Do Dealers negotiate ? - Page 5 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #41 (permalink)

Only 2 dealers in the state. 1st one wouldn't budge an inch on a new RK and wouldn't give me anything for my old chopper. Walked out and went to the 2nd one and bought a used Glide. He didn't budge either but his price was very fair. Sold the chopper on my own for a down payment.
jsvt184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #42 (permalink)

Garage
The local dealer here in Wilmington, NC does little negotiation. He immediately knocked off the destination fee and one other fee which combined with the destination fee amounted to just under a grand but that was it. If I want lower montly payments, I gotta put down a bigger down payment.

JamesNT
JamesNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #43 (permalink)

Garage
Bought my 2012 FLTRX in September had 43 miles on it I put 21 of them on the clock.

Paid 18,500.00 for it. Or I should say I paid taxes on a 18,500.00 purchase, they got me for 500 bucks in miscellaneous items before I got out the door and have been back with an open wallet since.

Means they came off destination and setup charges and 1,000.00 off MSRP.

End of the year, new models coming out, plus I was pissed with them and told them so.

I have no idea what if any of the above factors had any effect however, I do know here in Missouri it's easy to get a bike out the door for MSRP.

Most of the places I looked were ready to jump on that. I have no idea if it's a good deal or not, was my first time buying any type of new bike from a dealer. They do seem a little hard headed on price to me but they did have what I wanted, and was I willing to let go of the money.
secoleman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #44 (permalink)

Ok MOCO does not allow the dealers to mark prices down very much at all. If you notice every dealer will add on warranty plans, or parts and acc, or other dealer services. I guarantee you that you will never walk into a dealer and pay $5k less than sticker for a harley like you will at a car lot. Again the "dealing" comes into play with dealer services but for the most part you will pay sticker price for the bike.
02sportytex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #45 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02sportytex View Post
Ok MOCO does not allow the dealers to mark prices down very much at all. If you notice every dealer will add on warranty plans, or parts and acc, or other dealer services. I guarantee you that you will never walk into a dealer and pay $5k less than sticker for a harley like you will at a car lot. Again the "dealing" comes into play with dealer services but for the most part you will pay sticker price for the bike.
I've heard that several times now in this forum however, if you nix the destination charge and dealer setup it's still several grand less than sticker.

MSRP out the door is easy in Missouri (maybe not KC or St Louis) however I visited 6 dealers none of them in the big city. Yes they'd love to sell you the add items but you don't have to buy, I didn't.

I didn't buy anything extra no service plan, no extended warranty etc. After the sale was complete I did drop almost 500 bucks on a backrest and docking hardware before riding out but that was it.

I did a little better than MSRP which I think was due to the fact I'd spent almost 2 hours with the owner relaying all the items I'd experienced which disappointed me with his dealership.

I was ready to buy elsewhere and already had a dealer lined up with my number when they got what I wanted in.

What they did saved the sale and made me a frequent customer.

But you are correct I didn't get 5,000.00 off the "sticker price".

My brother had me set up with a racing buddy in Iowa who owns a dealership that told me they'd sell me any bike 1,000.00 off MSRP, so I think it's possible to get that if you catch someone in the right mood.

The thing is if you have a product you are confident will sell for your asking price, why discount it whether MOCO allows them too or not.

IF HD doesn't want their bikes selling for MSRP they need to quit publishing the price along with the tools to customize your bike while updating that price.

People like me are going to zone in on that and latch on. From what I can tell markups for destination charges and dealer prep ARE the "wiggle room" a dealer has to work with.
secoleman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #46 (permalink)

well yeah because destination charge and set up is charged to the dealer and the dealer passes it on to the customers. the MOCO wants the dealers to sell at MSRP or even higher. MSRP is not the max, it's the starting price. Let's face it their are premier dealers out there and they are not open to matching another dealership price because they are a premier location and dealer.
02sportytex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #47 (permalink)

It is interesting how we consumers get used to things after a period of time. Look at all the "creative" add ons dealers have come up with over the years--prep, document fee, etc., etc. And most folks now accept such charges as standard. But it really p***** me off to pay "prep". I mean, if I order a $50 steak dinner I do not expect to see an extra charge for "preparation" on the bill.

These days, when I shop for a new bike or vehicle, I tell the salesman up front that I don't want to see ANYTHING except one final number on their sales proposal. And no need to even show me the taxes as you can't get around them and I know I will have to pay them. And I further explain that if said dealership needs to get anything for prep, document preparation, etc., to hide that amount in the ONE final number they show me because if that first additional fee is shown on the proposal I'm walking REGARDLESS of what the numbers add up to.

And with my last two Harley purchases the final number was ever so slightly less than MSRP and there was no prep, document BS or even destination charges so I believe I made my point with them and may not have gotten any more than a few bucks off of retail but I did not pay any of their "creative" charges.

It is my understanding the motorcyle dealer, like the car dealer, is charged for freight by the Factory. So I have beat them out of about $380 or whatever the current freight charge is. But I also understand the Motor Co. pays the dealer a fee for Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) so if they need more money for "preparation" let them negotiate that with the Motor Co. And just why isn't a new bike/vehicle "ready to go" when the dealer receives it? And while it may take some staff time to do the damn title and other documents that should be part of their cost of doing business. Will they next want a "storage" fee for having a bike in their possession until it sells?

So, here in Louisville there are two dealers and I recently negotiated with both of them and also with another dealer about 3 hours away. The dealer I ordered from was made aware of my "only one stinking number" requirement that I have held to for many years now and the owner wouldn't go for it but threw in a $1,000 gift card and 10% off on all purchases for a year so, because of the $1,000, I let him get away with showing prep and othr fees on the proposal. It was the best deal I could manage so I took it.

Louisville Joe
Louisville Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #48 (permalink)

Dealer Negotiations

Here is my story.
I was in Beaumont, Texas, at the Dealership in January (Cowboy). I told the guy, I wanted to buy a used 2007 Electra Glide Ultra Classic. Of course he had one, and it belonged to one of their salesmen. It was highly modified. Had the 103" heads, screamin eagle gauges and every nut and bolt was chromed. Tons of aftrmarket accessories etc. I was informed that the price was 16k. I offered 14k CASH. No deal and no budging on the price. I showed him the bike I eventually bought from craigslist and walked. The guy called me back and was trying to put me on a 2004. I had to laugh at him. I fail to understand why a used bike at the dealership does not have wiggle room, especially on a cash deal in the dead of winter. Anyway I bought my bike with extended warranty through 2013 and have never looked back. I love my bike. I will eventually purchase a new one but will never go back to Cowboys in Beaumont to do business. One thing I can't stand is a stuck up salesman.

My 2 pennies worth.

Glenn Williams
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harley 005.jpg (1.96 MB, 16 views)
Old 11-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Joe View Post
It is interesting how we consumers get used to things after a period of time. Look at all the "creative" add ons dealers have come up with over the years--prep, document fee, etc., etc. And most folks now accept such charges as standard. But it really p***** me off to pay "prep". I mean, if I order a $50 steak dinner I do not expect to see an extra charge for "preparation" on the bill.

These days, when I shop for a new bike or vehicle, I tell the salesman up front that I don't want to see ANYTHING except one final number on their sales proposal. And no need to even show me the taxes as you can't get around them and I know I will have to pay them. And I further explain that if said dealership needs to get anything for prep, document preparation, etc., to hide that amount in the ONE final number they show me because if that first additional fee is shown on the proposal I'm walking REGARDLESS of what the numbers add up to.

So, here in Louisville there are two dealers and I recently negotiated with both of them and also with another dealer about 3 hours away. The dealer I ordered from was made aware of my "only one stinking number" requirement that I have held to for many years now and the owner wouldn't go for it but threw in a $1,000 gift card and 10% off on all purchases for a year so, because of the $1,000, I let him get away with showing prep and othr fees on the proposal. It was the best deal I could manage so I took it.

Louisville Joe
Heh, so in one paragraph you say you're walking regardless and in another you say you caved for $1000

Sent from my VS840 4G using Motorcycle.com Free App
slolookpressrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slolookpressrol View Post
Heh, so in one paragraph you say you're walking regardless and in another you say you caved for $1000

Sent from my VS840 4G using Motorcycle.com Free App
Yep, that's what I said--put an additional fee on and I walk. But...., even though the additional fee was shown I let it slide because the $1,000 gift card effectively negated the additional fee. And I wouldn't have gotten the gift card if the fees were not shown so it was a wash.

And the gift card can only be used for purchases at the dealer but it is just like real money to me cause they are doing the stage 1 upgrade and putting on saddlebag guards before I take delivery and my $1,000 can be used on that bill.

Louisville Joe l
Louisville Joe is offline   Reply With Quote