Slip ons - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Exhaust Systems

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Slip ons

Whats your opinion of them. Will be buying a new FXD by the end of the month and thinking about the V&H slip ons. This is my first Harley so looking for advice. The dealer has offered me $1200 in extras if I close the deal by the end of the month and this is the only thing I'm not sure of.

2014 Street Glide Special
American Legion
ALR
PGR
mtncrash1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
more sound than stock. less performance than full pipes.

if you get an air cleaner, too, you will need to have the ecu remapped... versus with full pipes and an a/c, you'll have to buy an a/f management device (much more expensive).

long term, are you planning to get full pipes or not? If so, save the money and get the pipes instead... if not, get the slips and enjoy.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncrash1 View Post
Whats your opinion of them. Will be buying a new FXD by the end of the month and thinking about the V&H slip ons. This is my first Harley so looking for advice. The dealer has offered me $1200 in extras if I close the deal by the end of the month and this is the only thing I'm not sure of.
I don't know what other items you have planned to use the $1200 on, but I would get the exhaust changed out completely. With slip ons, you will get a better sound, but you still have the cats in the head pipes. The full exhaust will sound even better and your bike will run cooler. If I had it all to do over again, I would have done the total stage one mod in the beginning. The dealer may want you to do the 500 mile break in prior to doing this, but if it were me, (and it isn't) I would set it up that the dealer does this after the break in. And I also would not go with the Harley download or remap. IMO, the Screamin Eagle Super Pro Race Tuner is the only way to go, and get the bike Dyno tuned. You will increase HP and Torque and basically get the bike to perform to it's fullest potential. Might be looking at a little more than $1200, but again IMO only, it would be worth it.
bensfatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a 2011 FXDC with V&H slip ons, SE air box, and dealer download. Very happy! Bike runs great and sounds good! BTW, the catalytic converters ARE in the STOCK MUFFLERS on this bike, so adding slipons WILL REMOVE the cats! Since my dealer did the download for free because I purchased the other things from him and had the dealership install everything,the whole setup was less than $500 for me.
hd4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4evr View Post
I have a 2011 FXDC with V&H slip ons, SE air box, and dealer download. Very happy! Bike runs great and sounds good! BTW, the catalytic converters ARE in the STOCK MUFFLERS on this bike, so adding slipons WILL REMOVE the cats! Since my dealer did the download for free because I purchased the other things from him and had the dealership install everything,the whole setup was less than $500 for me.
And I thought the cats were in the head pipes!

When you put the V&H on, did they have to adjust the head pipes and put a new gasket on to align the slip ons?

$500 seems high because slip ons and the air box are pretty easy to install; but they won't give you any warranty issues, so its probably worth it.
redcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcad View Post
And I thought the cats were in the head pipes!

When you put the V&H on, did they have to adjust the head pipes and put a new gasket on to align the slip ons?

$500 seems high because slip ons and the air box are pretty easy to install; but they won't give you any warranty issues, so its probably worth it.
Cats ARE in the head pipes on MOST models. Lucky FXDC owners have them in the mufflers, so it's easy to get rid of them.
Not sure about adjusting the head pipes. All I know is I ordered the slipons and airbox from the parts guy, they called me when everything came in. I dropped my bike off on a Friday night, picked it up Saturday afternoon. Vance & Hines were $350 with tax, SE airbox was $100, so that's $450, 45 minutes of labor-$50.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
One thing I have learned is it doesnt take much to hit that $1200 mark. I will be adding some of my own funds to cover everything I want done to the bike (different seat,sissy bar,highway pegs.....you get the idea). Now I have some things to think about. Thanks for the help. Once I get this deal closed and the bike home I will post pics and what I did to it.

2014 Street Glide Special
American Legion
ALR
PGR
mtncrash1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4evr View Post
Cats ARE in the head pipes on MOST models. Lucky FXDC owners have them in the mufflers, so it's easy to get rid of them.
Not sure about adjusting the head pipes. All I know is I ordered the slipons and airbox from the parts guy, they called me when everything came in. I dropped my bike off on a Friday night, picked it up Saturday afternoon. Vance & Hines were $350 with tax, SE airbox was $100, so that's $450, 45 minutes of labor-$50.
I am in the minority who likes the look of stock pipes on an FXDC, they go back years on many models.

Now I am going to look up threads on how to get them out and go Stage 1 intake, but I may have the wrong back pressure. I would love to get more sound out of the bike, but for the first time ever, I am enjoying stealth mode.

Are the V&H noticeabally louder at idle and low revs?
redcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

I liked the stock pipes on my bike also, and after doing all this at times I wish I'd just left it alone. The MAIN reason I did it was to reduce the heat in my engine, which it did. Everyone told me that a "stage one" was almost a necessity on these bikes, but I don't know. I'm 60 years old, and the "loud pipe" thing is something I can do without, I just wanted my bike to run cooler. The slipons aren't real loud, definitely louder than stock, but not too bad. Vance & Hines makes different baffles so you can pretty much get it to where you want it......quiet to loud.........with the same slipons. The SE slipons are only slightly louder than stock, so you might want to consider those. I'm wondering now since I had the download, what would happen if I went back to stock with the airbox and pipes while still keeping the stage one download?
Old 01-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Good info... taking notes!!!
pedraza_victor is offline   Reply With Quote