Engine Sputters/Cuts Out - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Engine

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 12:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Engine Sputters/Cuts Out

I have a sputtering problem once I get on the road. I have replaced the spark plugs, replaced the fuel and the bike starts right up with the choke out, then after a few I can push the chock in and it will idle. I get on her and start going through the gears (revving the RPM’s) and once it gets in 4th or 5th gear…it will start sputtering and cutting out (sometimes it will completely die). If it dies it will start right back up in neutral and then it will sputter a little bit while I “nurse” her back to my garage. It seems like “once the engine and oil gets hot then I have problems.

I little history…I took my old vance and hines longshots and cut them to be “shorties” about a year ago…I haven’t had any problems with it and have since put about 5,000 miles on her. Last September, I replaced my stock air breather with a Forcewinder XR and took her to Kansas City for a bike show. I rode her there and back (400 miles) and didn’t have any problems…I put her away for the Fall and Winter because I was deployed to the “sandbox”. My wife would start her once every couple weeks to keep the fluids running and battery charged. I took her out last week and stated having the problems I have now.

Since I modified the pipes and replaced the air breather…I have not dyno-tuned her…do you think that has something to do with it and if so what am I to do in the mean time?

Please advise!
kevin.sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

What kind of bike and engine setup do you have? It wouldn't be anything with the pipes or breather since you've ridden right after the mods and no complications.

Check into the new members forum and introduce yourself.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48emodelpanhead View Post
Check into the new members forum and introduce yourself.
+1

It sounds as if you're running out of gas.

It's a 2001 but you never mentioned if it's EFI or carbed?

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Sounds like vapor lock or a bad coil
Badassbrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the comments

It is a carb version and have checked the coil, replaced fuel, plugs and will be taking off the carb an checking jets and diaphram. Hoepfully someones advise will work!
Old 03-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

P.S. It is a 2001 FLSTF - carb
Old 03-20-2009, 04:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
when did it start 4u

no gas or bad gas.....did you drain all the fuel or just add more ?
2011 Subaru OB (DD)

A great man once said
" you better keep your traps shut, bc you know what they say, People in glass houses sink ships"
Jacket4256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket4256 View Post
no gas or bad gas.....did you drain all the fuel or just add more ?
He wrote.....:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.sargent View Post
.... replaced the fuel....

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
SNAFU organizer

Working on the theory that this was a problem After the winter set up I'd offer your battery still could be lame or the connections get warmed up and get a little loose. Gunk and junk in your carb and float bowl. I think you got a drain valve on it for the float bowl, open and see what pops out.
vlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
when did it start 4u

yes i see that he worte that he replaced the fuel but does that mean he added more or drained it all out....
2011 Subaru OB (DD)

A great man once said
" you better keep your traps shut, bc you know what they say, People in glass houses sink ships"
Jacket4256 is offline   Reply With Quote