Seafoam and you. - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Engine

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Parts Junkie

Seafoam and you.

Anyone that owns an Evo knows it has some upper end valve issues and funky noises. There's lifter issue and a Moco bulliten, there's the inner INA cam bearing issue, (Timken replacement is suggested) and there's the dreaded cam "whine" that progresses to tell you it's going south.

I've been plagues with the "Ticky-Lifter" syndrome, specifically the front exhaust lifter, as expected.

Today, I yanked the lifter screen, and sure enough, it was spotless, as expected, since i maintain the bike well. It has 30,400 miles on it, ridden easy and I use straight 50wt in temps above 50*, and 20-50 below that.

I reinstalled new exhaust gaskets to eliminate that noise ability, then drove the bike 10 miles to go get coffee. Same lifter noises, same highway noises......

Stopped at Napa, and bought a 16oz can of Seafoam. Placed 5 onces (1 oz per gallon) in the gas tank, and 4.5 onces (1.5 per qt) in the oil.

Took the same 10 mile highway (55-70 mph) ride.

FOR THE RECORD:

I'm NOT a believer in magical-mystical goopy-cans of shit you pour in your tank/oil and it rebuilds the engine, but I still can't get over the lack of sound, and the change in the engine. Enough, that I took it out and rode another 10 miles, WANTING to hear noise, and nadda......

No noises. 75% less ticky. No NOTHING, than the usual valvtrain noise in the rockers, and very mild cam whine. It was the quietest I've heard the engine since I've owned the bike....ever.

I attribute some of it to plain, old top end lubrication assistance, refering to 10% ethanol use and some of the nasty things it can do, like drop mpg....:

Consumer Reports has issued manufacture warnings regarding damanging effects of E10 10% ethanol fuel on engines including Harley Davidson. Damaging effects include corrosion of metal and non metalic parts in engines, including oxygen sensor damage, piston ring sticking and piston bore failure due to the costic effects of running E10 alcohol gasoline. The report suggest frequent oil changes and to follow manufactures recommended maintenance schedules.

Discuss.................
Old 04-29-2009, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
when did it start 4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
Consumer Reports has issued manufacture warnings regarding damanging effects of E10 10% ethanol fuel on engines including Harley Davidson. Damaging effects include corrosion of metal and non metalic parts in engines, including oxygen sensor damage, piston ring sticking and piston bore failure due to the costic effects of running E10 alcohol gasoline. The report suggest frequent oil changes and to follow manufactures recommended maintenance schedules.

Discuss.................
man we didnt have the e10 crap in our gas forever, but we finally have it all stations now I hate the crap I can tell a world of difference in the bikes less mpg and the 88 dont run as good, and my gto is a diff story but it hates the gas I have gotten where I keep a little 5 gal thing of 120 around to mix it in my car
2011 Subaru OB (DD)

A great man once said
" you better keep your traps shut, bc you know what they say, People in glass houses sink ships"
Jacket4256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Luke 22:36

Garage
E10 bad, Avgas good.
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
Kainam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Just passing thru

Avgas?

Pics
EZE RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Luke 22:36

Garage
100 octane aviation fuel for small engine piston aircraft, tinted blue.
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
Kainam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Love the Seafoam! I've been using it for a year now in the oil. Some ol' Indian in Missouri told me about it. Never tried it in the gas though... He told me about using a capfull of Marvel Mistory Oil in the gas tank on every fill. Slows the burn a bit when you're forced to use cheap gas and said it'll help negate the injury from the E10 gas.
Rock Slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Just passing thru

Now I have two things to look into. Avgas and Seafoam. If it were anyone else but Dave recommending it I wouldn't give it a second thought. It will work with fuel injection yes?

Top end lubrication is a good thing. I used to use th MMO years ago in the gas but got away from it for some reason.

Pics
EZE RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
when did it start 4u

avgas isnt the best stuff b\c it is designed to burn at diff octane at diff temps, it works well in air cooled motors but still not the best and anymore its hard to get it like in a tank, why I go to local dirt trackers and get the good stuff s:
2011 Subaru OB (DD)

A great man once said
" you better keep your traps shut, bc you know what they say, People in glass houses sink ships"
Jacket4256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Curmudgeon

Dave, I'm curious what brought you to try sea foam.
scol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Parts Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scol View Post
Dave, I'm curious what brought you to try sea foam.
I've heard good things about it before, and I read a post last night on the V-Twin forums of a guy that used it. After that, I googled "Seafoam Testimonials" and read a few people on a BMW forum and a Mazda forum that had excellent results.

It's EFI safe, O2 sensor safe and can be used in the oil or the gas or both.

I have first hand knowlege of Marvel Mystery Oil, as a 1985 LTD I owned, had it used by the previous owner, from 39K to 140K. I bought the car (it was my mother's husband's car) and drove it until 165K, and the oil light came on at idle only, due to the nylon around the timing gears sticking in the oil pump pick-up screen.

I sold the car to a friend. He worked for a machine shop and he tore the motor out and upon tearing it apart to rebuild, the valves, seats and valve guides looked like they had 50K on them. The cylinders were in excellent condition and the engine was spotless inside. (accompanied with 3K oil changes of course)

If you look at the MSDS sheet for Marvel Mystery Oil, it's about 60% Mineral Spirits. The rest is some other stuff that I have no clue as to what it is.

The fact that Seafoam lubricates the top end of the motor, it has to aid in noise reduction in the valvetrain. It's clear, oily based and smells like rubbing alcohol, or at least to me.

Seafoam MSDS sheet:

1 PALE OIL 4229 40-60%
2 NAPHTHA 20 25-35%
3 IPA 125 10-20%

(Pale Oil MSDS: http://www.lyondellbasell.com/techli...E_BASE_OIL.pdf )

Component Name(s)
1) Distillates, petroleum, hydrotreated heavy naphthenic 64742-52-5 70 - 100
2) Distillates, petroleum, hydrotreated light naphthenic 64742-53-6 0 - 30
CAS Registry No. Concentration (%)

http://www.montanajacks.com/msds/seafoam-msds.pdf

Marvel Mystery Oil MSDS sheet:

http://www.setonresourcecenter.com/m...3/wcd04377.htm

Ingredient # 01
Ingredient Name BENZENE, 1,2-DICHLORO-
CAS Number 95501
Percent 0
Ingredient # 02