draining fuel - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Fuel Systems

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

draining fuel

My understanding is that EFI is under pressure which means when the bike runs out of gas there is now no fuel in the system (except for some possible residuals in the tank).

Before storing my bike inside the house..... I'd like to ensure there is no fuel in the bike.
bradahj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Go Army!

Brad, take a look at the Fuel Tool. Fuel-Tool

2014 CVO Road King (FLHRSE)
Titanium Dust and Galactic Black
ClassichHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired citizen

The fuel tool looks okay, what's the cost for that ?

You can drain the tank using parts that are already on the bike too !
Unplug the fuel hose from the tank bung then unplug it from the throttle body. There's a button on the side of the hose that you depress and pull the hose out at the throttle body.
Now plug the hose back into the tank bung. Then find a piece of hose a couple feet long that will fit snuggly on the other end of the fuel line and stick the hose into a fuel can.
Take the seat and side cover off the bike, locate the fuel pump fuse and remove it. Trim a small spade connector to fit into the fuse terminal. Then take a jumper wire from the fuse terminal to the positive battery terminal, this turns the pump on as long as the jumper is connected. Try both fuse terminals untill the pump runs.
Leave the bike on the side stand and run the pump several times to make sure that the fuel from the right side transferes to the left side and the tank drains completely.
When finished hook everything back up as it was when you started.
Note: Be carefull to not run the pump too long without fuel.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

I just looked at the fuel tool too! First time I heard about it. It cost about 100$
joejoe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

OIl mist the inside of the tank to help keep rust down too.....
webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

siphon

I figured a safe way to siphon the gas out of the tank.......

Then..... I'd start the bike and just let it naturally run out of gas.

At this point is there any gasoline any where in the fuel system?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Never going to empty the tank completely with the pump...only way is to remove the tank and invert it. I would just treat the fuel with stabilizer and park it where you want...it's in no more danger of exploding in the house than it is out in the garage.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired citizen

IMO: The gas tank is more dangerous empty than full, the fumes are more explosive than liquid fuel.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTYS View Post
IMO: The gas tank is more dangerous empty than full, the fumes are more explosive than liquid fuel.
What Schmidty said x100.

It may be that the only purpose for your life is to serve as a warning to others.
nipplesurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

So, it is better to have 3 gallons of fuel in the tank in my basement than to empty the tank?

Maybe I'll just take the tank off...... then put it in the basement.......

If I do that..... can I assume that by letting it "run out of gas" first.....there'd be nothing under pressure when I unhook the gas tank?