Another Bike Down - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
I'll help you hide the body

Another Bike Down

My commute takes me through about 20 miles of major highway that is under destruction (construction). And will be for the next 2 yrs. I-595 Construction Updates

I know this and use caution but my gripe is they are not changing signs or providing enough information/signage to drivers along the roadway. We have a lot of tourist and seasonal drivers that may not have been in the loop on this and add to the chaos.

For example overnight they will shift/move lanes or barricades and there is no sign for new traffic pattern! As a result of changing they are paving /patching bits and pieces with no regard for the road surface other than, it's okay if we don't lose a semi in the pothole!

I rode the highway on Saturday, and I had a scare... I got caught in uneven lanes. NO sign! NO warning! The problem is, this is not like a highway resurface where they leave an edge at a lane, this thing weaved along the entire lane from left to right and back.
Each time I got the bike settled it would change again. Just downright unnerving.

The point of all this is there was another Biker down this AM along this highway project. By the time I rolled past the rider was already cleared from the scene. I have no clue on their condition, nor the reason for the crash.

I told myself this AM that I will no longer ride this highway until they have substantially completed this project. Driving that highway is nuts, never mind riding it. I will figure in extra time and find other ways around. I refuse to be a victim.

Sorry, I had to rant, but this is the 4th biker/bike I have seen with my own eyes down in a month. (Not all on the same highway) Two were in another highway project along I95. 95 Express They do a slightly better job of signage only because they don't seem to move as fast.

borrowed from gtrman66
Rules:
#1. Post #1: "New to Community"
#2. Buy a HD Service Manual, best $70 you'll spend
#3. Try the search function, we might have already answered your question
#4. Don't post classifieds until you meet the rules
#5. Don't bad mouth dealers until we know you, there are always 2 sides
misinlink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
VA Fender Bender

Garage
unnerving for sure. be careful out there.
dmwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
THE Yuppie Outlaw

Garage
Your statement that it is nuts to drive let alone ride could not be more fitting to transportation in general.

My job keeps me on the road driving to jobsites, walkthroughs, meetings, etc and you would not believe the stuff I see. From men and women pleasuring themselves to people reading books. Forget texting, people actually read books while they are diving. Add in the 16-18 year old kids and 90 year old geriatrics and the road is a dangerous place in a jacked up SUV let alone a on a bike.

It sure seems like everyone is more interested in everything other than operating their motor vehicle. Throw in some construction and you might as well just lay it over yourself and be done with it.
Diezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

different circumstances altogether but another one down,

i live in mostly rural ne La. , my local paper had an article about a 2013 HD driver having a wreck yesterday in a community nearby, lost control in a slight curve, not impaired, no other vehicle involved wearing a helment not approved by DOT , unspecified significant injuries.
i bought my Sportster in March this year , had been 35 years since i had my last bike, i now have +6500 miles and it has taken longer to really feel cautiously comfortable than it did when i was younger for sure, of course highway issues and drivers seem to have wigged out a bit too seems like.

i don't know if this rider had been a bike rider before or not. i avoid construction zones too , too many drivers are either eating , drinking , texting or seem to have some portion of their head up their a$s. upgraded my rear lights to running/brake/signal , added aux. front lights and wear a bright color helment, sometimes i like to blend in -----sometimes i don't.
Ralph in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

Glad your okay to tell the tale link.. construction is dangerous a lot more than people think. Ran across that uneven lane thing this summer, that sharp edge to hop on to the next lane had going down written all over it. Rode in back of some moron doing 55 in a 65, had to stay there till we hit concrete that hadn't been shaved down. On the way back.. not so lucky, they ended the damn lane I was in. I let the cagers fly by, looked for no traffic, dropped my speed big time and cut across with as much angle as I could get. Worked like a charm, really don't want to make that move again.
I run my cage to work, between construction and idiots its just too risky.

"Give her full throttle till ya see God... then back off"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezel View Post
Golds bike sounds like a 66' Chevelle. It's amazing.
GotGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Harley Rider

Garage
It is definitely unnerving when the bike hits that kind of pavement or lack of it. There is some close by me here although not that extreme but it will get your attention when you hit it. And no there are not any signs here either. There is one sign on that road that says how many motorcycle deaths have occured on the highway since 2007. It kinda gives you a warm feeling. (not) Stay safe!!!
TmikeX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

I feel your frustration. Here it is never ending road construction. Sucks but just gotta deal with it. If a road I travel frequently gets nuts because of construction I will also find an anternate route. Hang in there Link....
“Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work. I think, "It is better to drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
- Babe Ruth
Tailgunner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Road construction sucks. I've been having to deal with it for the past year on Hwy 101 between Hollister and Salinas, CA on my daily commute to and from work. Major contruction with 4 new overpasses and ramps. Lanes were shifted and have uneven seams all over the place. Slow moving semi tractors entering the highway making traffic move to the left to get out of their way. I've almost bought it 3 times this year. With the winter season and rains coming up, I don't see them finishing this until well into next year at least.
RAD_Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Sometimes, the subtle reminders of the risks we take, doing something we love, are unnerving.

Glad it wasn't you Garth.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
Sometimes, the subtle reminders of the risks we take, doing something we love, are unnerving.

Glad it wasn't you Garth.
That right, Dave.

And it's only the LOVE for riding that keeps us going despite the risks.

The scariest thing I face every day is the truth that one day I'll no longer be physically able to ride. That scares me more than teenagers texting while driving cars. More than deer jumping into the road while I'm doing 80. More than old ladies s-l-o-w-l-y pulling right out in front of me at intersections. More than heavy traffic in construction zones. More than loose gravel in the middle of a switchback.

So I ride. Every Single Day. I pay attention, make no mistake about that. But I ride.