Do Dealers negotiate ? - Page 4 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #31 (permalink)

What we are seeing here is that it really boils down to a few things;

1. The individual dealer and proximity to the competition.
2. State of their business-sales volume at that time (in many places this ties in with time of year).
3. Model being purchased - hot models that always sell quick, limited availability models, maybe a model that they have 6 on the floor, etc.
4. Likelihood they will be seeing you and the bike back for future accessory and service visits - sales guy told me flat out that the best deals go to local purchasers since it is more probable they will be back for service and accessory items than it is for someone who drove 100 miles, past two closer dealers trying to shop price.

And last but certainly not least....

5. Being able to say "I have cash (or a check) on me now and am ready to buy.

Natty
"if everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." General George S. Patton
Natty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #32 (permalink)
2014 FLHXS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post

5. Being able to say "I have cash (or a check) on me now and am ready to buy.
Which does put you in a better negotiating position but they do make some money off of you when you finance through the dealership. So it shouldn't have that much effect unless they are pretty damn sure you are gone when you play that hand and should have the same effect even if you are financing.
Wrgiacona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #33 (permalink)

When I bought my 2003 FXST a few years ago, I was able to get it for $1200 less than asking price.
When I bought my wife her 2011 883 Superlow back in August of 2010 I paid stickerprice, plus all the fees. When I would not sign the papers without something.....the manager gave me a $50 gift card. I feel I was lucky to walk away with it! I HATE paying full retail for anything....but if you want the brand new, just out bike NOW, you'll have to pay retail!
Danomite!
Danomite45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:46 AM   #34 (permalink)

Garage
I have only purchase 1 bike from HD brand new. And my experience is yes they are definitely willing to negotiate. Was looking at a 2012 Road Glide Custom w/ a 21 in contrast cut wheel w/ matching rotors. The front wheel was coming off the bike and going to someone else as part of their deal. That was fine, I was pefectly happy with the stock wheel. Anyways price didnt' work. So the day ended with me going home. Then I went to the next local dealer that did not have the same bike/same color etc. But said they would find it and still get a better deal. Week later the competing dealership still hadn't come up with the bike so I went back to the first dealership. This time they offered an extra 1000 on my trade and I got to keep the custom wheel w/ matching rotors - well over $1000 in hardware on the front tire. So I was like bam deal. done. Was afraid maybe they would go back to taking the front wheel off that I was starting to like lol.

A couple tips that I would offer...1)I don't want to say that the competing dealerships hate each other, but they do hate when you buy a bike from the other guy. Let them know your going to visit XYZ HD also.
2) Always have a list of accessories, parts, clothing, helmet...whatever the heck you have in your head that you might buy from that place in the next 10 years..and right before you pull the trigger say..."Hey there are xyz accessories I need will you throw something in"....my dealer said "no but go down to parts and get a list of the stuff you want and I will give you 10% off all of it"...just saying a few parts can net you a couple hundred bucks in a store giftcard
3)I would visit the dealer you think you are going to buy from a few times. I have found that Harley dealers have a ton of here today gone tomorrow salesman. You don't want to buy your bike from that guy. You want to buy from they guy that has been there selling bikes in 10 years and will be there and remember you when you make your next deal

When I got my first bike I checked a dealer for a price on a new IRON 883 sportster. It was like $9300 which was a bullshit price and I knew it..I walked and he didn't work there long
smasharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #35 (permalink)
just a regular guy

I think it really depends on where you are and how the economy has affected the marketplace in your neck of the woods. Our local dealer posted a big banner a few months ago that reads, "$1000 discount on new big twins".

They have never discounted ANYTHING, but the economy is bad in our county.
Of every 100 men, 10 shouldn't be there, 80 are nothing but targets, 9 are real fighters. We are lucky to have them. They make the battle. Ah, but the ONE, one is a warrior.....he will bring the others back.
kravmaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #36 (permalink)

CTHD in Round Rock,TX gave me 25% off of add ons or gear and a tshirt at time of purchase.
Big Spring - 10% off add ons and a shirt at purchase.
Lubbock was 20% off add ons and a shirt.
I guess they differ from store to store.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kravmaga View Post
I think it really depends on where you are and how the economy has affected the marketplace in your neck of the woods. Our local dealer posted a big banner a few months ago that reads, "$1000 discount on new big twins".

They have never discounted ANYTHING, but the economy is bad in our county.
Pretty much sums it up right there.
jitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyC View Post
CTHD in Round Rock,TX gave me 25% off of add ons or gear and a tshirt at time of purchase.
Big Spring - 10% off add ons and a shirt at purchase.
Lubbock was 20% off add ons and a shirt.
I guess they differ from store to store.
Hell I get 15% off at the dealer I go to now and didn't even buy a bike from them. I will say this though if I do purchase another bike it will be thru them.
jitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #39 (permalink)

It all depends on how much the dealer needs the sale.

I bought a V-Rod in May 2011 for 12.5K OTD with a trade. This October I went back to the same dealer for an 2013 Ultra Limited. I went on a Saturday, went back and forth on price, did not come to a deal I walked out. I wanted to trade my V-Rod, owed 9.2K, 7 year warranty, and an OTD price 24.4K. They at first offered 27K, then came back with 26.5K, I walked out. They called me on Monday morning and offered 25.5K OTD. I took it.

Here is my deal: Selling price 25.7K, trade 12.5K, total selling price 13,2K, Lien payoff 9.2K, dealer setup 1K, tax .4K, total price 24K, extended warranty 1.1K, total purchase price 25.5K.
Markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #40 (permalink)
Harley Rider

Garage
On my first bike, I did not. On my second bike, I did! I felt like they treated me more than fair. Cudos to Independence Harley Davidson here in College Station.
TmikeX is offline   Reply With Quote