Cam input - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Engine

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Cam input

Looking for some input on SE 255 versus SE 259E cams for a 103. Already have a tuner, cold air and V&H Power duals.
V&H Fuel Pac
KN Cold Air
swerve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'd suggest to take a peek at an S&S .570.
It'll shed heat better that the 255, and @ your current 9.6 cr, your in the zone for that cam's compressions wants. (10.0 cr max)
Another option is a Wood 222.
Scott
Old 12-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsidecycleco View Post
It'll shed heat better that the 255, and @ your current 9.6 cr, your in the zone for that cam's compressions wants. (10.0 cr max)
Scott
Thanks man appreciate the input.
V&H Fuel Pac
KN Cold Air
Old 12-12-2012, 06:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
nitro freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsidecycleco View Post
Scott
i agree,the .570`s are probley the best "all around" cam for milder builds.we use `em alot!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Millwright

I removed 255's and went with the 259's along with a "Race Kit Stage IV" 103". Prior to that the 255's With intake, exhaust and a dyno tune got me 92 hp and 109 tq. The bike felt really good, power down low is as good as it gets, period. Revs to 4500rpms with tons of pulling power from 2Kup. It was very good for a bagger.
I wanted more power, a 120R was where I was going when the HD folks called me with this kind of hard to find Race Kit 103 that would pull 110/110 numbers. It was nearly 2K less money and left me the 120R for a future power increase. The numbers were close to advertised, with 117hp/111tq my gains were mostly in the top end area as compared to the 255's. But compared to stock, I am light years ahead from 2500rpms on. It has more bottom end than stock, almost up to the 255 level until 3Krpms, then the 259's pull away fast and the hp is still climbing at a still pretty steep angle when 6250 redline hits. I wish it would wind to 6500, I think it would break the 120 hp easily.
As a guy who has had both of these cams that the OP has asked about, I would say what type of riding and what bike. The 255's for the touring bike with load, long distance and no need to down shift is what they do best. The 259's are great for lighter bikes, my RGC, would be as heavy of a bike as I would use them on. For hotrodding and the like, 259's are the way to go.

103" w/Race Kit,Stage IV 117HP 111TQ
SE 259E Cams
SE Heavy Breather AC (Scott's modified)
SE Race Tuner
V&H Power Duals & Hi Outputs
SE CNC Heads 10.62/1 w/SE 58mm TB
John Scott port matching
Renegade Racine wheels. 21x3.5/ 17x6.25
http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com...845-petew.html
petew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

A Wood 9B, in a properly set-up/tuned 103"er will tap on 120/120.
Scott
Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Millwright

Scott, why is my HP higher than my TQ? Any ideas as to why this kit is climbing steeply at 6250 rpms? I know when they did the cams, barrels, and heads my mech checked the crank runout and said he was excited to find everything so close to perfect, and where the gear would go on to the crank, .0002( yeah, two tenthousands) and if I ever go to some gear drive setup w/cams it is great. It is very smooth from idle to 6250, reminds me of something much more balanced, like a rubber mounted "B" motor if u get my meaning.

103" w/Race Kit,Stage IV 117HP 111TQ
SE 259E Cams
SE Heavy Breather AC (Scott's modified)
SE Race Tuner
V&H Power Duals & Hi Outputs
SE CNC Heads 10.62/1 w/SE 58mm TB
John Scott port matching
Renegade Racine wheels. 21x3.5/ 17x6.25
http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com...845-petew.html
petew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ended up going with 259Es, pistons, race springs and push rods. Have to see where it ends up.

Thanks for all the input too guys. Helped a bunch.
V&H Fuel Pac
KN Cold Air

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.