Your Spouse and Your Bike - Page 11 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > General Forum > General Motorcycle Related

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #101 (permalink)

This wife says ...life is short, get your bike and ride. Wished I had figured this out before I turned 50! I love riding my new RG. The hard part is deciding what chrome I want to put on my X-mas list!!
DJ79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #102 (permalink)

Do yourself a favor and save the money up. Don't make payments on a luxury item, especially one that depreciates. That's what I did, and my wife knew for years what I was saving for. It didn't hurt the budget, so she was completely ok with it. Once you've saved the money up, you will be very selective on writing that check.
Lastly, my wife didn't know how much she would enjoy riding, until she got some good time in on the bike with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
voice of reason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #103 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZNOG View Post
1998, owned a '66 Ironhead when I met my then GF.
(Bought the Sporty in 1990)

Dec, 2005. Put a downpayment on an '06 Dyna. Told GF I just bought myself a NEW Harley for Xmas.

Her: Tell me, does this one have 2 seats?
Me: No.
Her: Well I hope you enjoy it.

I married her 7 months later, she's a keeper!

Fast forward - Summer 2011. Test rode 2 Ultras with The Warden.
Dec, 2011: Bought an Ultra Classic Limited.
7000 miles together on it so far.

Still have all 3 bikes and the Warden. Life is good.

Good woman.

Chief Illiniwek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #104 (permalink)

Spouse support

Well let me start by saying I have been married almost 20 years. Been riding since I was 13, (Jap bikes) Back in 2007 I bought a brand new "Ninja" paid cash (no Payments.) My kids loved it and I was the "cool" dad for about a year. The bike was ok but I could not stay on it more than a couple of hours as my knees would just kill me. During that year, my wife never looked at the bike, and never tried to ride on it with me. I sold that bike a year later. I always wanted a Harley and a touring bike, and so this year in January I bought a 2007 Ultra Classic.

I got the wife unit on the back end and went to some functions. They were cool to me, not so much for my wife.

I had to keep looking and finally found a group to ride with from the Church and she enjoys that.

Now when I come home from being on the road the first thing she asks me is where are we taking the bike? Man I tell you that is the best feeling to have when you know your better half is onboard.

Now lately I have been dropping the bomb on purchasing a new one in a couple of years. We will see how that goes. lol

Glenn Williams
Old 11-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #105 (permalink)
JPR

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredog View Post
This is going to sound a little corny, but a motorcycle probably saved our marriage. It was about 4 years ago, and we were really drifting apart. We were pretty much living totally separate lives.

Thinking that maybe if I bought a bike it would be something we could do together I bought a jap cruiser and surprised her with it. She had ridden before, maybe 20 years before so she wasn't completely unfamiliar with bikes. But her response at the time was 'well I hope you enjoy it'. So I did. Rode it all over the place for about 3-4 months before she finally decided to give it a try and go for a ride with me. She kind of wrote it off as 'ok, no big deal', but slowly she wanted to ride more and more. A couple of years later we bought the Limited and so far have put on 30,000 miles, maybe 90% of that two-up.

The marriage isn't perfect but it is a lot better today.
THAT is infinitely better than having a BABY to "save" the mariage.

I think therefore I am (Cogito Ergo Sum) Descartes
I ride therefore I am (Veho Ergo Sum) JPR

65 Italian scooter
66 305 Rice burner; NO PROBLEMS
67 650 English Bike; MAJOR PROBLEMS
1968/XLCH - lots of mods; loved it for 11 years; NO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS
2012 Heritage 103 Rush 2.0 pipes "MAMBO #5"
bought all brand new except scooter

There's a picture of the sportster after all the mods in my images file.
JPR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #106 (permalink)
JPR

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffler Bearing View Post
James I Got Good News For You!!

1..You are allowed $200 month payment now.
2..You got a $3,000 refund coming. You can use.

Now follow me here: Your $3,000 refund means you are paying the guberment $250.00 per month more than you need to.

So you actually have:

1..$200 mo.
2..$3grand down
3..$250.

$3,000 down and $450.00 month availiblle for payment.

So your only decision now is?
What Color You Getting?
But the BUSH tax cuts for the rich which are not being renewed after Jan 1 are going to cost the average not rich guy over $300/ month.
BETTER BUY IT NOW BEFORE THE POPULATION REALIZES WHAT OBAMA HAS DONE.

I think therefore I am (Cogito Ergo Sum) Descartes
I ride therefore I am (Veho Ergo Sum) JPR

65 Italian scooter
66 305 Rice burner; NO PROBLEMS
67 650 English Bike; MAJOR PROBLEMS
1968/XLCH - lots of mods; loved it for 11 years; NO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS
2012 Heritage 103 Rush 2.0 pipes "MAMBO #5"
bought all brand new except scooter

There's a picture of the sportster after all the mods in my images file.
JPR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #107 (permalink)
Troll-Paul

Hello all,
I was married for 28 yrs,got tired of her SXXX.
If I ever get a new Ole lady will be My WAY or The Highway.
End of story.

Ben Franklin
Rhoda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #108 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3dd View Post
Not a water-proof case for the finances of buying a Harley, but should soften the finances a bit. My vehicle is a Ford F-150, and it gets apr. 18 mpg. At $4/gal it costs me about $60/week commuting to work. The Harley gets 42 mpg and only costs me about $20/week to commute. Living in Colorado i can commute on the bike about 3/4 of the year, or 39 weeks. A $40/week difference for 39 weeks saves me $1560 a year in gas, which means up to $130/month of motorcycle payment is already paid for out of money that would have gone towards gas. Obviously this is a more effective justification if you live somewhere you can commute year round, less effective if you can't use the bike for as many months, and completely pointless if you can't use the bike for commuting. Saddlebags and cold weather gear are highly recommended to compliment this strategy... As it was 28 degrees this morning when I headed into the office, and if I wear my cold weather stuff on the way home this afternoon I might drown in a pool of my own sweat. Hope this helps and good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
I've been wanting to get back on a bike since I sold mine over 3 years ago. I recently got a new job (more $$$) that's 80 miles round trip longer than previous one. I used this ^^^ argument to persuade her that we couldn't afford NOT to get one. After new tires/oil change/insurance/helmet/jacket/and now warm weather gear, she says we can't afford to save any more money. So be prepared to not save much at first lol.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Smitty404 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #109 (permalink)

She sold a horse that she could no longer ride and she made me buy a harley with the money. You see, I was riding a friends honda and she knew how much that hurt my spirit. I may have traded that sporty but I will NEVER trade her!

I am blessed!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com App
Old 11-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #110 (permalink)
Living the dream

Garage
I'm also trying to save so I don't have to have payments. For me to know what I want I'm thinking of renting bikes after I get my m-license. In a bit of irony, to pay for those rentals I'll have to use funds from my "Harley account" which means it'll take a little longer for me to be a first-time Harley owner. sdown

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.