LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
أنا كافر

Garage
Real Fake Newz

Quote:
Real Fake Newz

February 16, 2017

In March 2016, a month after its creation, a fake news site named Associated Media Coverage announced that eleven states were implementing motorcycle curfews with stiff penalties for violators.

Around the same time, the merry pranksters at AMC also announced that the Food and Drug Administration was about to ban vape pens; that politicians in Texas, Arizona, and Missouri had passed laws that would limit people to a maximum of two pets and mandate the killing of the extra ones; that a transgender woman in Colorado had been shot and killed in a department store bathroom; that the Obama Administration intended to restrict hunting for minors; that an Idaho woman was being sent to prison for breast feeding; and that Jodi Arias was getting out of prison after some sort of “incident” with multiple prison guards.

The motorcycle curfew claim had a little more staying power than the other bogus news stories. About six weeks after AMC’s claim, the story had taken on a life of its own. In May a site called Iron Demons was reporting that “28 states working in conjunction with the U.S. Department of Transportation have agreed to implement an ordinance requiring motorcyclists to adhere to a mandatory curfew between the hours of 11 p.m. and 6 a.m.”

Ha Ha!

Hilarious, right? At least until an almost identical proposal made it all the way to the agenda of the February 6 meeting of the Quincy, Massachusetts City Council.

Quincy, founded in 1625, is an historic city just south of Boston. It was the birthplace of two early Presidents and John Hancock and it was once a hotbed of libertarian zeal but apparently that was then.

An appointed city councilmen named William P. Harris, who is also the chairman of the city’s Environmental and Public Health Committee introduced Order Number 2017-20 which read, in full:

Quote:
“Be it ordained by the City Council that the Quincy Municipal Code is hereby amended as follows: In Title 10 Vehicle and Traffic, Section 8.0 Rules of the Road is hereby amended by adding the following new section: 10.08.400 Operations of Vehicles — Motorcycle Restrictions

“A. Licensed motorcycle operators are not allowed to drive between midnight and 5 a.m. unless exempted from the restricted driving hours for employment or emergency situations.

“B. Enforcement of said ordinance shall take place 30 days after public notification.

“C. Minimum penalty for first offense $250.00 repeat offenders $500.00

“D. Law enforcement or rescue vehicles excluded.”

Not Yet

The new law was not voted on by the Council, let alone passed. Harris pulled the measure for “further study” when it came up for discussion and vote about 20 minutes into the meeting. As of this morning, Harris’ new law was not on the agenda for any future city meetings and appears to be dead.

But it was a close call and it raises some questions that should probably be on somebody’s agenda. Like do politicians really know the difference between fantasy and reality? And should they know the difference in an age when new laws and regulations fall from the sky like hail? And, if Harris’ regulation had passed, would it have been a real law enforced by real police?

Harris is the United States Postmaster in Woburn, Massachusetts. The Aging Rebel was unable to reach him this morning to ask him where he got the idea for his motorcycle curfew.
Real Fake Newz | The Aging Rebel

Mala Ipsa Nova
Psalm 144:1 Luke 22:36

'05 Carbed Night Train
111 rwhp, 112 rwtq
Best 1/4 ET 12.557s
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:25 AM

Garage
I suspect they're quoting more fake news. The site cited, or rather quoted, contains that but it is not an official city site and flags in my browser as "not secure".
The official city website mentions nothing about this and a search yields nothing too.
https://www.quincyma.gov/search/defa...m?q=motorcycle

I did a whois on the site and it is owned by a john rodophele who is a resident of quincy but a search for him on the official site has an obsolete listing for him in 2011 (or 2013). The domain was registered in 2015 and expires in 2017. It may be that the official site says nothing about the ordinance since it was said not to pass, or it might be as I assume its implied that its propagated pandemonium by someone as yet unreachable that may have got the idea from the other fake news site and thought it was a good one to propose. At the very least quoting the concept to report it propagates it more and increases the risk that it will give others the idea to propose the same.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
أنا كافر

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnphotog View Post
I suspect they're quoting more fake news. The site cited, or rather quoted, contains that but it is not an official city site and flags in my browser as "not secure".
The official city website mentions nothing about this and a search yields nothing too.
https://www.quincyma.gov/search/defa...m?q=motorcycle

I did a whois on the site and it is owned by a john rodophele who is a resident of quincy but a search for him on the official site has an obsolete listing for him in 2011 (or 2013). The domain was registered in 2015 and expires in 2017. It may be that the official site says nothing about the ordinance since it was said not to pass, or it might be as I assume its implied that its propagated pandemonium by someone as yet unreachable that may have got the idea from the other fake news site and thought it was a good one to propose. At the very least quoting the concept to report it propagates it more and increases the risk that it will give others the idea to propose the same.

Motorcycle Restrictions between midnight and 5 am | Quincy Taxpayers Association

Well, Unless Quincy's own website is fake news as well....

Mala Ipsa Nova
Psalm 144:1 Luke 22:36

'05 Carbed Night Train
111 rwhp, 112 rwtq
Best 1/4 ET 12.557s
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainam View Post
Motorcycle Restrictions between midnight and 5 am | Quincy Taxpayers Association

Well, Unless Quincy's own website is fake news as well....

That's the site I said was questionable and isn't their "own" website, or at least isn't anymore. Its also labeled as a "taxpayers" site which implies citizen as opposed to official but my point probably not well made is the concern of further propagation of the concept of a ban (or curfew rather) and not propagation of fake news. The questions the aging rebel feels it raises I feel are less applicable.

FTR, this is Quicy's website https://www.quincyma.gov/default.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode