Warped Rotor - Should I be Upset? - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 10:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
What?

Rubbing sound ok, grinding sound - bad. You'll know now the difference when you get it back.

You can sometimes "feel" a warped rotor through the lever, (brake pedal on a car) But I'm sure they rode it, and as you said it stopped fine. So they wouldn't have gone into it any further.....

“You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.” C. Manson

"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff... and I want in." H. Simpson
RubberDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
"Nervous Tick"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer53 View Post
So they should have noticed the swingarm bearing going bad? What about the rotors warping? Is that something that could have happened after I bought it?
unless the tech's are out riding the bikes to "road test" them, its unlikely they would notice a problem unless a customer brought it up..and most folks with rentals arent gonna say a word about a problem, for fear of having to pay for it....

as far as the brakes, it "could" have happened after you bought it, but more than likely, you just got the end result of a problem already in motion....g
Old 10-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks for all the input guys. I may try to argue the swingarm piece, but like I figured, the rotor is not something they will likely budge on. I just wanted to get some opinions before talking with them again.

I knew buying a used bike, and on top of that, a rental, was a risk in the first place, and was one I was willing to accept. But if there is something the dealership was negligent in, I wanted to make sure I was covered.

My wife may get it all paid for, she is friends with the guys through her business (Insurance) and she is very outspoken. She is calling BS on all of this, which at this point is out of my hands with her! haha.

They suggested floating rotors because they are a lot less likely to warp. Is that the best way to go?
mtneer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
What?

Quote:
Thanks for all the input guys. I may try to argue the swingarm piece, but like I figured, the rotor is not something they will likely budge on. I just wanted to get some opinions before talking with them again.

I knew buying a used bike, and on top of that, a rental, was a risk in the first place, and was one I was willing to accept. But if there is something the dealership was negligent in, I wanted to make sure I was covered.

My wife may get it all paid for, she is friends with the guys through her business (Insurance) and she is very outspoken. She is calling BS on all of this, which at this point is out of my hands with her! haha.

They suggested floating rotors because they are a lot less likely to warp. Is that the best way to go?
Floating rotors... I couldn't say, I've never had them......

“You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.” C. Manson

"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff... and I want in." H. Simpson
RubberDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
"Nervous Tick"

Quote:

floating rotors are sweet, and if the wife is able to use her "influence"
to get it fixed for free, thats even better.
after thinking about this for a few more minutes, i remembered one important card, that may not have been played...

for the dealer to sell this bike to you, it would need to pass all current safety inspection requirements applicable to your state...in the case of bad brakes, warped rotor, and bad swingarm bearing, the bike would certainly "not" pass that level of inspection...in other words, the dealer would be breaking the law, to provide this bike to you, in that condition.....food for thought.......g
Old 10-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Here's a little diddy..... Was the bike inspected (State Inspection) just as you took ownership of it?

Swingarm bearings are usually an inspection issue. Meaning, It's going to be a little hard to say that YOU did something in 1000 miles and 3 monts to make BEARINGS go bad on a swingarm, unless they were'nt already experiencing an issue then, and they missed it.

This was an issue BEFORE you got the bike. Probably nobody saw it, however, I'm willing to bet, it was overlooked. Look at your inspection sticker and compare dates and mileage to when you got the bike. You may be able to argue your point using that information.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:20 AM   #17 (permalink)
HERD #00021

also if you rode the bike in the rain and heated up a cold rotor, that may have warped that front/rear disc. gruss's last argument is the tactic i would use.............that boy is always thinkin
To Get Further In

LONG LIVE THE FIGHTERS
our scars tell our story

Rebel Against the Guile Empire

03 Electra Glide Classic
K&N*V&H True Duals>Bub pipes*V&H fuelpak*Quick Detach TP
99 Fatboy The Last Blockhead
14"apes*V&H Ground Pounders*S&S Super E*18" Big Daddy Spokes*EV27 Cam*TwinTech External Ign.*Diamond Cut Jugs*Stainless Braided Lines*Ghost Flames
toorglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #18 (permalink)

Very good point about the inspection guys. The bike is at the dealership now so I would have to go there to check out the sticker. Or just bring it up and see what they say.

I have not ridden the bike in the rain, so I couldn't have done it then.
mtneer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #19 (permalink)
"Nervous Tick"

Quote:
Very good point about the inspection guys. The bike is at the dealership now so I would have to go there to check out the sticker. Or just bring it up and see what they say.

I have not ridden the bike in the rain, so I couldn't have done it then.
play the card, they cant argue the law, or safety.....they dont have a leg to stand on.....and if they show a current inspection sticker while the bike had the problems, the liability will fall back on the entity that provided the inspection......more food for thought...g
Old 10-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toorglide View Post
also if you rode the bike in the rain and heated up a cold rotor, that may have warped that front/rear disc.
Never. Everything you owned would have warped rotors. Not to mention: Your HD rotors are stainless, which gets harder as you heat it. Try drilling it one time......

Even if the swingarm bushings went bad, that's independant of the brake and rotor. Not even related regarding plane and connections. A bad swingarm bushing will unevenly pull on a belt and cause premature failure. Even then, I'd expact the squeeking or knocking of the bad bearings to become evident, before that failure. At a minimum, bad swingarm bushings will allow the swingarm to move closer, loosening the drive belt....

The brake caliper rides on a fixed axle, and mounts as a stable point to the swingarm. Unless you change the swingarm plane, you can't change the rotor/caliper mating points.

Someone abused the rear brake as a rental bike, and now it's an issue for the new owner. The only other way this may happen, IMHO, is with a rear brake caliper that stuck. If onle ONE PAD was worn to the metal, then the caliper is hanging up, overheating the rotor, hence it being warped. I'm willing to bet it was the pad the caliper piston rides on.