Vance & Hines & Big City Thunder - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Exhaust Systems

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Vance & Hines & Big City Thunder

So, I originally put the quiet baffles on my V&H Staggared Short Shots but didn't like the sound or performance. So, I removed the pipes and took off the heat shields so that I could drill a hole in them so that next time I want to change baffles, I don't have to remove the shields. I then put in the standard V&H baffles. But, they are too loud. I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb...
So' I got the Big City Thunder QBL ( quieter) baffles. The instructions say to redrill a new hole 3" away from the end of the pipe, but 6" is the best. With slash cut pipes as mine they say 3" from the end closest to the header or 6" is best. Right now it is 3" from the furthest end of the pipe and it's flush on the short end ( towards header).
They say this is for optimum sound and performance.
I really don't feel like taking it all apart again and drilling new holes. How much do you think I will lose in power or sound if I just stick with the existing holes? Plus I don't want 2 holes in my new pipes.

Just got a reply back from BCT and they were very helpful. Great service. They followed through on my question regarding their first reply. I recommend them to anybody looking to upgrade their baffles.
------------------

If you don't want to drill the holes use the holes you have as with the
Short Shot exhaust from Vance & Hines you don't have much room in the top
pipe to install them deeper.
Big City Thunder

I could move the baffles 3" more from the furthest end of the pipe. That would put it 6" from the end on the furthest and 3" on the short end. But if it's not going to effect the performance or sound, I'd rather keep them where they are. Thanks. I am putting them in tomorrow and do a test drive.

Put them in using the existing holes. If you are happy with that then
leave it. If you want a slightly deeper tone, slightly quieter, and
slightly better performance install them as deep as you can without the
cone protruding into the curve of the top pipe and install the bottom one
the same depth.
Big City Thunder
--------------------------------------
Just test drove.Mid to high rpm power increased. 3200 rpm 5th gear roll on from 70 mph to 90 mph in a heartbeat.

My baffles were so tight that I couldn't get them out. I made a baffle remover using a 3/4" conduit with a screw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baffle remover.jpg (637.7 KB, 21 views)

2005 XL1200C Vance & Hines Staggered Short Stacks w/QQ Thunder Monster Baffles, D & M chrome spike air cleaner, 48, 185 jets, 12" Burly's, Mustang Cyclone solo seat, Progressive 412 shocks.

2009 FXSTC Vance & Hines Big Radius, V&H air filter, 16" RSD King Apes w/1 1\2" risers and 1 1/2" riser extensions, Progressive 422 shocks, Corbin seat.

Last edited by squeekie; 12-12-2012 at 07:08 AM.
squeekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

I just put Big City Baffles on my FLSTC, love the sound, George.
George Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote