shovelhead- stock or stroker - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Engine

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

shovelhead- stock or stroker

Ok guys need some help. i'm getting ready to build a motor, a shovel, and need to the pros and cons of building a strocker or going stock. i have bought used cases have all other parts except rods (one is broke went through the case). so i have to buy new rods anyway. havn't checked checked the wheels yet so dont know if i can use them. but i do have new heads. my question is when building a stroker motor what all has to be changed from stock? is it worth it? any help will be helpful.
hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2009, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Luke 22:36

Garage
You will need a stroker crank and stroker pistons.

Is it worth it? I think so, I did it to my TC when it only had 300 miles on it.

Id say do it now, since you are asking about it. If you don't, you will always be asking yourself "what if"?
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
Kainam is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2009, 12:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

If it is stock and unworked cases You might have to machine out the cases for bigger wheels,depending on how much of a stroker You are going to build.
I agree,If You are thinking about it now then do it.
MrMarty51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2009, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

thats what im thinking too. the what if factor! thanks
Old 03-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Only do a mild stroker nothin big that way itll be dependable a big stroker isnt trust me I know found out the hard way on many a bike and they were all kickstart.
Badassbrutus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
Ok guys need some help. i'm getting ready to build a motor, a shovel, and need to the pros and cons of building a strocker or going stock. i have bought used cases have all other parts except rods (one is broke went through the case). so i have to buy new rods anyway. havn't checked checked the wheels yet so dont know if i can use them. but i do have new heads. my question is when building a stroker motor what all has to be changed from stock? is it worth it? any help will be helpful.
I agree, in that a mild stroker maintains reliability. Shovels are a tad doggy when bone stock, but a mild stroke, stock flywheels, a decent cam, upgraded carb and thought out exhaust make them run their best. The 1984 jugs were 1340ccs, over the 80cid ones used for the years prior.

You can check with some experienced builders regarding good slugs to run it it, and up the compression a little over stock, but not crazy, especially if it's kick-start only. If not, you'll be looking at compression releases installed in the heads.

My 72 had stock crank, Keith Black Hyperutectic pistons, stainless, Nitrid coated valves, 3 angle valve job, Andrews cam, Reworked Zenith/Bendix carb and shorty mufflers. It pulled that fat, heavy FL sled very well. It wasn't stroked, but had I kept it, that would have been the next step.....

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

ok this is my first build so i don't know much trying to do all research, thats why im here. when you say mild stroke do you mean 4.5 stroke with stoke jugs? or with stock rods? i was thinking 4.5 stroke with big jugs and mild pistons and stock heads? am i close or way off?
Old 03-24-2009, 09:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

ok this is my first build so i don't know much trying to do all research, thats why im here. when you say mild stroke do you mean 4.5 stroke with stoke jugs? or with stock rods? i was thinking 4.5 stroke with big jugs and mild pistons and stock heads? am i close or way off?
Old 03-24-2009, 11:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Luke 22:36

Garage
Just wondering, are these cases from a 80" engine?

Cylinder length will be stock length unless you get into the more radical strokers.
How you can do this is with stroker pistons that locates the wrist pin higher up in the piston so that it is at the same height as stock at TDC, it just gets pulled down further than stock at BDC.

You can go 4 5/8" stroke before you need longer cylinders on 80" Shovel cases.

9.5:1 pistons at 3 5/8" bore would put you at ~96"
Woods W6 for a cam
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
Kainam is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

I got my cases today. they were made in 04-82 hd shovel 80". so 4 5/8 stroke would that be stroker crank, wheels , and rods?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.