High Oil Pressure - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Engine

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question High Oil Pressure

2003 EG Classic 37000 miles. Ran into a problem with the oil pressure. Last weekend went on a ride and oil pressure running higher than normal. When engine cold pressure was about 50 to 55 and after warming up went down to about 30 to 32. Have never had that high of oil pressure before except during winter. I know the oil gauges are known to be inaccurate. Haven't torn it down yet and checked the tensioners. Next on the list of things to do. It seemed to be ok just don't want to starve it for oil if something is blocked up.

Anybody ran across anything like this before?

Thanks
RRM
RatRodMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired citizen

The cam plate check valve could be sticking or hanging up a bit. When doing the tensioners remove the check valve and clean the port. Also remove the plug on the top of the cam plate and blow out the oil passages with cleaner and compressed air.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Schmidty. I will do all of that when I get it torn down. Unfortunately it will be a while before I can get to it. Hopefully it won't be too bad when I get in there.
I appreciate the help.

Thanks
RRM
Old 07-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Got it torn down today. Not a pretty sight. Looks like I was real close to losing a motor. 2003 Electra Glide Classic with 39925 miles.Change oil and filter every 2500 to 3000 miles. Use SE 20W50 Synthetic. No real noticable noise. Just the higher oil pressure which has to be from blockage from the tensioner material in the check valve like Schmidty said. With the amount of material missing and going through the oil pump I would think it would be damaged as well.

Searched and read all I could find on tensioners. Also watched video on hydraulic tensioner install.

Thinking about doing the SE hydraulic tensioner upgrade but have a few questions. Does the crankshaft bushing have to be reamed or does it come pre reamed? It didn't cover that in the video. Also when I pull up the kit it says you need 3 other kits. Do you actually need all of those? Everyone that I read about that has done it seems to have different opinions on that.

Planning on reusing the cams and lifters. They seem fine. I will have to get new adjustable push rods though. Had problems getting old ones out. The end of the crankshaft where the bushing rides is marked up but has no grooves or spalling.

Can anyone identify the push rods? I would assume they are SE but you know what they say about that. The cams are SE 211's and they look good.

Any info or ideas from you guys would be appreciated. I know there is a wealth of knowledge on here.

Thanks
RRM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2331.JPG (2.33 MB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2336.JPG (2.48 MB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2341.JPG (2.64 MB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2344.JPG (1.98 MB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2342.JPG (1.88 MB, 24 views)
Old 07-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Schmidty I found a post from back in 2011 that you installed a Screaming Eagle hydraulic tensioner in. I noticed that you only removed the front header pipe. Man I wish I would have seen that before I tore mine down. Would have saved me a bunch of work. I removed the complete exhaust.

How did that upgrade turn out?
Old 07-07-2013, 06:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired citizen

The hyd tensioner install went good except the engine was full of condensation from short trips, the owner only rode 4 miles or so a day back and forth to work. The sludge had the consistancy of Miracle Whip and the hydraulics didn't like it.
You can clean that pinion shaft up pretty good with crocus cloth or super fine emery cloth.
Check the pinion shaft runout while you're at it.
Get all 3 kits, the install kit has just about everything you'll need but you'll need the shim kit too. The cam plate kit includes a new high psi oil pump.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Also those pushrods don't look like quick installs.
The new cam plate bushing doesn't need to be reamed either.
You might want to consider removing the oil pan for cleaning, that tensioner material probably found it's way into the pan. Blow the hoses out between the cam chest and the pan too.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have seen quite a few car, truck and equipment engines sludged up like that but never a scoot. I bet that was a mess.

Thanks for the info. I had planned on pulling the pan and cleaning it out. Don't want to take a chance on ruining a new oil pump. Going to shop around for the parts and get it all ordered. I also am going to order the cam bearing puller and install tool (off of Ebay) that will do the TC88 to 110. Found that from info in one of Daves posts. I have crocus cloth to clean up the shaft and I will check the runout.

Thanks again for all the help.
RRM