Exhaust for electroglide - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Exhaust Systems

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exhaust for electroglide

Hi all, new guy here. Was hoping to get some good advise. I'm fortunate to have a new EG 2013, and I have to say its a great ride, but the sound, I think needs a bit of a boost. I've been talking with the guys at HD, and at thunder cycle, both have great info, but different opinions as to what would be a better impact. My questions are, what kind of exhaust would make that known growl HD is famouse for, I have a stock bagger, and am really not too interested in getting work done to the engine, ie stage II etc, just ,maybe a bigger air filter and pipes with mufflers.. Now, I don't want an overwhelming sound where you can't hear the radio at cruising speed. I've heard rinehearts are good and also Vance and Hines 4" better than 3", two into two as opposed to two into one into two, and cats off. I'm looking for go quality and maintaing warranty. Lots of options, a little advise would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time guys.
Wild hog md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild hog md View Post
Hi all, new guy here. Was hoping to get some good advise. I'm fortunate to have a new EG 2013, and I have to say its a great ride, but the sound, I think needs a bit of a boost. I've been talking with the guys at HD, and at thunder cycle, both have great info, but different opinions as to what would be a better impact. My questions are, what kind of exhaust would make that known growl HD is famouse for, I have a stock bagger, and am really not too interested in getting work done to the engine, ie stage II etc, just ,maybe a bigger air filter and pipes with mufflers.. Now, I don't want an overwhelming sound where you can't hear the radio at cruising speed. I've heard rinehearts are good and also Vance and Hines 4" better than 3", two into two as opposed to two into one into two, and cats off. I'm looking for go quality and maintaing warranty. Lots of options, a little advise would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time guys.
2012 EG Limited I put SE Air cleaner, Rush True Duels, Rush 4" Big Louie Mufflers, Power Vision Tuner, Great sound....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com App
Boston62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Harley Rider

Garage
If you do a search on this subject here on the forum, you will see some great discussions on this topic.
TmikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bikeless....for now!

If ur just lookin for sound the first step is lose the cat, either by buying a replacement head pipe or gutting the stock head pipe. Second is choosing which slip-ons u want, my suggestion is since ur in florida where its warm most of the time, ride to some local events where u can listen to other bikes and see what others are runnin. Ask other riders if u can hear their pipes, thats what i did!! As long as u don't mess with the air filter u can do just slip-ons with no motor work, my motor is completely stock with just slip-ons.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback, what motor work needs to be done if I add an air filter?
Wild hog md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage
I have an EGUL and I originally went with Vance and Hines slip on turn down pipes. Good sound and better than stock. Good growl but not obnoxious. The next step would be replacing your exhaust to get rid of the catalytic converter. This in itself will require some tuning. The debate is whether to get some sort of fuel pack or have the bike dynoed by HD. The bike is tuned per factory specs and when you take out the catalytic converter the flow increases out. Also if you plan on upgrading the air intake, the same would be true as youre taking more air in. So if you plan to do one, do both but if you just go with slip ons, most likely you won't need to dyno the bike. Ask HD

I am going with V&H Power Duals and a heavy breather air intake. This (according to HD Techs) will add about 10 to 15hp and I'm getting the bike dynoed. Good look, an increase in performance and a great sound. You can check out how it looks and sound at Vance & Hines: Performance Exhaust Systems .

Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Rush True Duels & Rush 4" Big Louie Mufflers, you can hear your radio.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com App
Boston62 is online now   Reply With Quote