Asking for Leather Jacket Input - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Asking for Leather Jacket Input

I'm researching traditional motorcycle jackets in the Perfecto 618 style and am noticing the absence in most of them venting from front to back.

Schott, Fox Creek, Hillside, Vanson, Langlitz, Buco all seem to be similar in that only a select one or two models incorporate this feature.

Those that own a 618 or similar style, does this lack of venting seem to effect the temperature inside the jacket at all? Is it a non-issue?

I'm riding a Street Glide at the moment so I don't exactly feel as if there's ever a rush of air to channel air through a jacket as it is. I do have a Harley Evolution jacket that has the venting feature.

Regular guy living in an irregular world
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 05:43 PM
Try'n to behave

The reason your not finding many with venting is that it is a "Traditional Style" jacket. They didn't have venting back then and the jacket was usually only worn when it was cool enough to warrant it.

The lack of venting does make a temperature difference inside the jacket, but you can help control it by how much you have it unzipped; and then it really only matters when you are moving. The big down side to doing this is that the jacket will kind of balloon up at the shoulders because of air getting trapped in there. I suppose you could bring it to a leather tailor and have small zippers put in in the sleeve gussets (or somewhere else if you prefer). Another thing you might notice is the lack of "armor" for it (if that's important to you); just good old heavy leather.

When your sitting still, forget about it. Unless it's cold out, you will get hot.

I love mine. Had it since I was in high school (More than 25 years, and that's all I'll say about that). I used to wear it all the time, but not so much anymore now that I have moved to Florida....I'm not THAT acclimated yet.

That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety-Benjamin Franklin 1759

Running is not a plan, running is what you do when your plan fails.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:13 PM

When it is cold (or cool) out I wear my leather jacket because I like the way it looks. But when it is warm (or hot) I wear my textile mesh jacket which doesn't look as cool, but then profuse sweating isn't so cool either. Leather jackets are for looks; textile jackets are for function. At least that's my 2 cents.
6113 likes this.

-Mike-

Metalflake Blue/Black 2013 FLHTCU

"If you're gonna be stupid,
you gotta be tough"

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:51 PM
Banned

I searched just for fun and all I could find was armpit ventilation. Schott was $729 but then there is

Men's Pistol Pete Chief Premium Leather Motorcycle Jacket - Jafrum
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:33 PM
Poser Member # 99

http://www.leatherup.com/imagesproc/...H355_MW400.jpgCheck out leatherup.com they have a wide selection of styles and sizes the coat do run small if you wear a medium you would want to order a XL

this is a front and rear view of my jacket I ad those patchs sewed on it I think it was like 80 or 90 buck it has a zip out liner and is warm as hell I were in the winter going out and summer remove the liner and open the vents It has 2 zippered vents on the front and the back it has some round grommet's holes in the arm pit so your pits can breath
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	patches 2 001.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	551762   Click image for larger version

Name:	patchs 006.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	551770  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:08 PM

Garage
My Fox Creek jacket has vents.......

https://www.foxcreekleather.com/mens...cle-jacket-ii/
Kainam, Orhan, 421Tripower and 1 others like this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:20 PM

Garage
+1 on Leatherup.com. They have the best prices on Leather Jackets I have found so far! They do run small though, especially for those of us that have a generous midsection...
Delta and MADMACK like this.

2007 Suzuki C50 Boulevard - Traded
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:56 PM
JLR

Quote:
Leather jackets are for looks; textile jackets are for function.
I would say leather jackets are for protection, textile jackets are for looks. It's uncomfortable here in the summer, but I still wear a leather jacket. That may change someday.
BikerPepe` likes this.

Jim

2007 FLHTCUSE2
S.E. 10.5:1 pistons, S.E. 251 cams, S.E. pro tuner
Big Sucker ll, Rinehart True Duals

1977 Triumph Bonneville Silver Jubilee
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:59 PM

I have 3 Fox Creek jackets and all are ventilated.
6113 likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:37 PM
Banned

I wear my leather for protection from the road, if I should ever need it... again. I was able to find a fairly traditional style looking jacket but with venting front and back, nice pockets an a zip in/out liner. It's not absolutely traditional, but if it were... it wouldn't be vented. If it's too hot to wear my leather jacket, I wear my leather vest. I like the looks... sure, but I wear leather because I feel that it's the best protection I can get and still move around in comfortably. Maybe that's just me though.

I also wear shorts... but usually, only underneath chaps. I have made an exception in Sturgis... but that's a rare exception and NOT the rule.
And I wear sneakers... but at this point, I've only got one more foot to loose. Had I been wearing good, properly reinforced boots, I might still have 2 feet to worry about now.
6113 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode