Seafoam and you. - Page 9 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Engine

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #81 (permalink)
'10 Street Glide

Location: The great Northeast, where riding's a challenge half the year
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJo View Post
I use Sea Foam primarily just before an oil change. I like to pour about 4 oz directly into the crankcase and ride my bike for a half-hour or so, then drain the oil. I also change my oil VERY frequently (I do it the first chance I get after it has 2000 miles on it). Any gas cans I have fuel in around the house (for lawn mowers and such) are always treated with Sea Foam. It is good stuff. I'm a definite believer.
Good point. I forgot about its crankcase use. I have friends who do the same thing and they swear by it.

-jp
Old 11-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #82 (permalink)

i'll bet the E-10 is also the cause of rusty tanks even when kept full E-10 absorbs water i have several B&S engines that have rusty tanks which in turn makes em usless unless you change out tanks which is costly !! i too am now a sea foam user
wammerjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #83 (permalink)

I ran seafoam in my cage and it caused a check engine light. (that is evedently not an uncommon occourence for this to happen with an HHR) Has anyone had a problem with Seafoam in their bike? Is it worth putting some seafoam in my '07 883 with 12000 miles? Should I put it in the gas tank? Crank case? Gear box?
Mad Dog 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #84 (permalink)
Imperial Wizard...

Just ran awhole can in my Cobalt..the OL went to south Texas got 34mpg...about 3-4 mpg better than normal..never had check engine light come on before....HHR and Cobalt same platform I belive....
Old 11-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #85 (permalink)

Garage
Dave i have been using Seafoam for years, but just in the gas tank.....have never put any in the oil......my 96 heritage classic might like some in the oil with 43k miles on it....but it runs great just like it is....engine has never been touched...I live in Texas and come spring i am going to go to straight 50w oil......and may start using it then....I always add seafoam about every other tank if i think about it......

I had a Yamaha Vmax that I bought with serious carb issues...from setting up and not being ridden...Yamaha house quoted me 800 minimum to take the carbs out and rebuild them....Thats when I started using the Seafoam with every tank....I took about 7 tanks but it cleaned them carbs where it would idle and run out right.....You would never get the Yamaha house to believe it thou...lol....
mgosset1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #86 (permalink)

I found some information on the internet that lead me to believe it was not too uncommon to have a slight issue. I ran a couple of tanks of fuel without seafoam and cleared the code... all was good. Dont get me wrong though, I am not saying anything bad about Seafoam. I truly believe it helped in the long run. It did wonders for my Jeep. I am just curious about the benefits of running a bit in my Sportster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeforktx View Post
Just ran awhole can in my Cobalt..the OL went to south Texas got 34mpg...about 3-4 mpg better than normal..never had check engine light come on before....HHR and Cobalt same platform I belive....
Mad Dog 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #87 (permalink)
Imperial Wizard...

I ran some though my gas EZ-Go lifted golf cart...made a big differnce in it..it was kinda spiting and sputering..cleared it right up....I never used Seafoam till this year...I always used the Berryman...a little pricey..but good...
Old 11-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #88 (permalink)
JPR

Garage
I've had my 103 Heritage for about a year. Much of the gas that has been run has had SeaFoam in it.

No error lights or numbers. Runs fine just as it should. I use it more in the winter to keep water condensate well dispursed. It will also keep the fuel line and injectors clean as well as the upper end.

I've used it in all my engines with good results and no problems including a 30 year old 11 HP desiel on a sail boat.

I ride therefore I am (Veho Ergo Sum) JPR

65 Italian scooter
66 305 Rice burner; NO PROBLEMS
67 650 English Bike; MAJOR PROBLEMS
1968/XLCH - lots of mods; loved it for 11 years; NO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS
2012 Heritage 103 Rush 2.0 pipes "MAMBO #5"
bought all brand new except scooter

There's a picture of the sportster after all the mods in my images file.
JPR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kink04fxd View Post
I have about 10 of those old tiller motors, from 53 to 66 all run just fine on E-10. Believe what you want, but I have never had any problems with E-10 fuel. 30,000 on the bike, 160,000 on my 96 Impala SS, never a fuel related issue.
My heads had just under 80 thou on them before sending them off For a street port job because of a valve guide seal issue, other then that there in great shape. My pistons have 43,000 Miles on them. They were put in to match my cam. My wrench said the hone marks were still visible and the pistons still felt tight, all with 10% blend.

My Nissan pickup had 122,000 on nothing but 10% blend, I sold it because it rusted away.

I too have trouble seeing the issues, but it seems there is reason to Wonder if I'm doing the right thing.

Edit:

So I just did some more research on my reasons to run 10% blend. I've used it sense new in my cagers and my EVO. So if the ethanol is supose to clean all that crap left from age, mine in my mind has been kept clean from ethanol so there is nothing to clean?

My s10 is an 02 my edge is an 06. 76,000 on the s10 56,000 on the edge all with 10% blend. The only thing that went wrong with the s10 was the senser by the tank. I was told it was moved under the hood on the newer trucks because gravel roads, dust plugged them back by the tank.

My manual says it's ok to run 10% blend in my EVO so the rubber and plastic is safe. my carb is original, just under 80,000 and it's never had an issue, not even a plugged jet!

Run it in engines designed for it and you will be fine. I'll keep up like I have.

Last edited by Softail99fb; 11-22-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Softail99fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #90 (permalink)

I've used seaform in my pickup. It had a funny miss so I stoped at the parts store and got every thing to tune it up. It still ran like crap. I went back and got seafoam, no joking I got three blocks away from the store and it snapped out of it's funny miss! I now use one can a year in my tanks of my cagers and put it in my 5 gallon gas cans I use for my snowblower lawn mower and power washer. It's good stuf.

I've never used it in my engine oil. I've never had an issue with odd noises. But if I do I will give it a try.
Softail99fb is offline   Reply With Quote