My Rant - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Rant

I have to get this one off my chest. I rarely complain about jack squat, and am a pretty easy going dude. But Vance and Hines is about to make me go postal.

About a month ago I stumbled upon a set of used power duals a guy had for real cheap, but he didnt have brackets. They only had about 200 miles on them and he sold them to me for $100. I know, sweet deal, right?

So on July 20th approx. 1700 CST (sorry, 21 years in SOF taught me to keep track of everything) I called VH and ordered 2 brackets, and 2 clamps. Guy quoted me $46 for all of it.

On 26 July I called them back trying to get an update on the order and the guy told me one of the brackets was back order and they have it now so he will be sending them out 3-day shipping.

On 31 July I called back AGAIN to get an order status and the guy told me they were having problems again tracking down one of the brackets, and again he would get them on 3-day shipping.

On 6 August I called back AGAIN to get another story about how they were backed up, but he assured me they were getting them out that day and I would see them by Friday (10 August).

Well on 10 August I called back for what I consider the last time and I was told once again the shipping room was backed up. I told the guy to cancel the order and get his sh*t straight. At this point I had had just about enough of somone trying to BS the BS'er.

So I have had a sweet header on my garage floor for over 3 weeks now and it is pretty much just holding the floor down.

Ok, rant off. But if this is the way they treat folks (especially since I always use their product) I will be taking my business elsewhere.

Thanks for letting me bend an ear. As you were...
Old 08-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb53guy View Post
I have to get this one off my chest. I rarely complain about jack squat, and am a pretty easy going dude. But Vance and Hines is about to make me go postal.

About a month ago I stumbled upon a set of used power duals a guy had for real cheap, but he didnt have brackets. They only had about 200 miles on them and he sold them to me for $100. I know, sweet deal, right?

So on July 20th approx. 1700 CST (sorry, 21 years in SOF taught me to keep track of everything) I called VH and ordered 2 brackets, and 2 clamps. Guy quoted me $46 for all of it.

On 26 July I called them back trying to get an update on the order and the guy told me one of the brackets was back order and they have it now so he will be sending them out 3-day shipping.

On 31 July I called back AGAIN to get an order status and the guy told me they were having problems again tracking down one of the brackets, and again he would get them on 3-day shipping.

On 6 August I called back AGAIN to get another story about how they were backed up, but he assured me they were getting them out that day and I would see them by Friday (10 August).

Well on 10 August I called back for what I consider the last time and I was told once again the shipping room was backed up. I told the guy to cancel the order and get his sh*t straight. At this point I had had just about enough of somone trying to BS the BS'er.

So I have had a sweet header on my garage floor for over 3 weeks now and it is pretty much just holding the floor down.

Ok, rant off. But if this is the way they treat folks (especially since I always use their product) I will be taking my business elsewhere.

Thanks for letting me bend an ear. As you were...
That's pretty much SOP when ordering on-line anymore. They don't tell you it's on backorder to keep the sale. They'll BS you as long as they can hoping that the items become available before you get tired of waiting and finally cancel.

If they were upfront to begin with it wouldn't piss me off. At least I'd have the choice of either waiting till the items were available for shipping or going with another vendor.
RAD_Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Not as much a rant as it is the truth..Played this game plenty of times..I actually had an incident where I waited over a month 1/2+ for a part (played same game as you) then I called to say WTF and they had cancelled my order themselves without me knowing was livid!! Told me they were unable to get...Not for nothing, but a call would of been nice...Think they like to get the payment knowing an items on backorder or whatever..collect a little intrest and see how customer plays there game

Once you go Bagger, you don't come back
JBONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks, I just ordered a set of Staggered shortstacks.

2005 XL1200C Vance & Hines Staggered Short Stacks w/QQ Thunder Monster Baffles, D & M chrome spike air cleaner, 48, 185 jets, 12" Burly's, Mustang Cyclone solo seat, Progressive 412 shocks.

2009 FXSTC Vance & Hines Big Radius, V&H air filter, 16" RSD King Apes w/1 1\2" risers and 1 1/2" riser extensions, Progressive 422 shocks, Corbin seat.
squeekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

RAD, I agree. If they would have told me up front, "hey, we don't have it, it might be a few weeks" I would have been fine with it. But each week of me getting my hopes up that I would get to wrench on the weekend was really messing with my emotions....haha.

I'm thinking about just selling the headers and looking for something else now. Something NOT V&H.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

I ordered some brackets for my dresser duals from V&H had them in 3 days.

2014 Electra Glide Ultra Classic Mysterious Red Sunglo/Blackened Cayenne Sunglo, V&H Monster Ovals, Screaming eagle Stage One AC & Power vision tunner.

Harley Hound57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinclac View Post
I ordered some brackets for my dresser duals from V&H had them in 3 days.
You are a lucky SOB then. If I had some type of drawing with measurements I would cut and weld up my own.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Goto a local bike shop and have them make you some brackets.
harleybeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
2012 SG Dude

Just go to a local machine shop....show them what you got and or show them a picture of what you need and they will make it for you. Can't believe that it wouldn't take more than a couple of days. That's what these guys do for a living........
FrankR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Hates being Sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankR View Post
Just go to a local machine shop....show them what you got and or show them a picture of what you need and they will make it for you. Can't believe that it wouldn't take more than a couple of days. That's what these guys do for a living........
I agree. It sucks you already ordered them, but some nice customs could easily be made in an hour or two by anyone with a welder and some basic fab equipment. I built my own Stock Cars for years, and with just my basic equipment, I can make most any pieces and parts like that, and make em damn nice. If I was nearby you, and could look at the headers and the bike, I could whip up some in a couple hours you would be tickled pink with. But I don't guess that helps now. Good luck.

2006 XL883 Sportster. Custom Purple Metallic, with hand painted artwork, lots of chrome. Complete "Live to Ride, Ride to Live Trim Package. Chrome 2 into 1 Thunderheader, Stock mid controls and pegs, plus forward mounted Highway pegs. New Dunlops front and rear. 16,000 miles and adding daily. 1200 motor upgrade planned this winter if $$$ and motivation allows.
mrvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote