Ridin' One-Eyed - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ridin' One-Eyed

Got a serious question for anyone out there with experience with this.

Went blind in my left eye about 3 wks ago. Had surgery last week but Docs say vision might not come back or it may take months. So is anybody out there ridin' one-eyed, and if so, how do ya' do it? Docs said I can't drive at least until Tuesday checkup but so far lights are all I can see. I was drivin' my pickup some before the surgery, but I gotta' say the drpth perception thing is real strange!

Any advice?....whacknut.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
SwampRat

Had a Riding Buddy that lost an eye to cancer that went to a trike after lost it .. Never gave an explanation other than just said more comfortable on a trike Now ..
Old 03-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Whack.....I lost my vision in my left eye when I was 17.... been riding 39 years since then, probably a million miles.... plus I drive my work truck about 40K miles a year...

I went through an adjustment period 'cause it really throws the depth perception thing of for a while,but you get used to it real fast, I know no different now....

You will have a peripheral blind spot that you have to be aware of... when I ride with others I make sure I keep their bikes to my good side, I don't ride with bikes on my left, so I ride the center line when not alone.

You will adapt.....oh it's gonna raise particular hell with your pool game ,...
hoofnhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Lost site in my right eye when i was 29. My job was working the Iron (connector) sometimes 200 ft sometimes a lot more up in the air, i kept connecting till i was 46 . You will get used to it it, takes time. With me i know that what looks like its going to hit i still have 5 ft. Hey i still play golf, happy if i break a 100 and the pool game is fun. When i ride i stay on the right side of the lane, also wear a half helmet most times. Take it slow remember right after i started driving a car after the accident i got broadsided and it wasn't might fault but it does shake your confidence. Good luck it nots the end
Old 03-07-2011, 07:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

When I took the MSF class, the instructors said they had had a one-eyed guy as a student. You might check into taking a class just so they can give you tips on how to compensate.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

You will not only have a peripheral blind spot, but having one eye affects your depth perception. Knowing that, just adapt accordingly, and take a tad more time evaluating oncoming traffic's distance and travel speeds, until you get used to it.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Trade School Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
You will not only have a peripheral blind spot, but having one eye affects your depth perception. Knowing that, just adapt accordingly, and take a tad more time evaluating oncoming traffic's distance and travel speeds, until you get used to it.
I agree on the depth perception.

Had a steel splinter from a punch I was hammering on to adjust the top roller on a Grad all outer boom go through to the retina in my right eye when I was 19.

The operation to remove it was successful but the scar caused a cataract to start in my early 50's.

By 60 I no longer could see anything but shadows from the right eye. All this time I was moving my construction machines and operating them one eyed always concerned I might get something in the left eye. I was lucky, I guess.

At 60 I started playing Golf, an addiction, and every time I addressed the ball on the tee I knocked it off the tee first time I lined up the club.
That forced me to get a cataract operation

That was almost 15 years ago and I still don't need glasses except for the wind when I ride.

You can adjust but be cautious about getting something in the good eye.

Al
Stock CVO 110 Mufflers, K&N A/C, Stock Heads, SE 103" BB kit, Andrews 26H Cams, Mustang wide Touring Seat, Stock Bars, H-D Oil Cooler, 1990's LeatherWorks inc Saddle Bags & Modified HD Deluxe Guards, H-D Luggage rack, H-D Windshield, SE Fork Brace, SE Comp, Thunder Max A/T, S&S Lifters, Zipper's dual piston tensioners, Progressive Mono tubes & 422 Shocks, SCRC 524
Bagger set up to ride comfortably
Eleft36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Got a buddy in the same situation, he put 2 mirrors on each side of the bike, he says it helps but I dunno...

One a above the bars and one below on each side...

Sorry to hear about your eye loss
V-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Been blind in my right eye since birth so i cant really tell you how to adjust to it. There is a depth perception issue for sure, 43 years and I still sometimes reach out for things and still miss the first time. You will get use to it the more you function without it you mind and body will make the correct compensations for the missing vision..

Where it really sucks is 3D movies, everything shoots of to the left.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

I am blind in my right eye, lost my vision to cancer about 7 years ago. at first I had problems with my depth perception , it always seems to me that things are closer than they really are. but ya get used of it, I really have to shoulder check alot, and crank my head around a long way .and I always wear glasses or goggles now/

god what a wreck ,blind in one eye.deaf in one ear. iffin I lost one nut ide have to change my name to Lucky