2001 Sporty 883 leaking fuel from carb - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Fuel Systems

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

2001 Sporty 883 leaking fuel from carb

Hi,

I'm new to the forums, and fairly new at working on motorcycles, but a decent shade-tree mechanic. Right now I'm having trouble with a 2001 Sportster 883.

My problem is this:
I found a hose leaking fuel from my carburetor today after I had ridden it. It looks like a 5/16th hose, which comes off of an elbow fitting at the bottom of the carb. The hose does not appear to connect to anything, and it was tucked behind the pushrod tubes. I'm mainly concerned because I found fuel was getting on the exhaust pipes.

I filled up my tank completely about an hour or so before this happened.

Is this an 'overflow' line? That was my first thought, but since it comes off the carb Im thinking otherwise. Sorry to waste your time if this is a noob question.

Thanks,
Ryan

edit- Forgot to add- The hose will continue to drip unless I close the petcock valve. It looks like I lost about a gallon of gas before I realized it was sitting there leaking.

Last edited by RpStien07; 11-30-2012 at 06:36 PM. Reason: adding information
RpStien07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

I guess I didn't exactly ask a question here. Where should I start looking? Anyone have an idea why it could be dripping like that? After a little research I'm thinking it may be a stuck float.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

Thats an overflow hose on a CV carb. Your float might be sticking. For starters, I'd pull the carb and clean the bowl..hopefully its just got some crud in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezel View Post
Golds bike sounds like a 66' Chevelle. It's amazing.
GotGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Sounds like you have two problems.
The float needle is hanging up. Also the petcock should stop the fuel flow because it's vacuum actuated and fuel shouldn't pass through it untill the engine is cranking or running.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTYS View Post
Sounds like you have two problems.
The float needle is hanging up. Also the petcock should stop the fuel flow because it's vacuum actuated and fuel shouldn't pass through it untill the engine is cranking or running.
Or it just happened that by the time he shut it off at the petcock it finally ran out of gas through the carb.....OP did it really leak about a gallon of gas or a carb bowl worth of gas?? Its the difference between one or two problems.

Quote:
Old 12-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Right. A gallon of gas on the floor would most likely surround the whole bike !!! It would be a big ass puddle !
Old 12-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

Quote:
Right. A gallon of gas on the floor would most likely surround the whole bike !!! It would be a big ass puddle !
I have fond memories of my very first problem to trouble shoot this is exactly what my 98 did, ran out of gas, hit reserve, gassed up, left a trail of gas from the station to my ridding buddy's house..

Quote:
Old 12-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hey thanks for all the replies guys. Im fairly certain it leaked about a gallon or so. I park the bike at my neighbor's house, and he came by about an hour after I had parked it telling me it stunk of gas. Unfortunately it was parked on gravel so I didn't see a puddle. Because of this, I have kept the petcock in the off position. Every time I turn it back to the on position it will dribble gas out of the overflow. I am going to look at it some more in a little bit, hopefully I will be able to resolve the issue. I'll let you guys know what I find. I did flip the petcock to reserve earlier that day, I wonder if it sucked some sediment down into the carb during that time.

ps- I noticed there was a hose on the right underside of the tank that had fallen off a bung there. I put it back on, but could that be what was allowing the vacuum system to fail?
Old 12-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Retired citizen

The hose on the tank is only a vent line, no vacuum.
You can remove the float bowl without taking the whole carb off the bike. Probably have to remove the air cleaner assy. then remove the 4 screws from the bottom of the bowl, 1 at each corner of the bowl. Put a rag under the carb to catch any fuel spill.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

Quote:
The hose on the tank is only a vent line, no vacuum.
You can remove the float bowl without taking the whole carb off the bike. Probably have to remove the air cleaner assy. then remove the 4 screws from the bottom of the bowl, 1 at each corner of the bowl. Put a rag under the carb to catch any fuel spill.
If you do need additional room, if memory serves there's only two breather bolts going through the back plate. If you take these out it will allow you to pull the carb partially out, without removing linkage and such... just watch, there are spacers on the opposite side, don't let em drop or your gonna go fishin... this is by memory its been a few years..

Quote: