American Custom Exhaust installed - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Exhaust Systems

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 01:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

American Custom Exhaust installed

Finally got around to putting on the mufflers I had sent off to American Custom in Connecticut and I'm happy to report that they get a major on all accounts so far!

Key points;

1. They received my mufflers on Tuesday morning and I received an email later the same day that they were being shipped back to me. Thats same day turnaround!

2. Received the mufflers back looking like brand spanking new. They didn't just do their boring and drill/tap routine but they polished them to a mirror finish and eliminated all the road grime from underneath. I don't even see any scratches or blemishes anywhere on the mufflers. A second .

3. Inside the mufflers, no sharp or jagged edges anywhere. Looks like the mufflers were made this way from the HD factory. The hex screw they drill and tap into the bottom/side of the mufflers for interchanging baffles is perfectly placed for easy access and completely flush with the surface of the muffler.

4. Sound...I'm extremely happy! With the mufflers as is, no baffle installed, they sound amazing. Super deep toned growl that barks a bit when you get on the throttle. In no way are they overly loud and obnoxious. instead it just sounds like it should have sounded int he first place, like a Harley.

I can only compare them to my brothers Dyna which has de-baffled VH Long Shots on it and THAT IS FRIGGIN LOUD! His bike sounds mean but its so loud nobody will ride behind him and even he has to wear earplugs when riding. The de-baffled Long Shots also have a higher pitch loudness to them compared to the de-baffled OE Dyna mufflers which again, have a deep tone to them.

I haven't been able to get out and ride with the new mufflers yet so can't report anything in the way of seat of the pants feel or popping, etc. I will report at first chance.

Based on my experience with American Custom so far I'd say it was worth it and a big success. Nice having the flexibility to swap in or out their mid-rumble baffle in 3-4 minutes with just the turn of a hex nut. Still, based on how they sound now I don't anticipate using the baffles much at all. Which leads me to my last observation; Before sending them off to American Custom I was considering doing the stage 2 bafflectomy (see Dave63 sticky on bafflectomy) myself. I talked myself out it because I was worried that completely de-baffled Dyna mufflers would be way too loud and sound like the de-baffled VH Longshots (which in my opinion are indeed way too loud). Not the case! Maybe the HD mufflers have much more in the way of fiberglass packing around the perimeter of the muffler cans that quiets it down a bit compared to the VH ones? Whatever the case, a Stage 2 Bafflectomy on OE Dyna mufflers will not be insanely, obnoxiously loud but rather a very, VERY nice deep toned rumble with a pleasing bark at heavy throttle. So if you don't see a need for swapping out baffles save some $$ and do the stage 2 bafflectomy. If you want the versatility of being able to have both the growl with bark AND a mid-rumble tone slightly louder than OE, then by all means American Custom is hard to beat.
Natty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Excellent report, thanks! I've been thinking about going to a set of American Customs myself. I like the look of the Dyna OEM bullet mufflers & wish to stay with it.

Can you possibly add a pic or two of your AC's installed? Both with & without the baffle? Which baffle did you get, the Mid Rumble or the Street Friendly? And how loud is it in comparison to baffleless?

I really don't care for loud exhaust, but the OEM exhaust I have on my Dyna Defender was gutted by po, and it is so loud it rattles my teeth. And it's a harsh, clacky loud, not a deep rumble.

Anyways, I'm wondering if I could simply get/install the AC baffles myself? What all mods did they do to your OEM mufflers? I can't send mine in cause they are black ceramic and they won't accept those for mod.
M&P340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P340 View Post
Excellent report, thanks! I've been thinking about going to a set of American Customs myself. I like the look of the Dyna OEM bullet mufflers & wish to stay with it.

Can you possibly add a pic or two of your AC's installed? Both with & without the baffle? Which baffle did you get, the Mid Rumble or the Street Friendly? And how loud is it in comparison to baffleless?

I really don't care for loud exhaust, but the OEM exhaust I have on my Dyna Defender was gutted by po, and it is so loud it rattles my teeth. And it's a harsh, clacky loud, not a deep rumble.

Anyways, I'm wondering if I could simply get/install the AC baffles myself? What all mods did they do to your OEM mufflers? I can't send mine in cause they are black ceramic and they won't accept those for mod.
I actually didn't get either of those baffles. My mistake...when I did the order online I simply forgot to add one of the baffle options. I'll have to order the mid-rumble now separately. I'll probably use the mid-rumble baffle when riding two up with the wife. She doesn't appreciate the sweet HD tone as much as I do .

They have a video clip on their website with a Road Glide and them swapping in the mid-rumble baffles. They run the bike without the baffles and then with the mid-rumble so you can get an idea. Dunno if that Road Glide has a cat in it though which would quiet it down a bit more than my 09 FXDC.

I'll try to get a couple pics for you of the mounting spot with the hex nut and hole on the side of the pipes.
Natty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Many thanks. Info much appreciated.

I tried listening to the sound comparo clips on the AC site, but I can't access them. I guess my browser has a flag set somewhere that prevents access.

Thanks again for excellent report!
M&P340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

American Custom Bullet

YES! The sound of the American Custom Bullet pipes is awesome but with the police measuring DB's looking for money I am going with the mid-baffles. Still a great sound. Easily installed. Also will change with the street friendly if the fines get to be too much here in Quebec - vicious!
YOCKOMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

I'm thinking about Am. Custom for a cat whack on my 2 into 1 headers, '10 FLHX Street Glide.

The shop quoted me for V&H, labor, tune, whatever that digital thingie is that calculates EFI . . . $2,055.80. That's too much to drop a cat, and I already have SE front and back on this ride.

Nothing really "wrong" w/ what I have, would just like to drop the cat.
Xero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have the American custom pipes on a Fullsac X header, and if I had to do it again, I would go a different route. Without baffles sounds great, but pretty loud. The mid range baffles suck a lot of power from the bike, so I typically ride with one out.

I plan on cutting a 2" rush baffle to fit on the american custom ring to see how that is. Otherwise, I may just get another set of slip ons/mufflers.
Homebrew is offline   Reply With Quote