Glasses for nightime riding - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Glasses for nightime riding

I avoid riding at night when I can but sometimes it has to be done. I cannot ride without glasses to keep wind out of my eyes. For those of you who ride at night which are better - clear or yellow lenses?
Old 04-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
I don't know if they are better, but I prefer clear.

2011 FXDWG Orange & Black
TwoFer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bikeless....for now!

I ride with yellow safety glasses!! They make everything brighter IMO!!
Old 04-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think it's just a matter of preference. I like amber ad dusk but prefer clear once it gets dark. I can't remember the last time I used the amber ones.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Whatever keeps the bugs out!!
botflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Motorcycle Junkie

Smoked for daytime and clear for night. Look good, comfortable, and bullet proof ansi approved safety glasses. I buy them buy the dozen about every other year. Very affordable.

Crews Checkmate Safety Glasses

F.T.W

Forever Two Wheels!

You Only Live Once!
51panrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the link 51panrider!
Old 04-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
cb1
INFIDEL

I have some of the amber ones that I used and I will be buying a pair of clear to replace them. Reason being for me, the amber makes it hard for me to see stuff in the road such as sand. I simply can't see it, it just all kind of blends together with the amber lenses. Never paid much attention until earlier this year when I ended up braking in a patch of sand that was on the raod from the winter. Didn't wreck, but they gotta go none the less.

2008 Heritage Classic

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. -- Thoedore Roosevelt
cb1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

I prefer clear. I usually go to Walmart and hit up the hunting section. There's a brand that is $4.99 a pair made by NEBO. They're shatterproof and wrap around my big head very well. They make shaded, clear, and yellow.

2010 FXDWG - 18,363 miles of good times. Gone, but not forgotten.

Creator of the annual Illinois Meth Head run. Because riding isn't fun unless you're tweaking and beating up senior citizens!
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 11:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

I tried yellow...didn't like them and switched to clear. I remember reading that yellow was no good for night time driving/riding, but couldn't remember where I read it. I did a google search and found this info:

The Dangers of Night Driving Glasses
Written by Keith Benjamin
It is an all too common misconception that yellow tinted or yellow polarized night driving glasses are beneficial for night time driving. The thought is, the yellow or amber color reduces glare and improves contrast. However, in reality, when driving at night or dusk in already limited lighting conditions, ANY tint further reduces the amount of light transmitted to the eye, and consequently, further impairs vision. The problem is compounded as the yellow tint gives the wearer the impression they are seeing better, when in fact the reverse is actually true.

"Yellow 'Night Driving' lenses have been shown to provide no benefit in seeing ability at night. They are even hazardous, because they give the driver a feeling of seeing better, which no one has yet been able to explain. Studies have shown that they actually impair visual performance and retard glare recovery. Many promoters have made unfounded claims for the ability of amber to improve night vision. They have employed mass solicitation, usually by mail. The Federal Trade Commission has correctly ruled that such practices are illegal since the lenses do not perform as claimed." - Forensic Aspects of Vision and Highway Safety", Merrill J. Allen, O.D., Ph.D., Et al.

While yellow lenses can be effective for foggy or hazy daylight conditions, they are not effective against headlight glare and should not be worn at dusk or night. If glare from headlights is a problem, the first step should be a thorough eye examination, as this could be an early indication of cataracts or other medical conditions.

"So-called night driving glasses are generally amber tinted eyewear meant to reduce the glare of oncoming headlights. While they may make the driver feel more comfortable, they also reduce the wearers visibility of the darker portions of the roadway." - Sunglass Association of America
Reegs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.