Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum

Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum (http://www.Harley-Davidsonforums.com/forums/)
-   Trans/Primary (http://www.Harley-Davidsonforums.com/forums/trans-primary/)
-   -   FLHX Compensator (http://www.Harley-Davidsonforums.com/forums/trans-primary/133153-flhx-compensator.html)

MVious1 12-18-2013 07:06 PM

FLHX Compensator

Need some help, Im thinking about an evolution 30T compensator kit for my 09 street glide. I just want to know what of any down falls this kit has. Will this have a bad impact on a stock crank? I know there will be more vibration but realistically how much more? Any input will help. Id really like to hear from someone who has gone to this setup on a bagger.

FritzHD 12-18-2013 08:33 PM

I put the Vulcan Engineering sprocket on my RGC. $175.50 shipped to the door. Their both lighter than stock. Got about 2k on it with no problems. Make sure you pull the whole setup out (meaning the spring) before you put sprocket on. Got 3 tabs that you got to straighten to pull spring, they'll rattle around if you leave it in, making you think there's something else wrong. No more vibration than stock and quieter starting. I got 53+k on my RGC and I wonder why harley didn't think of something better.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

MVious1 12-19-2013 01:16 AM

[QUOTE=FritzHD;1888289]I put the Vulcan Engineering sprocket on my RGC. $175.50 shipped to the door. Their both lighter than stock. Got about 2k on it with no problems. Make sure you pull the whole setup out (meaning the spring) before you put sprocket on. Got 3 tabs that you got to straighten to pull spring, they'll rattle around if you leave it in, making you think there's something else wrong. No more vibration than stock and quieter starting. I got 53+k on my RGC and I wonder why harley didn't think of something better.

Cool ill look up Vulcan Engineering did you get a kit with a new chain and upgrade the tensioner also? so did this mod completely get rid of the slop you feel when you let off the throttle and get back on it?

FritzHD 12-19-2013 05:54 PM

Just the sprocket. Used all the stock parts over . Eliminated most of the slop , the setup harley got for the rest of the drivetrain sucks like the dampened in the rear wheel. No more weird starter noises. Quite happy with the sprocket. Never going to need another .

MVious1 12-19-2013 07:07 PM

Thanks I just ordered one up Ill post after a few rides when the weather gets better. I'm hoping the 30t sprocket makes 6th gear a little more usable.

Breeze3at 12-19-2013 07:13 PM

The downside is that something has to pay for the lack of cushioning of the power impulses, hard upshift and downshifts. Most likely it will be the weak pressed crankshaft shifting. Why are there only a couple of compensator eliminating chain sprockets on the market? Because it is not a good idea for long term life.

FritzHD 12-19-2013 08:09 PM

The older Harleys didn't have compensator sprockets and how many of those are still around? Do belt drive primaries cause damage? I believe the sprocket won't cause damage to engine . While the compensator takes some stress off the drive train it still transfers some . Power impulses at any rpm won't be noticeable. I can't think that going down the road at 60 mph that the compensator is even doing anything. At 55k on my RGC time will tell if the sprocket hurt it more than the way I ride it.

TinyPeckerwood 12-24-2013 10:37 AM

I have heard that changing sprocket size will affect the 6th gear light and Cruise control. I don't know if this is true, but would like to know for sure.

FritzHD 12-24-2013 03:32 PM

34 tooth is stock from Vulcan works , no effect on 6th gear or cruise .

SCHMIDTYS 12-25-2013 06:52 AM

I doubt and EVO comp sprocket will fit on the '09.