Seafoam and you. - Page 10 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Engine

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #91 (permalink)

Garage
Well I work for a construction company with a fleet of trucks ranging from 1/2 ton to 1 ton job vehicles, Backhoes, cranes, drilling equipment, graders, bulldozers you name it.

I think MY particular service vehicle is the lowest mileage at 187K. The primary mechanic buys cases of seafoam for use in all of them. I fully intend to start adding it to my 2012 FLTRX fuel on the next fill up just in case I don't get to ride much this winter.

Our mechanic has been running it in the crankcase oil of all equipment longer than I've been there (6 years). I've never seen a truck out of commission due to mechanical problems with the rotating parts of the engine.
secoleman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #92 (permalink)
Retired firefighter

Garage
Been running it in my 96 u/c with shell v-power this last year,can't complain,any idea how much to add to the oil and for how long?
My 96 has 52k on it,runs like a champ like to keep it that way.

A old scout once said...Lead...Follow...or get the hell
out of the WAY
KMAN96ULTRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #93 (permalink)

Garage
KMAN I don't think I am going to put any Seafoam in my oil....My Heritage Classic is the same year model as yours with 43k on it.....running too good right now and would be afraid to add anything to the Mobil V-Twin Full Syn Oil that I use in it....It likes it a lot....
mgosset1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #94 (permalink)
Poon Beetle

Dave, last time I rode my bike, I was beginning to notice a noise that bothered me. It was not a whine, but more subdued. I was like a subtle sound, like a light blowing of wind through the trees. Like, "Sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh." Bike seemed to run fine, mechanically. No noticeable issues other than the noise. Any thoughts? Just curious.

I got these lines in my face, tryin' to straighten out the wrinkles in my life... Ramblin' Jack Elliot/Guy Clark

The sweet bird of youth, was sittin' on my shoulder yesterday, but she's always changin' partners and I always knew she'd up and fly away... Larry Mahan/Guy Clark

Vaya con Dios, Rick "Rubberdown" Massey ~ May you rest in eternal peace
Mongo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #95 (permalink)

Garage
almost sounds like your front brake pad or pads talking to you....
mgosset1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #96 (permalink)
Poon Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgosset1 View Post
almost sounds like your front brake pad or pads talking to you....
Well, while it does seem to be coming from the front, it's definitely the engine. I notice it while stopped, so the brakes are not under active strain, other than holding the bike at a full stop.

I got these lines in my face, tryin' to straighten out the wrinkles in my life... Ramblin' Jack Elliot/Guy Clark

The sweet bird of youth, was sittin' on my shoulder yesterday, but she's always changin' partners and I always knew she'd up and fly away... Larry Mahan/Guy Clark

Vaya con Dios, Rick "Rubberdown" Massey ~ May you rest in eternal peace
Mongo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #97 (permalink)

back to Seafoam, I used it in a Rd* and 2010 UC. For the past two years I have consistently used a fuel enhancer manufactured by Shellbourne Fuels AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH - About Fuel You Buy?

Product has 24% Improved lubricity and aids in the elimination of carbons, gum, varnishes, clogged injectors and sludge. It off-sets the ethanol in the gas and increases performance.

I put 50,000 km on the 2010 UC. I used this product every 2-3 tanks or whenever the top end got a little noisey or when the ethanol was cutting down on performance. Now using it in the 12 FLTK and getting same results. We just got licenced as a refinery in USA (Washington State)

http://www.lighthouse-environmental-products.com/
Old 11-29-2012, 01:49 AM   #98 (permalink)

here is a link to the seafoam website that explains how much to use and how to use it.

Sea Foam | Tech Info - Gas Engines
mrmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:17 AM   #99 (permalink)

Garage
Mongo, it's not a head gasket leaking is it?
bikedelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3OliveMartini View Post
i freaking hate that i cannot find gas that doesnt have ethanol in it.. i have noticed my car gets worse gas mileage.. i dont notice it so much on the bike since my tank is so small.. it makes me crazy..
Check at marinas or close to marinas. It is often used in boats because there is so much water around the ethanol creates bigger problems.
99FLHRCI is offline   Reply With Quote