Do Dealers negotiate ? - Page 6 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #51 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Joe View Post
Yep, that's what I said--put an additional fee on and I walk. But...., even though the additional fee was shown I let it slide because the $1,000 gift card effectively negated the additional fee. And I wouldn't have gotten the gift card if the fees were not shown so it was a wash.

And the gift card can only be used for purchases at the dealer but it is just like real money to me cause they are doing the stage 1 upgrade and putting on saddlebag guards before I take delivery and my $1,000 can be used on that bill.

Louisville Joe l
Well that was another factor in my deal, I didn't give a shit about the 2,500.00 gift card as in ultimately it was going to show up in the purchase price of the bike on which I would pay taxes.

Now that I remember that little bump up in the road I did get 5K off the "sticker price" a little more in fact.

From what I've read here it does seem dealers from different regions have multiple ways to drive that "sticker" up however Look at the bike's MSRP.

You can get it for that if not at one dealer maybe the next. I visited 6 and was talking with one out of state (Iowa), out of the six I visited only one didn't come down to MSRP when I got serious about dealing and they eventually sold me a bike 1K under. The dealer in Iowa told me up front he'd sell me any bike 1K under. Never met the man but my brother had been drag racing with him for 20 years and they are good buddies. I assume I was riding on his coat tails there.

That could be the rock bottom everyone keeps talking about from MOCO, if you can get it. If you can't get a bike from a dealer for at least MSRP my advise would be to, either keep looking, or make up your mind what you really are willing to pay.

Why not go out of state if you need?, going to Iowa would have only been a 505 mile round trip for me, 253 miles riding the bike back would have been a good way to get aquainted.

I guess some States would nail you on the taxes when you go to register which could be a factor but, it's just something more to investigate first.

The internet has hamstrung more than automotive dealers, when you've got all these resources telling you what something should sell for, why bite the bullet and pay more?
secoleman57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #52 (permalink)

The only number that matters is the number I write on the check, how the dealer wants to break down the numbers for their paper work is up to them. OTD price is all that I care about.
Markk9 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #53 (permalink)

Got $2000 off a Limited 2012 when the 2013 models were coming in.
unclejay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #54 (permalink)

H-D dealerships DO NOT normally negotiate. Their product sells itself. Probably worse than Christmas tree merchants. No quarter asked... none given. Harley, as a company, has forgotten who got them through the bad years, They now cater to the yuppie elitist clients.
pa bob rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #55 (permalink)
icy
Padawan

Garage
Everybody negotiates. It depends on how you sit on the table. I was lucky in the sense that I walked into the NYC Harley dealership AFTER they got their act together. The store owner had fired the previous crew and hired a new set of people and gave them nice salaries so they had no incentive to over-sell me anything. This provided a nice, comforting attitude and I got a very nice discount on the overall purchase. I don't think he had a lot of room to play with the bike's price tag, but I got a huge discount on labor, parts and accessories and a bit on the bike. I walked away extremely happy with the final quote - to the point that a friend who bought about the same bike three days prior went back in there and complained about how he didn't get any discounts. So if you ask him "the a$&# dealership did nothing"; if you ask me "I love the dealership"
icy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #56 (permalink)

I bought a dime-bag for $8 once in the eighties.....
OLDDEADEYE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #57 (permalink)
Freedom Fighter

Really depends on the dealer I'd say. I was kicking tires at Biggs in San Marcos, CA. They had nothing on their showroom floor that I liked. This was on a Saturday, turns out, the day before (friday) a guy traded in a 2008 Rocker. They were still in the midst of servicing the bike and checking everything over. They sold me the bike before they put an advertised price on it. bike only had 5k miles. They sold me the bike for $12K after some negotiation when they started at $13.5k. I also needed a jacket, helmet and gloves. Instead of giving me those things, they took $300 off of my 2 year extended warrenty. I believe that if you didnt negotiate then you got ripped off..... There is ALWAYS wiggle room....
maddogv21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogv21 View Post
Really depends on the dealer I'd say. I was kicking tires at Biggs in San Marcos, CA. They had nothing on their showroom floor that I liked. This was on a Saturday, turns out, the day before (friday) a guy traded in a 2008 Rocker. They were still in the midst of servicing the bike and checking everything over. They sold me the bike before they put an advertised price on it. bike only had 5k miles. They sold me the bike for $12K after some negotiation when they started at $13.5k. I also needed a jacket, helmet and gloves. Instead of giving me those things, they took $300 off of my 2 year extended warrenty. I believe that if you didnt negotiate then you got ripped off..... There is ALWAYS wiggle room....
there is always wiggle room on USED bikes. MSRP is really a starting point for harleys, opposite than what it is for cars and trucks. some dearlers sell for above MSRP, some right at MSRP but very very rarely will you find a dealer to sell a brand new bike under MSRP unless it is a model year end sale or such. Try to go and get a dealer to mark $2k off the MSRP of a 2013 and see what they say. They will offer dealer services but won't budge on the MSRP much at all if any. That is from MOCO not the dealer, like it or not harleys sell themselves they are a luxury item, look at Ferrari, you won't find dealers marking down prices for them either because they are a luxury item and there is no need to mark them down. MOCO is the same way, why mark down prices when you have the best product on the market that the majority of people in that market want your product?
02sportytex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02sportytex View Post
there is always wiggle room on USED bikes. MSRP is really a starting point for harleys, opposite than what it is for cars and trucks. some dearlers sell for above MSRP, some right at MSRP but very very rarely will you find a dealer to sell a brand new bike under MSRP unless it is a model year end sale or such. Try to go and get a dealer to mark $2k off the MSRP of a 2013 and see what they say. They will offer dealer services but won't budge on the MSRP much at all if any. That is from MOCO not the dealer, like it or not harleys sell themselves they are a luxury item, look at Ferrari, you won't find dealers marking down prices for them either because they are a luxury item and there is no need to mark them down. MOCO is the same way, why mark down prices when you have the best product on the market that the majority of people in that market want your product?
Just simply not true, I got that much (actually a little more) off of my 2011 in Nov of 2010. You just need to know what your doing and it all depends on how much they wanna make a sale.
jitzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02sportytex View Post
I bought a new 2011 V-Rod in May of 2011 and paid less then MSRP, bought a 2013 Limited in October 2012 and paid less then MSRP.

The only thing that matter is the amount I write the check for. Both times on the dealer paper that had the bike price for MSRP, Made up the difference on my trade and less fees.

I don't care how they put it on paper, just as long as the amount I write check for is what I wanted.

See post 39 in this thread if you need to see how the dealer broke down the price of the limited.
Markk9 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.