Pro Pipe install... - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Exhaust Systems

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Pro Pipe install...

So....How hard is it to install a V&H Pro Pipe on a 2010 Street Glide? I mean it doesn't LOOK so bad... Is removing flange/circlips from OEM exhaust and placing on new exhaust a bear? What are the odds of having an exhaust leak at the heads? As you know I'm doing more and more myself. I really enjoy doing it myself if you think I can do it, I'll give order it and give it a go! Plus I can do it after work and not have a day of riding wasted at the dealer waiting on them to do it..

2013 H-D Street Glide
2013 Victory Vision
2013 Victory Cross Country
big6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Can't remember stuff

oops. read it wrong. back to your regularly scheduled thread
Old 08-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big6x6 View Post
So....How hard is it to install a V&H Pro Pipe on a 2010 Street Glide? I mean it doesn't LOOK so bad... Is removing flange/circlips from OEM exhaust and placing on new exhaust a bear? What are the odds of having an exhaust leak at the heads? As you know I'm doing more and more myself. I really enjoy doing it myself if you think I can do it, I'll give order it and give it a go! Plus I can do it after work and not have a day of riding wasted at the dealer waiting on them to do it..

You should replace the gaskets at the head, and there's a torque sequence to tightening the pipe/flange at the heads, not just "Tighten until you hear a snap, then back off a quater turn."

As well, you need to "snug" the hardware up and move the pipe to seat into the head ports and in all the mounts, then tighten your hardware from the back to the heads.

It's not difficult.

It's easier to swap your O2 sensors with the pipe OFF the bike, as you can do it with a wrench and you won't need the special socket. If you can't clear the bike with them in the pipes, then loosen them with a wrench, and work them out with the wrench, or gloves on your hands.

Always remove exhaust parts with the bike stone cold.

WD40 is your friend, especially on exhaust studs. It makes the nut come off nice and easy with the corrosion that starts on the threads, and prevents galling of the threads.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Location: Veracruz, Ver. Mexico (I rarely take off my flack jacket. ;-)
And donīt forget.....

Donīt forget to wipe yer dirty paw prints off the chrome before you start the bike up.

2010, FLTRX W/ SE 120R.

Welcome to the forum. One of the best places on Al Gores interweb.
If you are new, why not mosey on over to the New Member section and tell us a little bit about yourself and your bike.

IBA#44072
Vettster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ok thanks for the helpful hints! I'm gonna go for it... Gonna put on a SE Heavy Breather while I'm at it. Got it all ordered this am. I'll let you know how it goes....

2013 H-D Street Glide
2013 Victory Vision
Old 09-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

step by step pics of the process would be nice for others following in your footsteps
mang0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

...it's a little late for that my friend...

2013 H-D Street Glide
2013 Victory Vision