GoPro Cameras - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

GoPro Cameras

I got one of these for Christmas and have been playing around with it a bit. I don't want to mount it to my helmet and I haven't tried the chest mount yet. I have tried mounting it several different ways on my handlebars but I get an extreme amount of vibration that makes the video almost unbearable to watch.

How have others mounted theirs? I read about someone mounting it on the engine guard bar but it seems that would be just as bouncy as on the handlebars?

I like the idea oh having it right there on the handlebars for easy access to start and stop the camera. I'm using the mount that apparently is for bicycles... I didnt see one listed for motorcycles. You guys good any good ideas or suggestions on how to cut down the vibration? I put a small piece of rubber pipe insulation around the bar and put the mount over that but I think it actually made it worse.
Stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Luke 22:36

Garage
I've mounted GoPros at various points on my bike.... I think handlebar mount is probably best. Chest mount would be good as well. It helps a lot if you shoot at 60 frames per second.

GoPro also makes a WiFi remote as well now, and will soon be able to wirelessly transmit video output to your Android phone/iPhone.

Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
Kainam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pork Jockey

Stoke, I mounted mine to the Speedo lens. It makes for a really cool video - all you see is the bar clamp, the bars going out to the sides of the frame, and the top of the headlight. I don't really use my speedo much since I ain't a speed demon. Can still see most of what I need to see anyway.

It gets a little vibe, but not too bad. Sometimes the vibe makes the video sort of wavy in a way, but not jiggly like you'd think. If I can post a video, I will, but I've had major difficulty figuring it out.

Look at the photo of my bike and you can see the camera on the speedometer. I mounted the little adhesive base more to the right side of the speedo circle to compensate for the fact that the lens on the camera is on the left side of the camera. This was simply to center the lens.

I have a chest harness, but haven't tried that yet. Not really wanting to mount it to my helmet, though.

[IMG][/IMG]

I got these lines in my face, tryin' to straighten out the wrinkles in my life... Ramblin' Jack Elliot/Guy Clark

The sweet bird of youth, was sittin' on my shoulder yesterday, but she's always changin' partners and I always knew she'd up and fly away... Larry Mahan/Guy Clark

Vaya con Dios, Rick "Rubberdown" Massey ~ May you rest in eternal peace
Mongo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Luke 22:36

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo44 View Post
If I can post a video, I will, but I've had major difficulty figuring it out.

Uploading it to Youtube is the easiest way.
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
Kainam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pork Jockey

Yeah, I started to do that then realized I might be infringing on some copyright laws due to the music in the video. I have a Jerry Reed song and a Allman Bros song. Don't want no trouble...

I got these lines in my face, tryin' to straighten out the wrinkles in my life... Ramblin' Jack Elliot/Guy Clark

The sweet bird of youth, was sittin' on my shoulder yesterday, but she's always changin' partners and I always knew she'd up and fly away... Larry Mahan/Guy Clark

Old 06-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Location: Veracruz, Ver. Mexico (I rarely take off my flack jacket. ;-)
I just started experimenting with mine.
These are not on the Harley, but you get the idea. In the first photo, itīs mounted on the crash bar. I used the base and mount that I got with my PV tuner.
Note the small bungie wrapped around the base. (to help with the case movement) as well as the other for "safety" one.
The second photo is mounted on the top case. I can turn it either front or back.

I havenīt tried uploading to u tube yet. I just started playing with it (the camera) last weekend and really donīt have the hang of it yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00648.JPG (3.42 MB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00649.JPG (3.38 MB, 55 views)

2010, FLTRX W/ SE 120R.

Welcome to the forum. One of the best places on Al Gores interweb.
If you are new, why not mosey on over to the New Member section and tell us a little bit about yourself and your bike.

IBA#44072
Vettster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pork Jockey

Haha! FYI... That bungee and the plastic base will break before that adhesive base pops off! That stuff is sticky as all hell!!

Old 06-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pork Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettster View Post
I just started experimenting with mine.
These are not on the Harley, but you get the idea. In the first photo, itīs mounted on the crash bar. I used the base and mount that I got with my PV tuner.
Note the small bungie wrapped around the base. (to help with the case movement) as well as the other for "safety" one.
The second photo is mounted on the top case. I can turn it either front or back.

I havenīt tried uploading to u tube yet. I just started playing with it (the camera) last weekend and really donīt have the hang of it yet.
Holy crap! Two things...

First, are you gonna mount wheels and a chainsaw motor to your tool kit, or are you just gonna film yourself grabbin' wrenches and cussin' 'cause ya grabbed the wrong wrench. Again...

Secondly, I dig the tree frog in the slats directly to the upper left of your dishonest tool kit. Cool!!!

Old 06-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo44 View Post
Yeah, I started to do that then realized I might be infringing on some copyright laws due to the music in the video. I have a Jerry Reed song and a Allman Bros song. Don't want no trouble...

Allman Brothers.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pork Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowburn View Post
Allman Brothers.
Amen, hermano mio! The song is "Southbound." Although, I was actually Eastbound at the time. On West Alabama. But I didn't tell you that and these are not the droids you were looking for...