Stage 1 Upgrade... - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Fuel Systems

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmmca View Post
Not changing pipes, using slip on mufflers, and yes, I'm the gal that orders your parts. However I am mechanically inclined so I think I can do this. Do I need to replace the entire air cleaner assembly or just the backing plate?
Depends on what you want. You can use a K&N filter replacement which utilizes the same backing plate and cover.

OR....you can replace the entire unit, backing plate and cover, and go with an open style filter with less restriction and a custom cover.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
Depends on what you want. You can use a K&N filter replacement which utilizes the same backing plate and cover.

OR....you can replace the entire unit, backing plate and cover, and go with an open style filter with less restriction and a custom cover.
And if you do go with the whole assembly it usually comes with very good directions (I know V&H's does) and shouldn't take you long at all.
jitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

look at the Arlen ness big sucker as an option, it uses a free flow design and the stock cover, but get rid of the restriction on the backing plate, if you want the performance without the look change.
2010hdultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Is the big sucker the cleaner upgrade that won't drip oil on your engine?
OLDDEADEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

I had one on my 2010 ultra. Never leaked oil. So now i got one on my 2013.

...---... ...---... ...---.... ...---...

I have lost my mind. I have ventured out to find it. If it returns before me, please hold it until I return.
Thank You.
2010hdultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

OK - I'm convinced

Dave63;606486]............You can use a K&N filter................

Dave63......Several have said your recommendations are among the best - Looked at some of your past posts - good enough for me.

Question: '13 Fatboy - Stock except for K&N air filer, (original air filter housing), and SE muffler set. No further changes to be done. Simply want to return A/F to near stock ratio, and have a smooth running engine for normal riding.

From what I've read - Stage 1 download does return a/f ratio to stock setting; does advance timing; and does increase max rpm (rpm max not important for my type riding).

Thinking a choice between Stage 1 download - or - V&H fuel pack.

Between those two, for my type riding, which would you recommend?

Will appreciate your input.

Thanks.
#15: 2013 Softail Fatboy
leeanders is offline   Reply With Quote