New Pipes... Minor Deceleration Pop - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Exhaust Systems

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

New Pipes... Minor Deceleration Pop

With the new pipes, I noticed I'm getting some deceleration popping. Not much, but enough.

I guess I have a couple questions on everything.

First, what is the negative impact this might have on the bike?

Second, I bought the bike from a dude who had all the bells and whistles added. Bike came with a Dyno Power Commander that was tuned in specifically for the bike. With that being said, do I need have it re-dynoed?

Third question... I know nothing about power commanders. Is it possible to have Harley remap the bike with the power commander on it to get rid of the decel pop or once you get a power commander, it pretty much takes over those responsibilities and you have to have it re-dynoed?

Thanks for any and all feedback. I know basic maintenance, but once you start getting technical with the engine and mods, I know nothing.
jim182182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

With PC, (Power Commander) YOU can simply find another, richer map with equipment closer to yours, (downloaded right off the PC site) and install it with your own laptop. It's easier then you thing.

"Some" minor rumbling or popping is acceptable because the new pipes have less restriction and backpressure. However, keep an eye on your spark plug color and any changes to oil temps, or pinging that wasn't there before..............

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Señor Member

Hey, Dave, I know this is a subjective question with a ton of variables, but about how many miles would you have to ride before your plugs show a change in your running condition? IOW, how long would you have to run rich to turn em black.

I know, depends on HOW rich, but can you give me a rough idea?

Chief Illiniwek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

It's not a matter of how far you ride, it's HOW you ride.

Tooling around town is only going to get you in the low-mid ranges. You want to do highway riding, with clean, fresh plugs and ride about 5-10 miles. Change speeds during this ride, and include accelerating onto the highway and drive like you normally drive. If you include some 35-45 mile an hour back roads, then fine.

I've read methods where theoretically, you need to ride a few miles, then chop the throttle at speed, pull the clutch, turn the engine off, pull over and check the plugs THEN, not tooling back home and riding slow though town again, loading the plugs up.

Personally.....I've never been a fan of pulling steel plugs out of hot aluminum heads.

I check my plugs about once every 2-3 months. I like to pull them, look at the color and if it's OK, then you're generally fine, unless a drivability issue arises or you notice something "different", like exhaust tone, popping or lugging. then the plugs are the best way to see what's going on.

Never rely on plug readings if the bike sat and idled for a bit, or if the bike ran short, slow ride lately, around town, or especially after start-up with an enrichener. The readings will always show richer then normal due to the added fuel.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Señor Member

Thanks, Dave.

Chief Illiniwek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
With PC, (Power Commander) YOU can simply find another, richer map with equipment closer to yours, (downloaded right off the PC site) and install it with your own laptop. It's easier then you thing.

"Some" minor rumbling or popping is acceptable because the new pipes have less restriction and backpressure. However, keep an eye on your spark plug color and any changes to oil temps, or pinging that wasn't there before..............
I'll have to check it out and see what I can manage on my own. The indie here that has a dyno charges $250 to map it out. That's a pretty pricey procedure. Bet that little machine paid for itself after just a few of them.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Dave, I took your advice and did my own tuning with a premade map off the website. It got rid of about 90 percent of the popping. The only time I hear it now is if I'm engine braking down steep hills. When I hear it now, I usually just bump it up a gear and all is right with the world.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.