forth from experienced people. I can learn from their successes and failures (these guys will tell ya both, man!).

So start another thread, man, and tell us all about your current bike and a little about yourself, how long you been thunderin' around the country on motorsickles and such!
Old 11-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yep, should have done that.

Bike is 99 FLSTC with 1380 EVO motor. Am posting on new member thread now...
Old 11-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaumann14 View Post
Yep, should have done that.

Bike is 99 FLSTC with 1380 EVO motor. Am posting on new member thread now...
laffin' at myself man, dunno what it was that made me think you were on a sportster! Again, welcome to the forum, ignore me, but pay special attention to guys like Dave63, Schmidty, and lots of others.

Good luck with your bike! I'll go get some more coffee now.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Vanilla Gorilla

Garage
I may be wrong, and I hope someone will correct me if i am, but I believe if you put a revtec or S&S motor in there it can no longer be titled as a Harley-Davidson. You may want to just go with the cam, bearing, dynojet kit for the carb, new air cleaner, and better flowing pipes.

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the Seat.
DoubleJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleJ View Post
I may be wrong, and I hope someone will correct me if i am, but I believe if you put a revtec or S&S motor in there it can no longer be titled as a Harley-Davidson. You may want to just go with the cam, bearing, dynojet kit for the carb, new air cleaner, and better flowing pipes.
yeah, but what the DMV don't know.....
Old 11-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
so I've got some whine coming from the cam and I'm thinking inner cam bearing. motor is all stock, never been apart, 99 Evo with about 44k miles on her. got to looking and I'm thinking about kickin it up a notch. choices are:

or

2) S&S 96" big bore stroker kit for $3700 and a shop to do the install, which I have no idea how much more that would cost

was thinkin to just do the cam, bearing, dynojet kit for the carb, new air cleaner, and better flowing pipes, but I figured if I was unhappy with this, it'd be like throwing money away. any suggestions?

do most of my riding on back roads of WI with my wife, and don't need too much power, but would like a little more torque out of the corners when I needed it
I would do S&S over Revtech any day...

It may be that the only purpose for your life is to serve as a warning to others.
nipplesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:

or

A 96" S&S kit, using your re-worked heads, etc, along with a Wood 6 cam, at 10.0 cr, will have GREAT torque, and the ability to push off a very good hp number as well.
It is a combination that we, here, have built many times.
Smooth, broad torque, with almost stock-like reliability.
Reported fuel economy from one client locally, is 47-49 mpg..........unless he is rippin' on it.
Scott
Old 11-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleJ View Post
I've read that it's based on the frame numbers. If you buy an aftermarket frame it comes with a Certificate of Origin and your bike becomes a custom bike. I've never seen that done with aftermarket motors. If you buy a factory frame you have to saw off the neck of your frame and send it to Harley Davidson and you will recieve a frame with matching numbers. Maryland does record the engine number on the title but only to verify that the engine isn't off a stolen bike when you apply for a title, and to report to authorities if your bike is stolen. Different states may do this differently. Check with your local DMV.

Jonathan

Dollar for the drink. Dollar for the honey. Burning a hole. Gotta spend my girl money.

KIX
Jon_Fatboy_P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Washington its tied to the frame. That being said I'd vote s&s kit. I just did the 106 kit and even tho its in the break in period so I haven't romped on it I'm very happy so far
zeus0909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.