Wives on bikes - Page 5 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #41 (permalink)
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
My wife is passenger, and that's all she'll ever be. She's voiced no interest in having or learing to ride her own bike, despite my efforts to get her to ride on her own. she's content being a passenger, so I don't push her to be something she doesn't want to be, or something she doesn't want to do.

I can't force her to like and appreciate the things that I do.....
Same with my wife. She enjoys the ride, but as a passenger. If she (your wife) has the desire to ride and be as safe as you, the she will. Remember, no one talked you out of riding. Just be safe. And yes, a riding course is always good. Your never to old to learn something new. Or in my case, how to do it right.

Sean C. Vigle
Rest In Peace My Friend.
Tcglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #42 (permalink)
Go SEAHAWKS!!

Garage
Ride On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrice View Post
I have never been a passenger, don't think I ever will be. I have only been riding for 10 months now and love it. I take my 1200 out by myself all the time. I was scared at first ( well still am) when I'm on the interstate. I have riden 25 miles to work one way by myself a few times. The first time I did that I didn't even tell my husband I was doing it. He worries about me out there with all the crazies. But I needed to do that for myself. I was very happy that day. Have her read the Woman stuff on the Harley Web site. All the riding stories got me hooked.

GOOD IDEA! I will suggest she read the Woman stuff at HD.com. Never would'a thought of that. I wonder if she might like the LOH group as well. They all seem to be her age or younger and full of life and spirit and are out there for the right reasons...

UNLIKE what I found of the local HOG chapter. Mostly MUCH older guys that all think they are the "Biker Dude from Hell" and should be the Road Captain, ordering everyone about. Off subject, but it cracks me up watching them all waddle around with their guts and posturing trying to look tough. Seems like all they do is sit around talking about riding instead of riding. Got tired of that crap real quick.

I think that your story is exactly what I am hoping for in my Wife's case. (minus worrying about where I am or any criticizm) Just ain't my style.

"It's easy to curb the freedoms of others when you see no immediate impact on your own."
Malcolm Forbes

"Give the gift of your absence to those who do not appreciate your presence."

2000 Wide Glide Stage II
StillBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_lacey View Post
My wife went out at 46 years old and took the course. Soon after I got her a V-Star 650 (it was what she wanted to start on). She loves it, and I don't worry about her a bit. We all go through it as new riders and the VAST majority of us survive it. She is getting ready to start year 4 of riding.

Last spring I took her to the local dealer for Demo Days and she rode a Sportster 1200 custom and a FatBoy Lo. She has ridden my RoadKing, so I know she CAN ride whatever she wants. For whatever reason she won't part with her V-Star.
That V-Star 650 is really a good bike, that's why!

2013 H-D Street Glide
2013 Victory Vision
2013 Victory Cross Country
big6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #44 (permalink)
Go SEAHAWKS!!

Garage
Thanks Helek 52.

Watched your video. Very cool stuff man! Your Wife looks happy as a fly on a pile of poop through the whole thing. No offense taken here that she isn't on a HD. That bike she has looks pretty sweet and is probably alot lighter and easier for her to handle.

Without gett'n all mushy, I think what you did for her with the video is the sort of stuff long term strong relationships are made from. just sayin'

"It's easy to curb the freedoms of others when you see no immediate impact on your own."
Malcolm Forbes

"Give the gift of your absence to those who do not appreciate your presence."

2000 Wide Glide Stage II
StillBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #45 (permalink)

I say give her a shot! Has she completed the Riders Edge New Rider course? If not, she needs to..

Get her a V-Star 250....or similar(LOW investment, VERY easy to learn on, plenty but not too much power, and easy to sell if need be)... Take her to a parking lot or a boat launch area. Make pretend stop signs. Get her to stop on an incline and turn both right and left into pretend lanes. You ride the bike on a back road to where there's not a lot of traffic...have her follow you in the car...then swap. Let her lead the way on the bike. Do this over and over until she can do it no problems and she gains confidence.

Good luck!

2013 H-D Street Glide
2013 Victory Vision
2013 Victory Cross Country
big6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #46 (permalink)

My wife started out on a 250 Honda Rebel, she put 5000+ miles on it before she got a 700 Kawasaki Vulcan, after 10,000 miles on it we bought an 81 Wide Glide basket case. After my rebuilding that unit she proceeded to put about 25,000 miles on it when she got a new 97 Road King. After 50,000 miles on it we had to sell it due to her getting seizures. AFTER QUITTING WAL-MART the seizures stopped and after a year of riding passenger her right hand "had to control something" I wanted her to use it "in a better way", but she had to have another ride, so she has a 07 Softail FXSTC. She only has about 3,000 miles on it at present but we will be changing that in a few weeks,(Daytona Bound). As one post says, if your lady is timid and not attentive then it is best she ride with you, if she is a take charge person and CAN FOLLOW DIRECTIONS then by all means give her the OPPORTUNITY to ride. I would start off with a "rice burner" because if she will not learn "right" you will not lose money and it will not cost you much when she "bites the road". I assure you she will "go down", it is your job to make that incident less traumatic, and if the bike is ridable SHE HAS TO RIDE IT HOME. This will either cement her desire to ride OR YOU WILL BE RIDING ALONE FROM THEN ON. My wife has been down at speed and she is a great rider BECAUSE SHE KNOWS WHAT WILL HAPPEN. I fought her desire to ride for years, but after 20 years of riding SHE is my best riding buddy.
ray4ausa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:05 AM   #47 (permalink)

I say she should go for it. I think it's great when a woman wants to ride her own bike. It gives them the freedom that we get from riding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 563-006.jpg (19.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 081210b0226.jpg (156.9 KB, 44 views)
mrmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:25 AM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Girl View Post
Independence is the thing...I have seen so many wimmins not dare go out on their bikes if their husband wasn't with them...BIG mistake! That way they don't learn what they have to and they are more worried about where the husband is or if he's gonna critisize their riding!
Cathi got hooked up with the "Southern Cruisers RC" so she had some one to ride with when I was away overseas. Worked out great as she has ODD and won't listen to me anyway. The more experienced women in the group really helped her with things like keeping up and points of technique she wouldn't have listened to me about.
chris_lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:17 AM   #49 (permalink)
cb1
INFIDEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Girl View Post
If she a poor car driver forget it. Easily frightened is not good either...but if shes a great driver, independent type who is determined to get a bike she might do great!
This hits the nail on the head. My wife was considering getting her own bike and I worried that she could get hurt on it too especially since we have a 11 year old daughter in the house to think of. She isn't a horrible driver but gets stressed out in bad conditions like weather, heavy traffic or a close call. She will get really nervous even if I am the one driving, and i am not a bad driver, uncle sam has had me drive in some pretty bad places that makes anything state side a breeze. I think a close call on a bike would rattle her too much. She started feeling preasured like I was wanting her to ride so i could have my own bike again. I put a stop to that right away. If she isn't confident enough to do it on her own i don't want her trying becuase she thinks that's what I want. I am perfectly happy with her on the back. If she ever devolopes the confidence to go take the course and give it a shot because she wants to 100%, then I will be for it. But until then she said she is happy to be on the back looking around and taking pictures.

2008 Heritage Classic

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. -- Thoedore Roosevelt
cb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:40 AM   #50 (permalink)
Banned

Yes! Being a female rider for over the last 20 years and done more than 220k+ miles I have a pretty good feel for which of the women I have know that have stayed with riding and are excellent riders and those that have not. Also, in the HOG group for over 10 years and Road Captain in 99, before the group started to change into something that wasn't for me. I saw which of the wives that got bikes and did well and those that didn't, gave up, and got on the back again.
V-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote