Biker build off. Again - Page 8 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgundy9 View Post
Someone needs to restore Lynyrd Skynyrd. In an overall crappy show, that was the most painful thing for me to see.
Well with only 1 original member they can't be LS IMHO. Who was the new guitar player? Blond headed guy playing the Strat?

of the 4 bikes the Gas Monkey bike was the best to me.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #72 (permalink)
PRO BIKE FLIPPER

Jr = ghey

04 FLHP- PROJECT GOT WOOD... COMING SPRING.

"You never see a herse with a luggage rack..."
serviceguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #73 (permalink)
Let fightin dogs lie

The whole show was clunky and dis-jointed. Thank goodness, now maybe we can put a decade of ugly "theme" bikes to bed.

The band sucked!
The majority of the bike were lackluster!
Half the people(builders) did not want to be there!
The host knows as much about the 4 builders as I know about brain surgery!

Jesse does not need the spot light, and frankly he is not capable of handling it. The man has talent, and should continue to peruse his passion off the TV circuit. He looked beat down. I think he put on the IGAF persona as a defense IMHO. He knows he can't win a popularity contest due to his public messes. Would I love to hang at his shop? Damn straight. Does the man have talent, I think he has tremendous talent.

Now maybe them clowns from NY can actually mend the fences and put things right. Family first!

Good for Gas Monkey, although I would love to have seen Jesse clean Richards clock. He is a bit, no wait, very obnoxious at times. Plus I ain't never seen his hands dirty... The beard is the talent in that shop.

borrowed from gtrman66
Rules:
#1. Post #1: "New to Community"
#2. Buy a HD Service Manual, best $70 you'll spend
#3. Try the search function, we might have already answered your question
#4. Don't post classifieds until you meet the rules
#5. Don't bad mouth dealers until we know you, there are always 2 sides
misinlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #74 (permalink)

I wish they would have had less BS and spent time at the end talking to Jessie and P Sr. about how they felt. Jessie I think walked off the stage, I don't know. They cut off the air so fast. And why not go from 4th to 1'st instead of the way they did it??? Lame announcer. Audience looked bored. 6 minutes show 4 minutes commercial 6 minutes show 4 minutes commercial 6 minutes show 4 minutes commercial 6 minutes show 4 minutes commercial ............................

2005 XL1200C Vance & Hines Staggered Short Stacks w/QQ Thunder Monster Baffles, D & M chrome spike air cleaner, 48, 185 jets, 12" Burly's, Mustang Cyclone solo seat, Progressive 412 shocks.

2009 FXSTC Vance & Hines Big Radius, V&H air filter, 16" RSD King Apes w/1 1\2" risers and 1 1/2" riser extensions, Progressive 422 shocks, Corbin seat.
squeekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #75 (permalink)
Parts Junkie

I'll add my worthless 2 cents....

The big difference I see between all 4 of these builders is this: You either build bikes because you love doing it, or because you're doing it to make money. Once it becomes strictly to make money, the talent and end product suffers.

Gas Monkey: Old school bike builders. Used OEM HD frame and driveline. Hacked a beautiful, restorable FLH for a bobber project. A REAL bobber project. Not just taking off a front fender, adding pipes and straight bars and saying ..."Its a bobber" kinda deal. They old-schooled a bike using old design, which is still classic today. Is it overdone? To an extent.....

Jesse James: Nobody can deny his talent. I'm just tired of hearing him run his mouth, saying how great he is, and who has less talent than him. Of all the people Jesse has been taught by, you'd likely not see one of them, like Fay Butler (Google him) run his mouth, bragging of his talents. They're humble, talented and don't care who knows it. Jesse James should take a page from that book, and just do what he does best-Build bikes. He's a self-taught, genius of metal. We get it. He's one of my personal favorites, but he's anything but humble. I'd love to spend time with him in his shop, and see what really goes on, and learn from him.

OCC: This bike was one of the best I've seen them build. No cookie-cutter bike, and some real initiative and thought. Of course, there was about $3 million in machinery and CNC grinders that helped produce it.

PJD: I like Paul, Jr. I think he has some real talent, and good direction. His bikes are creative, and he thinks outside the box.

The real issue here, is the judging was done by people that know little to nothing about bikes. It was a popularity contest, and if Jesse James hates all the bullshit and drama surrounding these event, (How many times have we all heard him say that "I don't need 6 people who I could care less about tell me how cool my bikes are..!"(Cue farting noise) ) yet he still participates, because he needs the exposure.

This was a popularity contest, no different than American Idol. I take 10 brownie points away from all that participated, because it wasn't about building bikes. It was about media exposure and dick measuring.

"Biker Build-off" was about bike building. The judging was by the people, but they were bikers, not some kid with a cellphone, texting 39 times a day, because he likes David Achuleta or Clay Aiken and wants to knock heads with them.

This was a Discovery Channel ploy to raise ratings.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #76 (permalink)
Resist Tyranny

Garage
I like the GM guys cause they're a lot like the crowd I hang with. One of my friends has a shop where he works on oil field equipment to make a living, but most of the floor space is taken up with classic iron he and other members of our club are working on. He has a mill and a lathe in the back corner where we make many of our own parts. We are constantly pranking one another and busting each others balls. The airplane with the banner was priceless. Riding that bike 1200 miles to the competition proves that it was the only motorcycle there, all the others were just "works of art". I would sure like to see an after show where we could see SR and JR make up, Aaron and Rich sell their bike to someone who will ride it and JJ whine about how he really won the competition but none of the viewers were intelligent enough to realize it. Maybe they could throw in the altercation from the hotel between Richard and Jesse.

later, dozer

p.s. Jesse should call one of his suppliers and order a sense of humor
Old 12-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #77 (permalink)
Flat Land Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59panhead View Post
Man! Its like watchin wrestlemania. Thought there would be a brawl bust out. Who is this black dude mc? They put this circus on, its hard to watch......
I feel the same way. I was afraid I was reading too much into it. But yea, he was hard to watch. At first I had to change channels for awhile and rearranged my thought process. Thank God for "fast forward".
Old Coot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #78 (permalink)
Flat Land Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo44 View Post
That dude has a serious chip on his shoulders. He's talked more crap than ANY of 'em!! I don't know his whole story, but something must've happened to him recently, 'cause he's acting like a cornered dog. It's kind of f'd up, actually. No class.
He acted like he had a problem holding his head up and looking people in the eyes. Very suspect body language.
Old Coot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #79 (permalink)

After watching the last buildoff, I knew better than to waste my time watchng this one. I tuned in for the last 15 or 20 minutes to see who won, and it was that parts-magnet led sled...yuck. The Gas Monkey bike was the cleanest, coolest bike there by far. There wasn't much fabed from scratch on it, but it's the final aesthetics and rideability that matter, not how many goofy parts you can make (or program a computer to cut out) and bolt together.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #80 (permalink)
Luke 22:36

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
"Biker Build-off" was about bike building. The judging was by the people, but they were bikers, not some kid with a cellphone, texting 39 times a day, because he likes David Achuleta or Clay Aiken and wants to knock heads with them.

This was a Discovery Channel ploy to raise ratings.
I liked that show Biker Build-off. Motorcycle Mania (the first one) as well. But even with those shows, they got corny too.
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
Kainam is online now   Reply With Quote