• 2 Post By Happy Hours
  • 1 Post By Doc M

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Outlaw Member

Garage
Cruise control issue

1994 FLHTCU

Cruise was working fine before the big chill, today the light on the switch and the engagement light are both working as they should but it's like the cable is disconnected and does nothing.

Cable is still connected to the carb and appears to be ok, but did seem to have more slack than it really needs. And I got home too late to get into the unit itself to check that end of the cable so I'll check that in the morning.

Any thoughts or ideas on what else it could be?? We won't talk about how I busted my arse on the icy porch the other day, but the right wrist is still pretty tender so I needs me cruise!!

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

When I was a child, I thought nap time was punishment.
Now it's like a mini-vacation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:19 PM

Garage
If the green light is coming on then this is probably not the problem but make sure your Brake light is not on all the time. Would be one of the brake switches if the brake light stays on.

2013 Road Glide King (Trigger) Totaled 06/09/16
2016 Road King (Cupcake)
Happy Trails to You
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Outlaw Member

Garage
Rats, God Cursed RATS!!!!

Leave it to a rat to eat a totally obsolete cable!! LMAO

The good news is it's a Delphi cruise control unit so if all else fails in a search for the proper cable, I can jury rig it with Chevy parts.
tommytailspin likes this.

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Outlaw Member

Garage
Found a good used cable, should be here by the end of the week.

As for the rat, I hope the little bastard choked on that cable!!

Time for more moth balls behind the side covers and in the faring, and maybe some sulfur on the ground where I park the bikes. An ounce of prevention,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:09 AM
Try'n to behave

Rats a A-Holes. They don't give...well, a rat's azz what they destroy.

We use vegetable oil in our hydraulic units at work as it is bio-degradable and we work near the water. Apparently rats like the taste of vegetable oil because we had a rat get to a couple of the hose and chew through them. Found out when I went to put pressure to them and pumped hydraulic fluid all over the pier. I hope the little sucker that chewed through got a high pressure face full of vegetable hydraulic fluid and drown in the stuff.
Doc M likes this.

That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety-Benjamin Franklin 1759

Running is not a plan, running is what you do when your plan fails.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Outlaw Member

Garage
Some years back a friend of mine who happened to own a family farm was having rat issues in his barn. I don't know what poison he used but it killed the rats, and all 5 of his elderly mothers beloved and pampered cats who must have eaten some of the poisoned rats.

There's no winning the situation, but there are some things that will discourage the little bastards from visiting an area. Why I didn't have moth balls behind the side covers I do not know, and it is time to replace the ones in the faring, under the tank and under the seat. It's cheap, fairly easy and for the most part works. And since this bike resides outdoors, some sulfur on the ground around where it's parked should help discourage them.

I've got lots of traps out again, but poison is off the table. Not many people can look out their kitchen window at daybreak and watch a bobcat grooming itself in the driveway, and I've also got several varieties of Owls around the house, they seem to enjoy hunting rodents in the mowed areas, including right up next to the house. And while squirrels are nothing more than fuzzy tailed rats and do cause some damage here and there, they are good eating so dinner can be shot from the back porch, and would also get into any poison baits I put out for the rats. I did have a cat at one point, but either the coyotes or the bobcat ate it. So all I can really use are a few preventative measures and hope they leave my bike alone.
Breeze3at likes this.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 05:51 AM

Garage
Get a couple of Black or King snakes, they'll eat the rats!
Doc M likes this.

2015 Ultra Limited, 103 Stage IV kit, Screamin Eagle intake and exhaust system, Memphis Shades 8.5" windscreen, Grasshopper drivers backrest, Kuryakyn highway pegs, lower triple tree air deflector,

Member of the Torque and Recoil Club
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 06:06 AM
Guitarslinger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot383 View Post
sure will, and they will also help you break your neck as you step off the deck when you realize there is a Snake right under you where you are supposed to be landing .

don't ask me how I know this
slingshot383 and Doc M like this.

the high cost of livin', ain't nothin' like the cost of livin' high.
2015 Road Glide - 86 FXR Low Rider
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Outlaw Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot383 View Post
Have plenty of Kings around here, just have more mice and rats here lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hours View Post
sure will, and they will also help you break your neck as you step off the deck when you realize there is a Snake right under you where you are supposed to be landing .

don't ask me how I know this
Yep, but it's when it's a copperhead or rattler that it really gets surprising. And part of the problem with having a wood handicap ramp on the house is they all seem to think it's a good spot to lay in the sun, I've pretty much got them discouraged, which is probably why I have the rat and mouse problem.

You might be a redneck if,,,, you've chased snakes off a handicap ramp with a bowling ball!! 8)
slingshot383 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode