2013 Harley ultra limited exhaust - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Exhaust Systems

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

2013 Harley ultra limited exhaust

I just bought a 2013 ultra limited (I have 300 miles on it).1. I would like to have some "rumble from the exhaust" instead of the stock exhaust sound but I'm not looking for more power. (a)Thinking of slip on mufflers -type-? ,SE stage-1 A/C 50 mm,then remapped. (b)complete dual exhaust / muffler, SE stage-1 A/C 50 mm, fuel pack-? or remapped only-?. 2. This is part two of the above question, will the catalytic converter hurt the engine over time (heat build up) that is what I'm being told. besides-$$$ (I seen Dave63 - Baffelectomy stage-1)-not sure affect with warranty ? any info.
joewj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hi joewj, I'm new to the forum and also just purchased 2013 limited, great ride, but also want a better sound, the ones Harley's are known for. I spoke with my guy at the HD shop, great guy,answered lots of questions, and yes good advise, pros cons of stage I vs II set up on a touring bike, and what there differences are. Besides being 2k plus, labor included, seems to me that there might be an advantage to listening to what you would want at your local shop. They seem willing to show there products. I'd be concerned about warranty issues and DIY this early on and on a new bike. Just my 0.02. I plan on the stage II but want to learn more. Good luck to you.
Looks like we're both looking for the same thing. Lets compare findings later on.
Wild hog md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Wild Hog md, I talked to the parts department at the HD dealer and everybody has a different take on it. Then one guy seemed not to pushy but helpful while the other more aggressive. Then I found out they work on commission.That is when I decided to join the forum for open opinions and Pro's / Con's. I'm just looking for the rumble and with the heat issue,with the "EITMS" engine cooling feature may not be a issue. Thinking V&H Twin Slash Slip-ons 4 1/2 , air filter kit,and the mapping. This would be covered under the 2 year warranty if I do it within the 60 days of purchase.
joewj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
I'll help you hide the body

Don't let them BS you on warranty.

Refer your dealer to Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.

They can not hold you over a barrel on warranty issues to gain your business.

Just sayin....

borrowed from gtrman66
Rules:
#1. Post #1: "New to Community"
#2. Buy a HD Service Manual, best $70 you'll spend
#3. Try the search function, we might have already answered your question
#4. Don't post classifieds until you meet the rules
#5. Don't bad mouth dealers until we know you, there are always 2 sides
misinlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

There are a few things you can do to wake your bike up. Do some searches of Stage 1 and stage 2 upgrades. Much of this you can do for yourself. Your bike will run much cooler if you gut the cats out of the headers or replace your headers.
A full stage 1 consists of:
Exhaust
Headers
Larger intake
remapping with a tuner
and possibly dynoed
Stage two is cams and some other internals

I saw some new bikes that were putting holes in their baffles to get some rumble. Sounded good, but they had not gutted their cats. It was sound only without the extra umph.
- Ben Stein
redman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Joewj, I just got my Ultra Limited in August and I went with V&H n Turndown slip ons. They sound great, not too load but they do rumble. If you go to their site they have videos that you can see and hear the sound. Vance & Hines: Performance Exhaust Systems

I'm having power duals installed and the stage one heavy breather. There will be no issue with warranty from what I'm told. For a heavy breather you'll need to have the bike re-mapped through the dealer and thus won't void your warranty.

Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline   Reply With Quote