First Time Gear - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
THE Yuppie Outlaw

Garage
Your Oakleys will be fine.

Any pair of boots will be fine. Hiking, work, riding. It's all good.

Just buy the cheapest pair of gloves at the dealer. They will last and will come in handy.

You will most likely need a helmet. It's a good purchase in case you ever ride through a helmet state.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Diezel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Boooya!!!

I find that the mechanixwear leather gloves are great for warm weather riding. very comfortable too. you can usually find em at your local hardware store . I used to ride dirt and compared some of the gloves found em to be the same at half the price.

Father giving advice to son: Never do anything once around the house that you don't want to do for the rest of your life.
- Frank Briggs

A man isn't a man until he has to meet a payroll.
- Ivan Shaffer

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
- Dean Martin
streetnoyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

I bought a nice pair of harley boots. they were some of the most uncomfortable boots I've ever had. only worn once. I usually end up wearing my steel toed work boots.

when it comes to gloves, I prefer comfortable black leather. I got a great pair from a local Farm and Home store.

I also took the safety class. there was a lot of it that was a waste, but there were a few tips and ideas that have really kept me safer.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNT View Post
Before I go any further:

I'd like to thank everyone on this forum. I've been reading the many threads and have already gotten a lot of questions answered. You guys are cool. I look forward to finally getting my new bike in a few short months!

But first things first. I have to get my motorcycle license. My class is coming up fast (November 18). The class has some requirements for garment so I thought I would ask opinions here.

* Footwear. I must use leather boots that cover the entire foot. Recommendations?

* Longsleeve shirt. Yeah, I got that.

* Longsleeve coat. Got that, two. I have a nice jean jacket I can wear.

* Gloves. Must cover the hands and be leather. Ideas?

* Pants. Levi's jeans, of course.

* Riding glasses. Ideas on this one? I assume my Oakleys will not cut it.

Thank you all for your help.

JamesNT
Oakleys are fine
Decent workboots are fine.

If you are going to take the class at a dealership, many of the classes work out a 10% discount during the class. Buy it then.

It may be that the only purpose for your life is to serve as a warning to others.
nipplesurfer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
In the wind

Take a look at River Road gear. Nice stuff, reasonably priced. Good website to check it all out.
It will be hard to get away from China stuff unless you pay the made in the USA premium.
NCWSporty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Go SEAHAWKS!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD_Softail View Post
Remember...this is just for the class. You don't need to rush off and get a bunch of expensive riding gear for this class and then end up not wearing it after you pass your class.

I just wore what I had on-hand: a long sleeved denim shirt, jeans, a regular heavy long sleeved jacket with a liner and some old hiking boots I had lying around that covered the ankle. I used the helmet they provided. The only thing I bought for the class were a good set of leather gauntlet gloves. My class was in January and it was cold and foggy. Dress warm, in layers, so you can remove clothing as the day warms up.

After you pass the class, then go shopping for the gear that you really want .
+1. That is damn good advice> the only thing I have to add, is to consider the type of riding you will be doing, the time of year etc.

"It's easy to curb the freedoms of others when you see no immediate impact on your own."
Malcolm Forbes

"Give the gift of your absence to those who do not appreciate your presence."

2000 Wide Glide Stage II
StillBill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #17 (permalink)

Under armour cold gear is a must for winter riding in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Hog runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #18 (permalink)

Garage
Schmidty's,

The class does require helmets. Although they do provide them, I have my own. My uncle gave it to me. He's one of those Harley guys that takes such great care of his stuff, the helmet still looks and even smells like it's brand new even though it's almost 3 years old. My apologies for the confusion.

HDSickness,

LOL! You definitly have the sickness! I was looking online at the local store's website. They do have some nice stuff and I do see some Harley boots in my near future, but it is expensive. I'll save that stuff for the day I get my bike.

secoleman,

It seems a lot of guys I've met use work boots and safety glasses for riding gear. The reason is usually because work provides them so no money involved. We do have a Harbor Freight in town so I'll check them out. Thanks for the heads up!

mrmetal,

Thanks for the heads up. You're quite correct. If I spend almost $200 on a pair of gloves, they need to last a long time regardless of who stamped their name on them. I typed in "motorcycle gloves" on Amazon.com. Saw some neat stuff that didn't cost an arm and a leg. You recommend any of those?

Huskerbob,

Hey! Got a pro photographer pal that takes pictures of the Husker Hotties all the time! Does great work! His name is Jimi. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I think I will take it very easy during the course and not buy anything expensive. Besides, this close the Xmas my wife would kill me, anyway!

Russ,

I'll write down those names. Saw them on Amazon.com, also. After the class, I'll check them out as I'll want to have all that stuff ready they day I get the ride.

Rad,

I do have some old boots laying around, but they are worn and may not be acceptable for the class. Old pair of steel toes I had back in the day when I worked on a manufacturing floor. They have sections peeling off them! My class is in two weeks, so it may be cold by then.

Thank you, everyone! I have to admit, this is starting to feel like it's going to be way easier than I thought it would! And I'm getting pumped!

JamesNT
JamesNT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ms. Subtle

it will be easier than you think... my best advice.. relax and enjoy the class!

as for the boots.. you can get boots that look like harley boots for way less .. that HD adds to cost.. not necessarily value.. i prefer Red Wings myself.. i have a few pair i wear to ride in but my red wings are my fave by far

:
3OliveMartini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #20 (permalink)

Garage
Just got back from the Harley shop. HDSickness is right. The cute little girl with the nice rack behind the counter can most certainly hook you up with all the gear you need if you just give her your credit card. Of course, there may not be much of a credit card left over when she's done.

I did get a helmet and gloves on the cheap. The boots are going to have to come from some place else. Way to expensive at the Harley shop.

JamesNT
JamesNT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.