2011 dyna fuel gauge sensor - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Fuel Systems

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

2011 dyna fuel gauge sensor

Hello everyone, new guy with some questions about a new to him bike. It's a 2011 Dyne wide glide, 10,3xx miles (give or take 100). First question is, is the tank 4.7 gallons? If so, what controls the fuel gauge? Is it a sensor of some sort? I ask cause I have read its a 4.7 gallon tank with the fuel light comes on at .9 gallons left. Took a ride one day, light came on at approx 150 miles, I noticed on the range it was a 1 miles when I put gas in it, but it only took 3.3 gallons???? Doesn't seem right to me? Is the sensor bad? What lead me to full curiosity was I was riding with my dad who has a 03 road king, same size tank, took 3.1 gallons on a ride this pass weekend but his light never came on, mine did, approx 140 miles. We both started the ride on a full tank.

Nothing to do with the fuel gauge, but just thought of it. There is a ticking noise on the top end, Bike runs fine and oil level is good as well, normal for this bike.

Thanks guys
-Travis
D1W1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yes it is 4.7 gallons. You can't really go by when the fuel light comes on. It can come on at a different level to some extent from tank full to tank full. As far as the range it is pretty much useless. Most everybody goes by how many miles they have went and just reset your trip meter. The road king has a 5 gallon tank.
mrmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Awesome, thank you! Figured since i have the same size tank, i'll just stop with them and fill up, i was just curious.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rise from the dead i say!!! haha

Ok, I"m back with this thread. Now my question is, what's the approx range (city riding, nothing hard,normal riding believe it or not) on a Dyna Wide glide, 96 ci...i ask cause again, the light is on, range is Lo at 116 miles (i know those can't be trusted), that doesn't seem right at all to me (stupid math, 22 miles to the gallon approx). It's a 4.7 gallon tank, one would assume that under moderate to heavy riding that would still be, what 145 miles at least??? maybe 165 with very light throttle??? Any idea guys? Thanks!
Old 12-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
Depends on how you ride it. Are you hard on the throttle all the time? Are you riding around at high rpms? Are there aftermarket pipes or breather on it? If the guy that had it before you changed out intake and exhaust and didn't tune it or at least put Xieds on, then your mix is probably off.

Just because your light is coming on doesn't mean it's coming on at the same fuel level all the time. Mine comes on on my softail when my LED gauge is showing half a tank and then sometimes it doesn't come on until the gauge is down to 1/4 tank or so. Your sensor could need a good cleaning.

I rode a 2011 Wide Glide for about a month. On the highway I got around 160 miles to a tank.

-Rohan
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would like to think it's easy riding this time around (up shift from 1st to 2nd at 20, to 3rd at 30, 4th at 40 and 5th at 50 never hitting 6th as speed doesn't permit). I would say the fastest i go would be 60 on the way to work. Down shifting is about the same (from 5th to 4th at 45, into 3rd at 35, into 2nd at 25, and then just coast the rest of the way out) Nothing hard as typically there is no traffic when i'm going to work (or any time at that matter). Last time i really researched it was on the hwy (in 6th gear) i did 180 with 25 miles or so of that with the light on (only took 3.3 gallons) to NEED gas now at 116 miles just doesn't seem right *scratch head)

Oh, almost forgot, there is a stage one kit done, exhause (2 into 1) and tune (all done by dealer) There is no aftermarket cleaner on there, at least the cover shows a stock look, i'm assuming part of a stage one kit would include something to be done to the throttle body area. Please excuse my ignorance as i'm still new to the HD world. Thank you!
Old 12-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
I would take the cleaner cover off and look to see if there is a Screamin Eagle filter or a K&N filter in there. I would bet they didn't just do exhaust and tune without doing the filter as well. If it wasn't done right you could be dumping more gas in than you need to. What do the plugs look like? If you did 180 miles on a tank then that's pretty good.

-Rohan
Old 12-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have no idea what the plugs look like. Doesn't appear to be running rough (outside of their normal shaking idle) or sputter when riding, but again i guess that doesn't mean there isn't (i know, double negative) wrong with the plugs. I will try and at least pull the cleaner and see if there is anything in there. Someone once poked their head down by the cleaner one day and said "yep, complete stage one was done" but i poked my head down there and saw a filter. * shrugs shoulders*

I have a lot to learn :s
Old 12-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Did talk to the dealer and they did say the filter was replaced as well as some plate was added.

Sent from my XT907 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

Garage
I would take it up to them and have them dyno it to see how things look.

-Rohan