Fastest Harley? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Fastest Harley?

Hey guys. Im a bit of a speed guru. Im going to be in the market for a Harley coming up next year and am wondering what the fastest Harley is (minus the V Rod...).

Im not particularly wanting to go 200 mph but from a stop to haulin azz!

2004 Ford F-250 Harley Edition
V10, 4x4, Ext. Cab
It counts, right?
El Camino Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Stock?

0-60 it'd probably be one of the stripped down Dyna like a Street Bob or maybe the Sportster 1200. Hard to say. Probably not enough difference that the rider couldn't make up if he was a better than the next guy.

Harleys just aren't fast unless you spend some more money to make them that way.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Whatever model isn't a Harley... Sorry to say that if you're a speed freak, you're going to be wildly disappointed with HD. Your best stock Harley would be Screamin' Eagle 110a. Even with that, you'll get out ran by anybody with a 1200-1700CC bike from any other brand on the market (that isn't a scooter... Well, maybe some scooters too). There might be an odd bike in there that will fall behind, but not many.

In the whole grand scheme of things, if you're looking for speed in a bike and want it to say Harley on the tank, you're going to want a V-Rod or have DEEP pockets. Like buying an aftermarket built motor deep.

The Harley 103" engine that you find in the modern BT models is a nice engine, but it's built for cruising. It doesn't make a lot of power or even torque in stock form, as it's been really choked by the EPA. Throw in some cams, intake, exhaust, welded crank, better bearings, and a nice tuner and you'll have a really fun engine that will last you quite a while. You're still not gonna win many drag races unless you are racing other harleys. It's just not what the bike was built for. At all...
DivineDark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Admiral Adjective

Garage
Fast or Quick? There is a difference.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Thunder~Struck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

^^ That would be a better description! Quickest Harley out there! Like I said, Im not much of a speed freak but I like cracking open that throttle to merge into traffic.

Iv sat on a few Harleys at a dealership. The most comfortable IMO was the Fat Bob hands down. If a Fat Bob is one of the quickest Harleys out there too, it will be a win win for me!

2004 Ford F-250 Harley Edition
V10, 4x4, Ext. Cab
It counts, right?
El Camino Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Camino Man View Post
Hey guys. Im a bit of a speed guru. Im going to be in the market for a Harley coming up next year and am wondering what the fastest Harley is (minus the V Rod...).

Im not particularly wanting to go 200 mph but from a stop to haulin azz!
Yep, if you want a fast Harley buy a Suzuki Hayabusa.
FBmikie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

All the twin cams have pretty much the same motor , different CI's over the model years but the lighter bikes are going to be quicker , test riding a couple will give you the best answer.
67Duce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
JPR

Garage
If you want ung_dly speed on a huge bike with an automatic transmission, look up the "Boss Hog. It comes standard with a 350 Corvette engine and can upgrade to a 427.

But its not a Harley and I wouldn't want or need one. I was used to the 883 which could out run the high performance production cars in Bloomington when I was in college in the late 60's. Now I have the Heritage stock with the 103 and find it just as quick as the sportster was. It is plenty fast off the line and merging into traffic. Without racing, I find myself a few blocks ahead of regular traffic by the time I hit the next light. Plus its a bigger, heavier, more comfortable ride. And it's just plain beautiful to look at.

First time I cracked open the throttle, I was thrilled, exhilarated, practically pooed my pants because it had been over 30 years since I rode last. But if you are used to very high speed racing, it may be too tame. I'm perfectly happy "racing" around town with it. And there are mods to make it faster. How much do you want to spend on mods?

There is much more to the world of Harley than getting to the next stoplight the fastest possible. Or being splatted on the back end of a semi like Wyle Coyote.

Test ride 2 or 3 models and see how you like it. Then see how comfortable it is before you buy. Tell the dealer what you want and that you are a serious buyer. He will be very helpful in your choice.

Mystique & fellowship is a plus that you just don't get with other makes.

I think therefore I am (Cogito Ergo Sum) Descartes
I ride therefore I am (Veho Ergo Sum) JPR

65 Italian scooter
66 305 Rice burner; NO PROBLEMS
67 650 English Bike; MAJOR PROBLEMS
1968/XLCH - lots of mods; loved it for 11 years; NO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS
2012 Heritage 103 Rush 2.0 pipes "MAMBO #5"
bought all brand new except scooter

There's a picture of the sportster after all the mods in my images file.
JPR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Fastest Harley? Pro Stock
Trout1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Addicted Since 2010

Garage
Fastest Harley that's not a vrod...

Sportster 1200.
Put a stage one on it and it will beat a triumph 955i to 120....don't ask me how I know.

Really though. Unless you are insane and want to kill yourself going over 120 on a bike is just not really needed. A 1200 has plenty of power if you ask me.

That being said a 103ci dyna is basically the same speed, if that's more your style. Just a little worse handling at high speed theoretically though in practice it is fine.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

"Mr. Lahey is this you talking or the liquor?"

"Randy...(takes a swig)...I am the Liquor!!!"
XL1200R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.