Do Dealers negotiate ? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Do Dealers negotiate ?

Mark < newbie from Hillsboro > here..

Still in the jonesin' for a Harley stage.. .. was wondering:

re: Dealer negotiations.. while most sales have room for some negotiation..

not always: when I bought my mini-cooper years ago.. they were so hot: there was no negotiation.. in fact there was a waiting list. Want one? get a spot in the build schedule.. and pay full price when it comes in.

thus: is there typically room for negotiation on a new Harley from a dealership? if so.. how much off the published list price is typical ( say on a Sportster $7,999 ) .. or goodies that might be thrown in ( forward controls.. windshield.. ?? )
Tele_Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Very little on new bikes, a tad more on used bikes and most of the bartering will be on a trade.

Outside of that, if you don't buy it, the next guy will. It's the height of the season.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

I thought that might be the case..

very little meaning: $7,999 and throw in a windshield or forward controls.. ( which I don't know what that costs.. )

or $7,999 and thrown in a Tee Shirt ..

If Oct/Nov purchase represented a nice savings.. no problem

Used I see in Craigslist hold their value so well.. the allure of a new bike.. no unknown issues.. warranty .. is very attractive..
Tele_Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

$7,999 and a t-shirt. They may install the winshield and forward controls free if you buy them there, or atleast give you 15-20% off with a new purchase.

Craigslist: You see the asking price. You don't see the final sale price. Dealers get more for bikes because they can finance you on the spot. Craigslist depends on people with CASH. Those people seem to be far and few these days.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think the only recent time I saw dealers anxious to negotiate was last year when the 2012 models were on their way to my local dealer and he still had a showroom floor full of 2011s he needed out of the way. I went in to buy some fork oil and they were trying real hard to get me to take a 2011 scoot with that oil!

When I bought mine I was able to get a free luggage rack with my full price purchase. Couldn't even get a couple dollars off the leather jacket I bought at the same time, and they only gave me the rack because I worked in the area and provided them with stuff they needed.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

When they finally come out with BIG water-cooled touring bikes I betcha they'll have to negotiate to get em off the dealer's floor !
THE ROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Harley Rider

Garage
Actually, they do. Here it is, take it or leave it.
TmikeX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
2014 FLHXS

Garage
One year ago Lander's H-D in Hot Springs took $1000 of the MSRP, dropped the dealer prep and gave me a $500 gift card on a brand new 2011 SuperGlide Custom.
Wrgiacona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmikeX View Post
Actually, they do. Here it is, take it or leave it.
Agreed....as long as the offer is reasonable they will usually counter offer.

Natty
"if everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." General George S. Patton
Natty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
kickstand grinder

No dealers ever give 15 -20% that I've ever seen. I have dealt with many.

I used to work for a dealer and they needed a double ok just for the 10%. Sometimes you would get harley bucks for extras when you make a deal, then all your parts and extra were 10% off for like 6 months after you bought the bike.

This guy I know charges his family healthcare and other stuff, on his HD CC. He just cashed in over 600 worth before they expired: two new tires, oil, and couple of shirts- I was like-Damn! I'm getting an HD CC and start getting points man! Smart move. They just mail him the certs, and he takes them in like CASH!
No bs dollar for dollar.
Whiskey Priests M/C
- part time
Road Captain of "Numb asses" M/C
59panhead is offline   Reply With Quote