JayD's New Softail - Page 14 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #131 (permalink)

Very nice bike, love the rims

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Softail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #132 (permalink)
Thunder Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softail View Post
Very nice bike, love the rims

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanx Softail, It was long hard well spent time to get my Softail, the wheels was a factor in the decision to buy this bike and I was going to sell them to bring the cost of the bike down but like so many other things once they grow on you...there only going round and round now as I love them...

Take care.
J

JayD's journey back to the road rebuild thread...click here to see the journey...

JayD's New Softail

JayD's Iron Butt Ride Report

JayD © 2012
I.B.A #55000 FarRider # 690

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting “Holy shit, what a ride!”
~ Mavis Leyrer
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #133 (permalink)
Thunder Down Under

Sidecar alignment...

The learning curve still continues with my new sidecar. I have road it many many miles to get it back to Tasmania, experienced a real rookie mistake while riding with a freshly attached sidecar with my bike feeling as though it fell into the car and litterally turned left nearly plowing me into the the white verge marker poles...I survived to tell the tale.

Some folks never mention their buggar ups and because of this human fact the next man has to near on kill himself to learn what not to do and how to control a new thing...(sidecar) I have 20 to 30 years riding experience give or take some years while I parked my Shovel.

Forget about everything you know when riding with a sidecar attached ! I have found out why this happened to me and being a rookie was a factor but sidecar alignment was also a big factor.

Above is a diagram showing the correct alignment of bike to sidecar, well if you look as dimensions.

C = toe in to be LESS than D by 1/2 to 3/4 of and inch

well when we checked mine it was toed out by 3/4 of an inch

and

E = lean out 1/8 of an inch

again mine was leaning in by 1/4 of an inch

Once you see this on paper you soon realise why in the first 5 miles you near on killed yourself ! but hey I survived and here I am once more passing on one of my hard earned lessons.

Take care brothers but for christ sakes have a ball doing it...I do if you cant half tell cause I would not trade my life experiences for nothing....what will be will be !
Attached Images
File Type: png sidecar3.png (212.7 KB, 104 views)

JayD's journey back to the road rebuild thread...click here to see the journey...

JayD's New Softail

JayD © 2012

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting “Holy shit, what a ride!”
~ Mavis Leyrer
Old 12-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #134 (permalink)
Yea, real tough guy.

Great post JayD. This was a nice read, thanks bro.
AEC(AW/NAC), USN (Ret.)
Widows Sons Masonic Riders Association

Naphtali Tribe
Guardian of Membership
Road Captain
RDU1961 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #135 (permalink)
Thunder Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDU1961 View Post
Great post JayD. This was a nice read, thanks bro.
No problems...your welcome.

JayD's New Softail

JayD © 2012

~ Mavis Leyrer
Old 12-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #136 (permalink)
Thunder Down Under

This my new bike lift I brought for working on my bike, this makes removing the sidecar a breeze...first time ever we removed the sidecar it took 20 mins including removing the seat to unclip the wiring...this unit cost $290 my front door.

yes I realise this is a little dear but you have to remember it has to be sent across Bass Strait so an extra $100 for postage to my front door is not to bad, it lifts the bike to around your knee height.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_bikelift.jpg (272.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg bklift.jpg (630.1 KB, 81 views)

JayD's New Softail

JayD © 2012

~ Mavis Leyrer
Old 12-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #137 (permalink)
Señor Member

That bike causes greatness.

Chief Illiniwek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #138 (permalink)
Thunder Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Illiniwek View Post
That bike causes greatness.
Thanx Chief... if only all it took was a a great bike to make you great.....as I ride around on my Softail I take many photos as many of you have seen in my threads and posts.

I do this simply because I enjoy taking photographic evidence of my travels...my moments in time and we all know time is a one way trip. This is a link to my facebook page JayD's Island Tours of Tasmania

I am providing this link not to steer traffic from this fantastic Harley forum, just so you all can easily see more photos of my beautiful Island home, Tasmania.

As I travel around exploring taking photos and all it has to offer earning a living while I ride, as these photos might bog down the board. I do hope you enjoy looking through and into my life as a practical biker.

J

JayD's New Softail

JayD © 2012

~ Mavis Leyrer
Old 12-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #139 (permalink)
Thunder Down Under

Outfit...

here is a photo of my bike set up as an outfit, this picture was taken at Eastmans Beach Tasmania...a beautiful part of the world.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_eastmans.jpg (332.2 KB, 63 views)

JayD's New Softail

JayD © 2012

~ Mavis Leyrer
Old 12-29-2012, 02:04 AM   #140 (permalink)
Thunder Down Under

This photo was taken on my way home with FilthyPhill and my GrandSon out front of the "The Big Ram" at Goulbourn in NSW...my GrandSon rode on the back of me for around a hundred miles before I asked him to get back into the car as my back was starting to ache as I have my bed roll behind me for back support on long hauls...he absolutely loved his time on the bike.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_1jayngrson.jpg (129.6 KB, 56 views)

JayD's New Softail

JayD © 2012

~ Mavis Leyrer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.