Lifters for cam swap? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Engine

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Lifters for cam swap?

My Harley shop told me I need new lifters when I swap my cams... I have 20k on the bike. Is this a standard procedure or is he trying to get 120 more dollars out of me?
God Bless
Michael

Sent from my XT912 using Motorcycle.com Free App
mquilty3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
I'll help you hide the body

IMHO...They do not need to be replaced unless you see signs of wear.

I can see where he is coming from, "if your in there" kinda deal and it is not a huge expense, but again I say it is not really required.

borrowed from gtrman66
Rules:
#1. Post #1: "New to Community"
#2. Buy a HD Service Manual, best $70 you'll spend
#3. Try the search function, we might have already answered your question
#4. Don't post classifieds until you meet the rules
#5. Don't bad mouth dealers until we know you, there are always 2 sides
misinlink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

At 20K, that's a judgement call. HD recommends checking or replacing at 25K. With that being said, I have 42K on mine, and they make no noise, nor are there any issues.

Inspect them when doing the cams. Make sure there's no marks on the rollers, side play with the rollers/needle bearings, or scores on the roller or tappet sides.

$120 isn't a lot of cash, considering the time and possible damage that can result with a lifter going south. There's no more replacable lifter blocks and tappet failure now could result in a trashed right side case half, and a $329 oil pump.

Too boot..... you're placing lifters with 20K on a new cam, that now has taller lift, and more duration, which equated to more pressure on the lifters.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

The "C" lifters that are the current Moco production lifters are made in Mexico, and have a lot of lateral roller movement, vs the older "B" version.
If you are going to replace(which, as already said, is not mandatory)the lifters, we'd suggest the S&S units.
They are more expensive, but they are top-shelf, and those are the ones we rely on here, day in, day out, with our engine building program.
Scott
Old 11-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
Dave and Scott know what they're talking about - listen! You are already making a significant investment, why not buy the peace of mind and replace them?
bikedelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you all very much! I've learned more in the last 3 days than I have in the last year reading all of the posts... and having my questions answered.... again thank you... and I'm glad to hear that my Harley dealer isn't just trying to up sell something! Good stuff!
God Bless
Michael

Old 11-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

We always replaced the lifters ( solid or hydraulic ) in race cars any time there was a cam change . Different wear patterns on old used lifters are not a good idea when reusing them on new cam lobes .
It only cost a little more to go first class !
THE ROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ROAD View Post
We always replaced the lifters ( solid or hydraulic ) in race cars any time there was a cam change . Different wear patterns on old used lifters are not a good idea when reusing them on new cam lobes .
It only cost a little more to go first class !
I agree 100%, however, cars have flat tappets that the lifter wears to the cam lobe, where as HD's tappets are roller tappets. Much less friction. Still a wear pattern, but not as critical as flat tappets.

Are you guys running roller cams and lifters?
Old 11-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

LOL !
Naw , just participating in the conversation . My 2-cents ain't worth diddle squat !
THE ROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you all... for the 120 I'll do it...