High pitched "tweep".... Sry, all I could think of! - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Engine

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 06:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlideWide View Post
Found out this noise is caused by pre detonation..... Taking bike in along with the SE tuner to get rid of it. In the mean time, can this cause damage? What should I check to make sure everything is ok? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
CAN it cause damage? Absolutely. In bad cases it will overpressurize a cylinder, which can lead to leaks, etc. Another term for it is engine knock or pinging. Chances are you'll get it tuned, it goes away, and you ride happy for many moons.

It may be that the only purpose for your life is to serve as a warning to others.
nipplesurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
nitro freak

sounds like a exaust leak,seen(heard) it many times.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Exhaust leak? Never thought about that..... Hmmmm.... Well I did take it into the dealership because it was just to hard for me to explain so I really didnt know what to search for or even describe it for some suggestions.noise was Totally one of a kind...

After having one of the service guys ride it and listen to it , he told me it was pre-detonation from the recent tune due to basically it being difficult to get the higher air2fuel ratio spot on like the lower gears are. He said all I would need to do is bring in the SE tuner box and they would do it all on the PC then flash it back on there again?
Pro - I am not disagreeing with u at all, just want to add as much details to make sure I get this taken care of. I have absolutely no clue when it comes to this so I am all about any feedback and learning I can do! Any and all suggestions are always welcome!

Back to the noise- 5th/6th gear if running at a constant speed then giving the throttle hell, it will do it.

I do appreciate the info and help from you guys

GlideWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #14 (permalink)

Garage
Decades ago while in the Navy a group of buddies and I would race "street stock" on dirt track ovals in S California. Always used 351C engines and since all machine work was done in shops at 32nd Street Naval Station San Diego for free, we could do quite a bit and still not worry about engine claim fees. For the last race of the season we'd go down to Mexico and run with some of the modified classes.

To even have a "snowballs" chance we'd run 110 octane aviation fuel and significantly advance the timing along with several other "bolt on" mods. No biggie the engine was done anyway and was going to be replaced (actually after a season on dirt tracks the entire car minus a few parts was replaced).

I've seen bent rods, bent cranks and holes knocked in pistons from pre detonation.
secoleman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

Garage
Pre-detonation, otherwise known as "pinking" or pinging and sounds like it. Doesn't sound like a tweep in my mind. Also very destructive - piston crowns look like they've been attacked by starving mice. And that's if you catch it before they burn right through.
If it's not a leak (exhaust or head-gasket) then it might be something to do with the backlash etc of your new cam If it didn't do it before the change and it's getting better as it wears then my money is on something too tight related to the cam.
Baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

Man, had no clue this could be so damaging. Great info guys, When I take it in Saturday and they tweak the tune I will post the results and any findings. I am also going to have them look at the pistons and rods etc, I hope no damage has occurred from this, I have put over 1500 miles on the bike since the installation. We shall see

Old 12-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Garage
Yes I wouldn't call it a "tweep" noise .... always sounded more like we had marbles bouncing around inside the cylinders to me or at least what I think marbles bouncing around inside would sound like
secoleman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
nitro freak

try loosening up the pipes @ the head,then re-tighten.if the pipes not seated in the gaskets,youll get a "tweep" (it sound just like that)alot of times after about 100 miles,carbon will seal the leak on its own
Old 12-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #19 (permalink)

Will do man, I just put a flame up by the heads and it did have some air blowing it around, I think you are spot on with the exhaust leak now that I have been checking it out

Old 12-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
nitro freak

betcha thats what it is