Effects of Ethanol - Page 8 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Fuel Systems

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 10:51 AM   #71 (permalink)
"Ain't quite right"

Check Here:

octane boost

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_lacey View Post
Motive.......honest to God, what is wrong with you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDixiecratX View Post
Well Motive, stay out of Vegas, cause you aint playin with a full deck.
Motive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:52 AM   #72 (permalink)

We have a Casey's station here that still sells "87 octane un-leaded gasoline". My 2003 3.9 dodge Dakota gets a full 2 MORE MPG using this fuel. I have used that fuel in my 2010 FB with no performance issues, but I don't ride it hard. The biggest thing that stuck out using the fuel was how much easier the bike starts. Cold or hot but especially when hot, touch button instant start. With any kind of ethanol fuel engine would spin at least twice or spit out of the throttle-body.
I try to keep 1/2 87 unleaded-gasoline & 1/2 Shell 93 Premium ethanol.
I also use Lucas fuel treatment, at least fuel pump, injectors and whatever else is getting nice oil film, 2oz per tank. Hope this helps.
wilks3
Old 03-29-2011, 12:09 PM   #73 (permalink)
Luke 22:36

Garage

Note the last line in that E-15 pump sticker.

Apparently, lead is not the only thing that is bad for catalytic converters.

Quote:
The issue of accelerated catalyst aging with intermediate ethanol blends was well-documented in the Orbital research study conducted in Australia. DOE found that 44% of vehicles they tested had the same control architecture as those that had problems with E20 in Australia and their data, when combined with CRC E-87-1 data indicate that 35-45% of the US fleet will have this sensitive control architecture.
Quote:
The industries understand system components for E10 and also for E85, but it is unclear at what level of ethanol content above 10% that E10-rated parts fail. The objective of AVFL-15 is to determine the durability of wetted fuel components/systems. Fuel storage and handling is studied in component/systems durability testing. Resource constraints limit the scope of AVFL-15, preventing a definitive program, hence additional testing is required.
http://www.crcao.org/news/Mid%20Leve...09-18-2010.pdf
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
Kainam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #74 (permalink)
Luke 22:36

Garage
Quotes by Charles T. Drevna, president of NPRA, the National Petrochemical & Refiners Association.

Quote:
Even if it were used only in cars and light trucks in model year 2007 and later, there is evidence that E15 could cause costly engine damage. And according to EPA’s own guidelines, using E15 in older cars and light trucks and in other gasoline engines is still prohibited. That’s because E15 could cause engine malfunctions that could result in boaters stranded at sea, snowmobilers stuck in wilderness blizzards, and users of chain saws and other equipment being injured.

Quote:
The ethanol industry has refused to acknowledge that engine damage could be caused by E15. Ethanol producers are happy to profit from E15, but leave it to refiners, retailers and others to address consumer concerns and any engine problems that E15 might cause.
EPA approval of E15 hurts consumers - The Hill's Congress Blog
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
Kainam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:28 AM   #75 (permalink)

Ethanol sounds good reducing oil imports but the negatives any many.

Rice University analysis questions U.S. ethanol subsidies | OregonLive.com
Rice University analysis questions U. S. ethanol subsidies
Federal taxpayers forked over $1.95 a gallon in ethanol subsidies in 2008 on top of the retail gasoline price, a new white paper from Rice University's Baker Institute for Public Policy found.

Study: US biofuels policies flawed
Study: US biofuels policies flawed | Rice University National Media Site

National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America <------ These guys are no slouches!
Environmental, economic, and energetic costs and benefits of biodiesel and ethanol biofuels

The University of Minnesota has also studied Ethanol you can Google it. When you are Googling it you are likely to come across sites that think it's a good idea. Those sites are put up by the guys pocketing the $1.95 a gallon of our tax money.

This is what Ethanol is doing for us;

Reduced fuel milage
Corrosive to metal and rubber parts of the fuel system
Higher grain prices filtering through our entire food system and the price of farmland itself
Tax subsidies of $1.95 per gallon
Very inefficient in that it consumes a great deal of energy to produce — almost 1 to 1. However Biodiesel from soybeans, however is very efficient in this regard as is Ethanol from sugar cane @ 1 to 8.

Your state may have pure gas - you can check here: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Here is what the pumps look like in Minnesota

Certainly modern fuel systems have been designed to resist corrosion from Ethanol since its introduction into the fuel supply. It's just that I don't want to put something into my bike or car that is a just a 'little' corrosive and is ok if I don't use it at a rate that exceeds 10%.

Energy of gasoline compared to Ethanol:
1 gallon of gasoline = 125,000 BTU
1 gallon of Ethanol = 84,400 BTU
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:49 AM   #76 (permalink)

My brother is a mechanic at a non HD dealership and he says over 50% of his work is repairing damage caused by ethanol. His shop stresses using a fuel additive to counteract the ethanol and especially recommends a product called Startron.
Stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #77 (permalink)
evohogfarts

I started useing seafoam in my old evo. For a long time I've been useing acidtone in my truck gas to keep the injectors and converter clean.

LiveToRideHarleyDavidsonEvo

ltrhdevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrhdevo View Post
I started useing seafoam in my old evo. For a long time I've been useing acidtone in my truck gas to keep the injectors and converter clean.
What's the ratio you use, acetone-to-gas, and does it affect your gas mileage or parts longevity?

whack.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #79 (permalink)

We've had E10 gas in MN for a long time, and I've never had a problem with any vehicle running the stuff and that includes lawnmowers, chainsaws, snowmobiles, and motorcycles. Glad Pawlenty is gone as he was pushing E20 big time.

About a month before winter storage, I start running fuel that has been treated with marine formula STA-BIL which is green in color. So far, no problems in the spring, the bike starts right up. Another thing I do is to keep the fuel tank full especially if I know I'm not going to be riding the bike for a couple of days when the weather is lousy. A full tank will minimize the amount of condensation that will form.

I'm fortunate to have a station in town that has 93 octane non-oxygenated fuel and I fill up with that every chance I get plus having a five gal can of it in the garage.
murf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #80 (permalink)
evohogfarts

A cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by whacknut View Post
What's the ratio you use, acetone-to-gas, and does it affect your gas mileage or parts longevity?

whack.
I use a cup for about 10gal. An old friend of mine showed me that most injector cleaner you get at auto stores had acidtone in it. Do it about ever 10,000 miles. The seafoam does help with start ups , on my cold blooded evo.

LiveToRideHarleyDavidsonEvo

ltrhdevo is offline   Reply With Quote