Got a Fuel leak - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Fuel Systems

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Got a Fuel leak

I went out today to go for a ride on what is the last good day for a while , if you trust the weather man.

Pulled my bike ( 01 FXSTDI ) out of it's spot in the garage , turned it on and got fuel spewing out my supply line connector at the tank .

I pulled out the line and cleaned some corrosion off , now it leaks a little worse.

1 - I'm guessing that replacement is the only fix ?

2 - Is the line connector or the tank connector more likely to fail ?

Thanks for any help with this.
67Duce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Replace the o-rings on the connector and the tank bung. Remove the old ones and take them to the hardware store with ya to match up with the new ones. I don't think that H-D sell the o-rings for the fuel line connections.
Also grease up the connection and plug it in and out several times, that alone might fix you up.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply ,

I tried some grease on the fitting yesterday, it didn't seem to help though, I'm going to grease the new O-rings too .

I found a O-ring , it's a John Deere O-ring that is suppose to fit part # R26286. I don't think the one for the bung is leaking , it seems to be inside the connector.

I had some O-rings around and had one that worked sandwiched between the connectors , got to ride yesterday at least , it worked for a temporary fix.

I was out and about so I stopped by the dealer , the parts fiche only shows the line & valve /connector as one part that they would gladly sell me for $125.00 that did include a new fuel filter , but hey it's the updated one Ha Ha , it will take a few $1.30 O rings before I see the need for that.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Make sure you're using NITRIL O-rings and not natural rubber. Ethanol will deteriorate natural rubber, hence the mid-90's recall on fuel parts, which were replaced.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm not sure of the material and now that I have them they must be for the bung because there way too big to fit the connector.

Back to size matching , I'll ask about or check the packaging for Nitril ones when I go hunting.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired citizen

The o-ring inside the tank bung is what usually leaks, not the one in the end of the hose fitting. You can get the one out of the bung with an angled pick or a dental pick.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Dave, would Viton O-rings work also?
Gliderider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTYS View Post
The o-ring inside the tank bung is what usually leaks, not the one in the end of the hose fitting. You can get the one out of the bung with an angled pick or a dental pick.
Thats the one I was going for, I didn't get it pulled out yet becuase I was waiting to compare the JD ones.

The JD one's I got the ID fit's loosely over a AAA battery , the OD is vary close to an AA battery , doe's that sound about the right size?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0823[1].jpg (1.11 MB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0824[1].jpg (1.02 MB, 10 views)

Last edited by 67Duce; 11-24-2012 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Add Pic's
Old 11-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Retired citizen

I think the o-ring in the bung is metric ! Better pull it out to make the comparison.
Also Viton will be good too, just not rubber.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

I did some checking around , some one also gave me a number for Advanced Auto O-ring ,

Here's what I found out ,

The Advanced part # 64492.1 , is the right size = 10mm X 14mm X 2mm

It is NOT for use with fuel however, not too much else I could find out about it though.

The John Deere part # R26286 is the right size and is made of Nitril, this is the one I put in and my leak is fixed .

Glad I did have some part #'s to reference , mine came out in brittle little pieces I had to dig out of the ring , not much to match up after that.

I greased the O-ring and the male connector and seated it a few times , definitely a tighter fit now.