Harley Wobble - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Harley Wobble

Hey gang.

I got a question for you veteran riders and Harley owners.
I have an 07 Heritage Softail Classic, all stock. I bought it while I was in Iraq and took delivery when I came home.

The day I was supposed to take delivery, the dealer called me up and said i can't get the bike because of a recall on the battery ground that is causing fires. Now i don't know if this has anything to with my current issue, but I wanted to put that out there.

The issue now is that I have a tremendous wobble and it is NOT in turns or curves. It started out as something that happened during deceleration, after letting off the throttle. I thought maybe it was from the wind shield or I was gripping to tight on the handlebars.

But now it is happening during acceleration and at any speed above 50MPH.

I aske a couple guys at work, and they all said to check tire pressure. I did on both tires and they were a tad low. I have them at the recommended 40PSI and it seemed all was good for about 200miles. The wobble had pretty much disappeared.

But now, it is worse than ever. I can go for 5-10 mile stretches with no wobble but then out of nowhere the thing just starts going crazy.

Is it a balance issue? A motor mount issue? Weight issue in the bags?

Help a brotha out, please.
Combatbuilder69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Possibly the neck bearings out of adjustment.
wood butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
MPG'S? Who gives a

Garage
Rear swingarm bushings.jack it up & check for side to side play.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hey CB how many miles on the bike and on the tires ( if different ). I have an 08 ultra and the stock tires would cause a shake when deceleration if I was loosely holding on to the handlebars. It started right at about 20,000 miles on the odometer which I was on the 2nd rear tire but still had the original front. I was due to change both tires and when I did it went away. You state that you have a tremendous wobble and I don't see tires causing that but it may compound the issue if you have a bunch of miles on the front tire.

I don't think a weight issue could cause this. I have had mine packed and loaded down correctly and incorrectly and I never had a wobble, just maneuverability issues....
Herd member # 00075

" If a hammer won't fix it you got an electrical problem "
DevilDogBagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Luke 22:36

Garage
Tell us what tires you have. There was a cupping issue with a particular model of Dunlop.
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
Kainam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

could you check the arrow on the front tire and see if it going in the right (correct) direction
cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

also, (from my experience) if you have any decorative valve stem caps that are cast metal, they add extra weight, will throw a tire out of balance badly
Rockerbox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

I had exactly the same symptoms on my old 96 Wideglide. I did everything I it still wouldn't go away & it actually got worse. What it turned out to be was the spokes in the rear rim were loose. End of issues.
Waglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDogBagger View Post
Hey CB how many miles on the bike and on the tires ( if different ). I have an 08 ultra and the stock tires would cause a shake when deceleration if I was loosely holding on to the handlebars. It started right at about 20,000 miles on the odometer which I was on the 2nd rear tire but still had the original front. I was due to change both tires and when I did it went away. You state that you have a tremendous wobble and I don't see tires causing that but it may compound the issue if you have a bunch of miles on the front tire.

I don't think a weight issue could cause this. I have had mine packed and loaded down correctly and incorrectly and I never had a wobble, just maneuverability issues....

I have just over 2000 miles on the bike. The tires are original. My bike sat for a while I was re-deployed and then sat after I came back as I just had too much stuff to do and just didn't ride. Now I got the time and want to and this issue pops up.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockerbox1 View Post
also, (from my experience) if you have any decorative valve stem caps that are cast metal, they add extra weight, will throw a tire out of balance badly
It is funny you say that, the wobble started before I put the cool lookin' skull valve stem caps on it, but it did get MUCH worse after.