E15 - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behr View Post
There is an actual 90 rated fuel that "means" it is true ethanol-free fuel. My buddy told me if it is 87, 89, 91 and they say it is ethanol free- to be careful. They aren't always truly free of ethanol. If it says it is ethanol-free and rated at 90 then you are good to go.

Hope this makes sense.
Ah OK thx. Unfortunately there are NO ethanol free stations in NJ . Damn state is getting as bad as California. The best we can hope for here is that E15 doesn't completely replace E10 at our pumps. That would be a major problem.

The insult to injury for all of us is....ethanol has done nothing to reduce the price of fuel and I suspect E15 will be no different. All it will do is ruin small equipment and motorcycle engines, make our cars get worse fuel mileage, line the pockets of the ethanol lobbyists , further increase food prices and cost station owners more more money for retrofitted or new equipment.
Natty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #22 (permalink)

We are not manufacturing anything except the bikes we ride. Everything else is failing to create jobs. Add more corn to fuel. Breaks down engines increases jobs. Brilliant.
joe1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behr View Post
Damn man, this isnt good at all. I live in the south and with all of the boaters, we have ethanol-free fuel at many gas stations.

Check out this site, maybe you have one nearby:
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Edited to add:
I know someone who works for Chevron (oilfield foreman) he stressed how important it was that you find "90" rated fuel for TRUE ethanol-free fuel.
the chart is great and very helpful but.....

not all of the Ethanol Free stations carry 93 Octane so:

if you have a choice between high octane and Ethanol or lower octane but no ethanol....what do you do.

doesn't HD recommend 93 octane for their motors?
huskerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #24 (permalink)

HD and others do recommend 91 or higher for our engines but that does not stop the ethanol content. You will still have your 15% in the high grade as well.
Now I guess I could go to the airport and start fueling there with 101 octane. Not sure if ethanol is in aircraft fuel. I would think not. Humm something to check out.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by country View Post
HD and others do recommend 91 or higher for our engines but that does not stop the ethanol content. You will still have your 15% in the high grade as well.
Now I guess I could go to the airport and start fueling there with 101 octane. Not sure if ethanol is in aircraft fuel. I would think not. Humm something to check out.
There is no ethanol in aviation fuel, but there is lead and that will mess with the O2 sensors and cats on the newer bikes.
My older bikes run great on it.
and a few more
Onebike2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #26 (permalink)
Parts Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebike2many View Post
There is no ethanol in aviation fuel, but there is lead and that will mess with the O2 sensors and cats on the newer bikes.
My older bikes run great on it.
Agreed, however, its also illegal to sell leaded fuel for street use.

I have a place I can get 112 and 114 octane Sunoco racing fuel. They'll only sell it to you if its placed in a container. I JUST bought today 5 gallons. $9 a gallon. I want to see how the bike runs with it mixed with pump fuel. I'll start at 20%. (One gallon per five)
Old 11-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #27 (permalink)

Just a note. E15 will not be available for some years to come. Chevron has decided not to produce it until more research is done.
Now I would like to know if I were to start putting in an additive to take out the ethanol would I damage anything?
I have been running 91 octane in my 04 wide glide since day one. I have a little over 85k on my bike.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by country View Post
Just a note. E15 will not be available for some years to come. Chevron has decided not to produce it until more research is done.
Now I would like to know if I were to start putting in an additive to take out the ethanol would I damage anything?
I have been running 91 octane in my 04 wide glide since day one. I have a little over 85k on my bike.
There is no easy way to remove the ethanol from the gas, even if you did, the gas that is left would be more harmful to your engine.
Markk9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:17 AM   #29 (permalink)

I read the leaded fuel will ruin O2 sensors.
When I am home I am able to buy 91 octane with no ethanol in it.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
mrmetal is offline   Reply With Quote