Paint problems.. - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pop Punks Not Dead

Paint problems..

So I took my bike out yesterday for a ride in this beautiful AZ weather. I stopped at a couple places including the HD dealership but then i stopped at a record store for a bit. When I come back out i notice 2 pretty good size scratches across the ride side of my tank.... not too deep into the paint but enough to where I could feel the scratch with my finger.

I know its just scratches but like this upset me a lot since the bike is brand new (only a few weeks old). Does anyone know if there's anyone to like buff this out or does harley sell like touch up pens or anything?

BTW the paint is denim black.

"Lets Roll"
LESSthanDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

God help the low-life SOB who did that to my bike if I caught him...he'd be dead meat .

If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail then all the "buffing" in the world won't help...neither will scratch repair kits. You either repaint or get used to it.
RAD_Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD_Softail View Post
. . . If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail then all the "buffing" in the world won't help...neither will scratch repair kits. You either repaint or get used to it.
Agreed. The best test is the "catch" test. If you can run a fingernail across it and it catches at all, it's too deep.

If not, I've had decent luck using 1200 grit sandpaper (black kind) soaked in water for 10-15 minutes to GENTY sand out scratches and then buff out the haze with polishing compound.

It's not that tricky if you are patient. I owned a black car for a while and got pretty good at it. But, if the nail will catch, don't try it. You'll almost certainly sand through the clear before you get it out.

You can buy touch up from Harley - both your base color and the clear. But, I have never seen a touch up job look any better than the scratch itself. Usually it looks worse -especially if the color is still in tact. I might touch up a chip or similar, but I wouldn't try it just for a scratch in the clear.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pop Punks Not Dead

Seriously I was livid when I saw it. I guess I can say I got the first scratch out of the way, just bums me out. Not even 500 miles on the motor yet..

"Lets Roll"
LESSthanDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

if it's just into the clear, you can fix it
lightly wetsand with 1000 (and I mean lightly) and keep the paper wet and clean
then do it again with 1500 and feather out a little bit further
then repeat again with 2000 going even further out

then use light pressure with a polishing wheel and 3m rubbing compound

then follow up with with 3m Perfect-it and a slightly little more pressure and higher speed ont he polisher (also a different polishing pad)
Rockerbox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

and if it is all the way thru the clear (powder coat) and to the paint, you need to have it fixed by a painter
Rockerbox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LESSthanDaniel View Post
Seriously I was livid when I saw it. I guess I can say I got the first scratch out of the way, just bums me out. Not even 500 miles on the motor yet..
That's why I buy bikes and cars used.

The scratches on my Heritage still tick me off, but the $8K I saved makes me feel better about it!!
Old 02-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

TRY THIS!! It works AWESOME & may fix your problem...My wife got a brand new car-a week later comes home in tears, some A-HOLE must of rubbed against her car..there was a nail deep scratch about 6" long..I was freaking that we just spent $28k & she parks away from everyone also...I found this stuff and it took out scratch!!! Scratch out is my saviour!!! Amazing how it works......Best $5.00 I spent!!

KIT Scratch OutŪ

Once you go Bagger, you don't come back
JBONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBONE View Post
TRY THIS!! It works AWESOME & may fix your problem...My wife got a brand new car-a week later comes home in tears, some A-HOLE must of rubbed against her car..there was a nail deep scratch about 6" long..I was freaking that we just spent $28k & she parks away from everyone also...I found this stuff and it took out scratch!!! Scratch out is my saviour!!! Amazing how it works......Best $5.00 I spent!!

KIT Scratch OutŪ
Really? You're saying it will rub out scratches that you can feel? I'm skeptical.

Chief Illiniwek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Illiniwek View Post
Really? You're saying it will rub out scratches that you can feel? I'm skeptical.
Buddy I was AMAZED!! YUP, my nail bit into scratch.. It must have particles that loosen clear or something...scratch is gone 100% you go in a circular motion-firm rubbing...I have used it on my car here & there as well...My father in law borrowed it for a scratch...Type it in under Google-can read all kinds of reviews.....

Once you go Bagger, you don't come back
JBONE is offline   Reply With Quote