2011 dyna fuel gauge sensor - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Fuel Systems

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

The Harley dealer doesn't have a dyno but I believe there is a local shop that does. I have been wanting to dyno it but could never convince myself to have it done. Guess I can't find a better reason now to have it done.

Sent from my XT907 using Motorcycle.com Free App
D1W1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #12 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1W1G View Post
I would like to think it's easy riding this time around (up shift from 1st to 2nd at 20, to 3rd at 30, 4th at 40 and 5th at 50 never hitting 6th as speed doesn't permit). I would say the fastest i go would be 60 on the way to work. Down shifting is about the same (from 5th to 4th at 45, into 3rd at 35, into 2nd at 25, and then just coast the rest of the way out) Nothing hard as typically there is no traffic when i'm going to work (or any time at that matter). Last time i really researched it was on the hwy (in 6th gear) i did 180 with 25 miles or so of that with the light on (only took 3.3 gallons) to NEED gas now at 116 miles just doesn't seem right *scratch head)

Oh, almost forgot, there is a stage one kit done, exhause (2 into 1) and tune (all done by dealer) There is no aftermarket cleaner on there, at least the cover shows a stock look, i'm assuming part of a stage one kit would include something to be done to the throttle body area. Please excuse my ignorance as i'm still new to the HD world. Thank you!
I'm not sure I understand You did 180 miles on 3.3gals (55MPG), now your light says you need gas at 116 mile. Fill it up, see how much you put it, then figure the mileage. It may only be the light sensor, not an engine modification.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
lambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambo View Post
I'm not sure I understand You did 180 miles on 3.3gals (55MPG), now your light says you need gas at 116 mile. Fill it up, see how much you put it, then figure the mileage. It may only be the light sensor, not an engine modification.
I did a 180 miles (25 or so of those were with the gas light on) before i stopped to put gas in it. Now, 95% of those miles were hwy miles running in 6th gear (prolly 80-85 mph)....when i put gas in it (assuming i had used 4.5 gallons of gas) the bike only took 3.3 gallons (going by the gauge on empty and so forth). I'm beginning to learn that the sensor is messed up.This time around, the light came on two days ago at approx 100 miles on the tank (100% city riding this time, nothing heavy though) and now i'm at 135 miles, light still on, range still shows low. I would assume under easy usage, i would get 140-150 miles on 4.5 gallons vs. 100-125 miles.

tomorrow i plan to fill her up and see where we stand on fuel consumption wise. I could take it in and have it looked it, but may not be worth the time.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #14 (permalink)

One more question.....What does your gas gauge say, are you on dead empty. If you only end up putting 3 gallons in on fill up, you're getting 45MPG and that's pretty good

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
lambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambo View Post
One more question.....What does your gas gauge say, are you on dead empty. If you only end up putting 3 gallons in on fill up, you're getting 45MPG and that's pretty good
The gauge is resting well beyond empty. If I had to guess right now. I would say possibly closer to fill up as it sits would be 3.5 to 3.7 gallons. Better answer tomorrow. Unfortunately no riding today as I need the truck to pick some stuff up

Sent from my XT907 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #16 (permalink)

My 2013 Dyna Super Glide shows about half full after 40-50 miles of riding. After 100 miles it shows almost emply, but the reserve gauge reads I have 60-80 miles left before empty. Just to be safe I'll stop to put gas in it, and I can only fit 2-3 gallons at most. I was only able to get a little over 500 miles on it so far this year as I bought it towards the end of fall. I will have to get a better feel for it once I can ride more come spring. I'd rather show I have less fuel than more than I actually do so it doesn't leave me stranded somewhere.

My truck has been doing the same thing. It's almost 10 years old now. When I bought it new the low fuel light would come on when it needed about 18-19 gallons to fill the 24 gallon tank. Now it come on when I can only squeeze about 16 gallons at most. It's all good though as my wife won't drive my truck with an empty tank. I know it's not empty but it keeps her from taking it.
Hunt/fish 365 is offline   Reply With Quote