ecm/tuner comparisons - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Fuel Systems

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

ecm/tuner comparisons

I know that there have been plenty of opinions on what is better but since I am new back into the bike world again and seem no end of opinions I have come down to this question,,,,
I am looking at either a thundermax system or I believe it is called a TTS master tune.. there may be others but,,,,of the two which would seem to be the best bet,, i have a set of V&H short shots and will be putting on a SC heavy breather,,,looking to be able to get the performance from my bike especially on the highway where I spend most of my time. Any opinions, thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
Keep the rubber side down!:
snowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
SNAFU organizer

Please post an intro in "New to community"
vlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

TTS has my vote!
everything ya need and then some.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
09 Dyna Super Glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowguy View Post
I know that there have been plenty of opinions on what is better but since I am new back into the bike world again and seem no end of opinions I have come down to this question,,,,
I am looking at either a thundermax system or I believe it is called a TTS master tune.. there may be others but,,,,of the two which would seem to be the best bet,, i have a set of V&H short shots and will be putting on a SC heavy breather,,,looking to be able to get the performance from my bike especially on the highway where I spend most of my time. Any opinions, thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
Keep the rubber side down!:
I think that most tuners will get the job done if properly set up or make your bike run like Obama's economy if they are not set up right. I have a V&H Fuel Pak with an Arlen Ness Big Sucker under stock intake cover and a D&D Fat Cat 2-into-1 exhaust on a 2009 FXD.

The bike has a lot of power across the entire power band, averages 50 mpg, and sounds great. I like the fact that you can change the Fuel Pak setting without hooking it up to a computer.

Pete
Herd Member #60.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have gone to the mastertune website. I am still trying to figure out how the system works. Does it replace the ecu, or does it reprogram it? Do I keep the same narrow band sensors or do I change to wide band sensors? Do I need to dyno tune it or will it give me the info I need without dyno tune?
arthurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerjlk View Post
TTS has my vote!
everything ya need and then some.
it looks pretty good for sure,,, seems to be lots of good posts about it,,,the one reason I liked the thundermax was that it replaces the stock o2 sensors with wide band sensors, to me it should be more efficient as long as its internal processor runs at a clock speed at least equal to or superior to the stock ECM.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurn View Post
I have gone to the mastertune website. I am still trying to figure out how the system works. Does it replace the ecu, or does it reprogram it? Do I keep the same narrow band sensors or do I change to wide band sensors? Do I need to dyno tune it or will it give me the info I need without dyno tune?
from what I understand it is a tuner, it just plugs into the stock ecm and alters it's fuel air ratios according to the tables contained within the tuner, again if I understand all of this, the difference is much more accurate tables in the tuner which allows the ecm to better control the air/fuel ratio,,,, but like I said,, i am not completely sure on this which is why I am here,, trying to learn and make an informed choice there are some very knowledgable people on these sites,,,I am sure they can give better info then I can. good luck and safe riding
Old 11-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurn View Post
It reprograms the ECM. You can tune the bike yourself using the V-Tune feature which works by hooking a laptop up to the bike and going for a 20-30 minute ride 3 or so times. At the end of each run you blend it with the previous run or baseline tune. TTS supplies baseline tunes for just about any conceivable variation of your engine. It uses the stock narrow band sensors. For a perfect tune you will need to put it on the dyno but you can tune it yourself for 95% of the riding you will do.

The software is user friendly but there is a mild learning curve.

I like it because the user can do a lot of adjustments like adjust for a different tire size, change the timing, and a whole lot more.

One thing I do not like is that it marry's to the ECM and it's not transferable to another bike.

It's basically the HD SE Racing Tuner (SERT) but with more bells and whistles. In fact TTS designed and sold it to HD under contract but the contract wasn't renewed and TTS was then free to sell it under their own banner.

If you build your bike to a big bore the TTS unit will keep up whereas you will likely have trouble with some of the less sophisticated units. Once you get it to where you like it you will probably forget about it until you change something.

Having said all that I must confess to liking a carbed bike better than the EFI. The simplicity of a carb is hard to beat IMHO and anyone with $20 worth of jets can tune one. Oh well. Times change.
BoomerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerBob View Post
It reprograms the ECM. You can tune the bike yourself using the V-Tune feature which works by hooking a laptop up to the bike and going for a 20-30 minute ride 3 or so times. At the end of each run you blend it with the previous run or baseline tune. TTS supplies baseline tunes for just about any conceivable variation of your engine. It uses the stock narrow band sensors. For a perfect tune you will need to put it on the dyno but you can tune it yourself for 95% of the riding you will do.

The software is user friendly but there is a mild learning curve.

I like it because the user can do a lot of adjustments like adjust for a different tire size, change the timing, and a whole lot more.

One thing I do not like is that it marry's to the ECM and it's not transferable to another bike.

It's basically the HD SE Racing Tuner (SERT) but with more bells and whistles. In fact TTS designed and sold it to HD under contract but the contract wasn't renewed and TTS was then free to sell it under their own banner.

If you build your bike to a big bore the TTS unit will keep up whereas you will likely have trouble with some of the less sophisticated units. Once you get it to where you like it you will probably forget about it until you change something.

Having said all that I must confess to liking a carbed bike better than the EFI. The simplicity of a carb is hard to beat IMHO and anyone with $20 worth of jets can tune one. Oh well. Times change.
very accurate reply
the only discrepancy is the tts master tune wasn't offed under H-D banner in it's current form. the race tuner SERT was indeed the tuner H-D used. until Steve Cole the and H-D parted company. the tts has all the bells and whistles that you speak of and more.
it can be used with the current sensors on the 07 up bike to run in closed loop. or can be tuned completely in open loop.
It is the only tuner I will sell. I will tune with other tuners if the customer already has one. But they dont come close to the tts.
the tts will also help over come the FBW bikes inability to go to 100% throttle before 2800 rpm.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Thanks for the clarification. That's what I was trying to say but I guess it didn't come out the way I meant it.

I'm sold on TTS. It's good to see they now have an upgrade available for those with the SERT.

If I had a Throttle By Wire bike this would definitely be the tuner to get just for the feature you mentioned.
BoomerBob is offline   Reply With Quote