Cold-gear to work - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Cold-gear to work

I've been reading posts on cold weather gear........

My issue is that I need to be able to "undress" quickly when I get to work..... not change into other clothes.......but take off the protective outer layer. Any "cheap" options here?
bradahj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
No Whining

I wear a sweater under my leather, insulated chaps over my pants, boots, good winter gauntlet gloves, 1/2 helmet and neoprene face mask. Works for me down to about 35-36 for my 40 minute commute.

'04 Heritage Classic
Stage I
SEII pipes (yeah, it can be loud) K&N a/c
Bike by HD, Sanity by Crown Royal
kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

I wear a uniform. So, over that wear a fleece top with a collar that when zipped, goes to my chin. My entire neck is covered. My leather jacket goes over that. The soft lowers on the bike keep my legs ok with pants to 30*, and no more than a 45 minute ride. Gauntlet gloves for my hands.

If it's below 30* or I'm riding 45 min or more, I have lined pullover ballistic pants with suspenders. Zippers on the lower leg bottoms let me pull them over my boots without taking them off.

Ubber cold riding and I'll wear a hoodie over the fleece. I think because the fleece is mostly polyester, ( plastic) it helps to insulate and keep wind out.

I also wear a snowmobile helmet.

The difference is the chin spoiler send wind away from your neck, the insulation is better, it has few if any vents and the shield is double layered with an air gap to prevent fogging. Its a Bieffe.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage
cold weather ride

How far are you going ?
20 Miles -- 20 +Temp =
good quality fog proof safety glasses ... You are gonna fog your visor no matter what you do.
Full face Helmet that fits well.
Ski style mask that covers from nose to tuck into jacket , loose fitting around face , adjust as needed to controls fogging.(1St. thing to get) Even for cooler weather.
Quality ski. jacket with tall collar, velcro closure. (Spend your time and monies here ,if your core is cold your NOT toast)
Mid arm , snowmobile , Leather , 5 Finger , non insulated ,
very articulated , gloves.
Light weight glove liners, as needed. Practice finding your horn & light & turn switches.
Car-hart style coveralls , The more zippers and velcro , the better to get in and out.
If you wear work boots , Thick socks , Velcro strap your pant legs.
You are going snowmobiling at faster and longer distances .
If you are determined on going Eskimo ,I would subscribe to A snowmobile web site and get all sorts of heated gonad warmers.
If you do-not have bags on your scoot , Use a backpack to carry lighter gear for on the way home , 30 in am 50 in p.m. = extra gear.
I carry ski mask ( 1st. thing to get ) Long gloves (get with ski mask) and hoodie , in my switch back's bags and can go 35 miles in anything dry cold,,, layered under jacket,''''
without damage ,
wiyhout permanent damage,
wyouhth permamamt bramage,,,,,
Go for it..
Ps,

If your parking outside ..note recommended oil weights .. If scooter is going to freeze.
GG686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
STAND AND FIGHT!

I gear down & up at my desk, and I don't remove my boots,

I wear several different types and/or layers of side-zip overpants.

for hot weather, a heavy mesh & ballistic nylon suit stands alone

but came with excellent quilted liner pants with great outside zippers

Leather chaps and those liners for pretty cold, for less cold runners rain-pants

alone over jeans, for really cold both the quilted liners and the rain-pants

offers great versatility. For the most extreme situation, 2 piece rain-suit over it all.

Walls/Carhart insulted work coveralls not cheap for work clothes, but cheap

compared to a leather jacket. In about 4 kinds of extreme, arctic, wet arctic,

dark side of the moon. Etc. Also in bib-overalls, for under a leather jacket

A leather jacket is good for another 10 degrees with an easily stashed

hooded nylon windbreaker over it.

Some days you feel like TORQUE!
Some days you feel like HORSEPOWER!

Once you establish yourself as an eccentric,
you rarely have to explain your actions.

Something a guy at a HD parts counter told me 30 years ago,
"You know what I'd do with that bike if it was mine? RIDE IT! Nothin' else ."

Last edited by Nathang; 10-25-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Nathang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rider

Garage
Carhart or Smithfield overalls. They have big zippers up each leg up to the thigh and another zipper down the front. I can get them on and off in a few seconds. That's over my clothes and with shoes on.

Tractor Supply carries them. And they are very warm.

"I know who I am and I know who you are and nothing else matters. All that does matter is the life we live." -Bobby Dunbar (Bruce Anderson)
"Lead and extraordinary life" -Hellen
What is your purpose in life? I am doing mine.

1975 Yamaha XS500
2002 Suzuki Volusia
2010 Electra Glide Ultra Classic - Totaled 9-24-13
2014 Electra Glide Ultra Classic - April 2014!!!
Da_Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
2014 FLHXS

Garage
I've not yet had to do it but I have a hunting overall jumpsuit sort of thing that could go over a suit if I needed it to. Carry some shoes to change into and you'd be good to go in about a minute.
Wrgiacona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
SLV
Bass Player

FirstGear HT Overpants

Excellent Product. Waterproof, zip-on/zip-off, removable liner for warmer weather. I use the shell for rain wear when it isn't so cold. Nice and warm when the liner is in.

Toasty, comfy and dry.

SLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Armed&Conscientious

Garage
It was 33' here this morning, I wore a fleece under my leather jacket, work boots a full face helmet, gauntlet gloves(snowmobile) and for the first time I wore chaps today. If it is below 40 tomorrow I will cover my neck better, I didn't zip the fleece all the way up. The gloves were cumbersome but I think I will get used to them.
Downeasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage
I wear a pair of long johns under my khakis and keep a pair of shoes at work. All I do is remove the jacket and neck and face scarf, and my boots and I am good to go.
Pvirga88 is offline   Reply With Quote